Suns updates and discussion for the 2023-24 season

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This team simply isn't buying into Vogel's system. Our guys are not even attempting to run down the 3 point shooters is pathetic. I lost count how many times as of late our guys (like Booker, Gordon, KD, Beal) don't even bother to run out to the shooter. They just stand their and watch. The rest of the time, our guys are simply out of position because everybody is sagging down to help in the paint or caught in bad rotations. This team's defense is beyond bad.

Also, what is the point of having Nurk if you can't depend on him down the stretch? I have seen enough of this small ball crap at the end of games. We can't rebound, we can't score down low, we get no 2nd chance points. That lineup plays zero defense. Do we really need to see that lineup any longer at the end of games?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This team simply isn't buying into Vogel's system. Our guys are not even attempting to run down the 3 point shooters is pathetic. I lost count how many times as of late our guys (like Booker, Gordon, KD, Beal) don't even bother to run out to the shooter. They just stand their and watch. The rest of the time, our guys are simply out of position because everybody is sagging down to help in the paint or caught in bad rotations. This team's defense is beyond bad.

Also, what is the point of having Nurk if you can't depend on him down the stretch? I have seen enough of this small ball crap at the end of games. We can't rebound, we can't score down low, we get no 2nd chance points. That lineup plays zero defense. Do we really need to see that lineup any longer at the end of games?
You think Vogel has a system?

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We are just not as good as we thought. Where we go from here I am still on board but I think its time to break it up and get back whatever we can. Start the rebuild process as soon as possible.

I been wrong on so many things.. just hope I am wrong on this also.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Going to be interesting to see what Ishbia is going to do.

This season is done, get some reps on some other guys and fire Vogel and most of his staff immediately after the final game and get a coach in ASAP, so we have a few months to adjust. James Jones should probably go as well, hopefully that can be done before the draft, because it would be great to bring someone in that actually cares about the draft. That needs to happen immediately so we don't let JJ make that pick.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Going to be interesting to see what Ishbia is going to do.

This season is done, get some reps on some other guys and fire Vogel and most of his staff immediately after the final game and get a coach in ASAP, so we have a few months to adjust. James Jones should probably go as well, hopefully that can be done before the draft, because it would be great to bring someone in that actually cares about the draft. That needs to happen immediately so we don't let JJ make that pick.

Jones should not have a say in who the next coach is. He was a co-GM when Igor came in and then he was full GM for Monty and Vogel. Monty wasn't bad but he wasn't leading us further than we went already. Vogel has been a disaster.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we need to head KD off at the pass, get him out before he demands out. We won't get anything near what we paid to get him but, despite his good baseline stats, he just isn't impacting games. Hope the Thunder flame out of the playoffs early and we can ship him there for some of their picks and a decent young player.

We also have to finagle this without Booker demanding out, because bottoming out isn't an option. After this season we likely won't be picking with our own pick until 3031.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So looking at our contract situation...

We will have KD, Beal, Book, Nurk, Nassir and Drew signed for next year.

We have one team option, David Roddy. I'd expect us to go ahead and exercise it.

We have 3 PLAYER Options: Damion Lee, Josh Okogie and Eric Gordon. I honestly wouldn't be too upset if neither of them exercises that option.

We really have only 3 guys that aren't signed for next year that we will look to keep: Grayson, Royce and Bol Bol.

So we won't be in the same boat we were last summer where we had a ton of open roster spots. And even with our struggles, I'd say there is a good chance all 3 of those guys not signed for next year will resign with us.

KD is making 51m dollars next year. We can talk about trading him all we want, it's going to be really hard to do that -- regardless of whatever value people think he has now.

All this says that the EASIEST way to make a change to this team, especially if you want a DRASTIC change, is in the coaching. Period, end of statement.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The problem with JJ getting fired, is he basically made his way doing exactly what Sarver wanted. Then Ishbia comes in and says get the KD deal done, and he obliged. He did pull a rabbit out of the hat with the Beal trade. We basically jettisoned a non performing CP3 at the time, and a bust in Landry Shammet. So sadly, I am expecting JJ to get more rope with Ishbia.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we need to head KD off at the pass, get him out before he demands out. We won't get anything near what we paid to get him but, despite his good baseline stats, he just isn't impacting games. Hope the Thunder flame out of the playoffs early and we can ship him there for some of their picks and a decent young player.

We also have to finagle this without Booker demanding out, because bottoming out isn't an option. After this season we likely won't be picking with our own pick until 3031.

Word came out the Warriors inquired about Lebrons availability at the deadline. I'd get them on the phone to see what they'll part with for KD. He opens their window back up, if only for a year. We likely end up with Wiggins to make salaries work but if we can get a pair of 1sts and Kuminga along with Wiggins, maybe Moody or Podz also, I'd do that.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We also have to finagle this without Booker demanding out, because bottoming out isn't an option.
It's not. Book will demand a trade before going through another bottom out stretch IMO. The expectations are set. He will demand stars play with him and the team be in contention.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
So looking at our contract situation...

We will have KD, Beal, Book, Nurk, Nassir and Drew signed for next year.

We have one team option, David Roddy. I'd expect us to go ahead and exercise it.

We have 3 PLAYER Options: Damion Lee, Josh Okogie and Eric Gordon. I honestly wouldn't be too upset if neither of them exercises that option.

We really have only 3 guys that aren't signed for next year that we will look to keep: Grayson, Royce and Bol Bol.

So we won't be in the same boat we were last summer where we had a ton of open roster spots. And even with our struggles, I'd say there is a good chance all 3 of those guys not signed for next year will resign with us.

KD is making 51m dollars next year. We can talk about trading him all we want, it's going to be really hard to do that -- regardless of whatever value people think he has now.

All this says that the EASIEST way to make a change to this team, especially if you want a DRASTIC change, is in the coaching. Period, end of statement.
I have seen we can resign Allen and Royce. I don't know the situation with Bol Bol and us resigning him, but if we can resign him, he's starting from a low salary to start with.

No way we can trade KD. That salary IS too large, 100%. Best far out wish is for someone like Giannis suddenly demanding to come to PHX only or retire. LMAO. There is no easy way out.

We do have to get better on defense. When you shoot 58% as a team and get outscored by double digits, your defense sucks.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Word came out the Warriors inquired about Lebrons availability at the deadline. I'd get them on the phone to see what they'll part with for KD. He opens their window back up, if only for a year. We likely end up with Wiggins to make salaries work but if we can get a pair of 1sts and Kuminga along with Wiggins, maybe Moody or Podz also, I'd do that.

Can't trade with the Warriors, they're a fellow 2nd apron team. The trade would have to be 1 for 1 with the salaries matching to the dollar.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's not. Book will demand a trade before going through another bottom out stretch IMO. The expectations are set. He will demand stars play with him and the team be in contention.

This team is going nowhere. You have no more insight into what Booker wants than anyone here. Quit pretending you do. Booker has given zero indication he wants out. You can't be afraid of upsetting him while attempting to better the team. If he ends up demanding a trade then so be it. He knows this squad needs major changes though.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We have this years pick and another the year after next. Remember you can’t trade consecutive firsts.

Plus Washington owns swap rights. In the event we get a great pick, they take it. Thankfully they suck too but knowing a tank job could cost us in a big way essentially eliminates the idea.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This team is going nowhere. You have no more insight into what Booker wants than anyone here. Quit pretending you do. Booker has given zero indication he wants out. You can't be afraid of upsetting him while attempting to better the team. If he ends up demanding a trade then so be it. He knows this squad needs major changes though.
There you can AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN. Nobody said I had anymore insight. Try and follow along. Phrazbit said something similar and I was responding to that comment (agreeing). So, why didn't you say we both didn't have any insight other then you just being petty? Oh, that's right because you can't read, are too busy putting words into peoples mouths and not understanding it's a forum with opinions.....AGAIN.

Let me help you out for the umpteenth time.

"It's not. Book will demand a trade before going through another bottom out stretch IMO."

You have some serious issues.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might do that but there’s no way in hell GS does. It’s just not realistic to believe they’d give Kuminga, Moody or Podz and 2 first round picks for one year of a window.

Last edited:

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The problem with JJ getting fired, is he basically made his way doing exactly what Sarver wanted. Then Ishbia comes in and says get the KD deal done, and he obliged. He did pull a rabbit out of the hat with the Beal trade. We basically jettisoned a non performing CP3 at the time, and a bust in Landry Shammet. So sadly, I am expecting JJ to get more rope with Ishbia.

JJ didn’t call the shots here. He had Ishbia’s request for Kd. Then add Bartlestein and the shadow GM-IT.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Plus Washington owns swap rights. In the event we get a great pick, they take it. Thankfully they suck too but knowing a tank job could cost us in a big way essentially eliminates the idea.
LOL

No matter what this board thinks, our pick this year has ZERO chance of being good enough that WASHINGTON will swap. Tank or no tank.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
LOL

No matter what this board thinks, our pick this year has ZERO chance of being good enough that WASHINGTON will swap. Tank or no tank.

They have swap rights this year, 2026, 2028 and 2030. You can't say where we'll be or the Wizards that far down the line. Plus even if we win the lottery, our pick is gone. So it's vital we make the playoffs each of those years, as well as the others since Brooklyn owns those picks. We really have no desirable draft capital. Some of those later picks have 3 teams with the ability to swap so we end up with crap regardless.

Tell me it wouldn't be on brand for Arizona sports to end up winning the draft lottery in a year where someone else can swap their pick with ours also. I don't care how small the odds of us winning are. Even moving up isn't likely to benefit us.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
They have swap rights this year, 2026, 2028 and 2030. You can't say where we'll be or the Wizards that far down the line. Plus even if we win the lottery, our pick is gone. So it's vital we make the playoffs each of those years, as well as the others since Brooklyn owns those picks. We really have no desirable draft capital. Some of those later picks have 3 teams with the ability to swap so we end up with crap regardless.

Tell me it wouldn't be on brand for Arizona sports to end up winning the draft lottery in a year where someone else can swap their pick with ours also. I don't care how small the odds of us winning are. Even moving up isn't likely to benefit us.

It happened to the Panthers this year lol

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard