Suns updates and discussion for the 2023-24 season

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure and that is with KD missing 7 games, Booker 14, Beal 29, EG 13, Nurk 4, Eubanks 6 and GA 6. We have easily been one of the more banged up teams in the league while not exactly having a ton of depth and yet have a 58% win percentage. Not crazy to think this team could be pretty darn good with everyone healthy for a decent stretch of time.
To be honest, the only thing really crazy is to think this team could ever be healthy with everyone playing for a decent stretch of time. In fact, considering how many games Book, KD, Nurk and Beal usually miss the part three or four years of their respective careers, the scary thing moving forward is this year they’ve been cumulatively MORE healthy than usual. Book has missed his usual 13 games, Beal has missed his normal 29 games, but Nurk and KD missing only 4 and 7 games is unheard of for them lately.

So based on the past three or four years, this year looks like the anomaly of “good health” which likely will be tough to reproduce considering Nurkic and KD injury history, especially because they’re only getting older, as is Beal.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sure and that is with KD missing 7 games, Booker 14, Beal 29, EG 13, Nurk 4, Eubanks 6 and GA 6. We have easily been one of the more banged up teams in the league while not exactly having a ton of depth and yet have a 58% win percentage. Not crazy to think this team could be pretty darn good with everyone healthy for a decent stretch of time.

The injuries were to be completely expected with this roster, they are a feature of these players. If anything some of these guys are having their healthiest season in a long time.

Durant, Beal, Nurk, Gordon, These guys miss ~40 games per season like clockwork.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The injuries were to be completely expected with this roster, they are a feature of these players. If anything some of these guys are having their healthiest season in a long time.

Durant, Beal, Nurk, Gordon, These guys miss ~40 games per season like clockwork.
Of course and that was one of the potential pitfalls of putting this roster together, but these guys missing games is still a factor in the record.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Of course and that was one of the potential pitfalls of putting this roster together, but these guys missing games is still a factor in the record.

I just don't consider it an excuse, because, as it's been noted, we've actually been less injured than one would expect.

I would put injuries at about... 5th on the list of reasons this team is not a contender.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We've actually missed him IMO... quite a bit. He's the best on ball defender by a mile and he's probably the only guy that really has some dawg in him.

He's a trainwreck on offense, but having a guy who can actually harass the other team's ball handlers and, most importantly, not let his man blow by him, is something we entirely lack.
If we make the playoffs he’ll be unplayable again.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
It's not the team record 12 over .500. It's they haven't come close to looking like a championship team.

If we had Booker, a bunch of young talent, cap space and picks we'd all likely be excited about being 12 games over .500. But we leveraged everything possible, money, picks, young talent and we don't look anything like a championship team.

The suns look like a seriously flawed fringe playoff team with a $190,000,000.00 payroll, and no flexibility.

Doesn't really matter what the excuse is, injury, bench, coaching, poor sleep, etc.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I just don't consider it an excuse, because, as it's been noted, we've actually been less injured than one would expect.

I would put injuries at about... 5th on the list of reasons this team is not a contender.
It's not an excuse, it's simply reality. This team would have a better record with better health, but at the same time we knew this was a strong possibility when the team was put together.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cmon man
I recall just off the top of my head
Minny
NO
Miami x 2
Dallas
LA Lakers
And I believe all by 13pts or more
Destroying Sacramento in about 6 mins.
But I can also say Spurs beat us 2x
Less than desired play against many teams. Come playoff time it's on
Glad this is my team
Many of those games those teams were not at full strength. Yes we are not bottom feeders but there is legitimate concern with our record against great teams at full strength. The regular season is supposed to give you an indication of how you perform against those teams. The goal isn't to be 15 or 20 games over .500. It's to win a title. This team doesn't look like a legit title contender.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just curious, what’s the lowest seed to ever make the finals? Allen Houston Knicks come to mind…then there is Miami team of last year. Just pondering.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just curious, what’s the lowest seed to ever make the finals? Allen Houston Knicks come to mind…then there is Miami team of last year. Just pondering.
8 seed last year and that NY squad are the ones.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yeah I just don't buy this at all.

Nothing about Durant or Beals injuries are chronic. Yes some players are more injury prone than others, but there is no reason to expect that past fluke injuries mean future fluke injuries will occur.

Wheras with someone like Kawhi his knee is severely compromised and future injury should be expected.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cmon man
I recall just off the top of my head
Minny
NO
Miami x 2
Dallas
LA Lakers
And I believe all by 13pts or more
Destroying Sacramento in about 6 mins.
But I can also say Spurs beat us 2x
Less than desired play against many teams. Come playoff time it's on
Glad this is my team
Other than Minny those are all average or below teams.

The Suns have had 2 somewhat quality wins all year, 1 against Minny and 1 against Denver.

They have also been obliterated by the Clips, Boston, and Millwaukee.

The Suns are not a good team, it's OK to admit the obvious at this point.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Wasn't that Knicks a strike shortened season as well?
Correct. The ‘99 season was strike shortened. The Rockets are the lowest seed to ever win a title (6 seed). Currently the Suns are in 6th place.

Hopefully we can avoid the play-in. Sacramento and Dallas play each other twice in the next few weeks.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah I just don't buy this at all.

Nothing about Durant or Beals injuries are chronic. Yes some players are more injury prone than others, but there is no reason to expect that past fluke injuries mean future fluke injuries will occur.

Wheras with someone like Kawhi his knee is severely compromised and future injury should be expected.

You don't have 'fluke' injuries for years and years on end. Some guys are better at protecting themselves than others. Also, some guys are legitimately more prone to ankle sprains and ligament injuries.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Many of those games those teams were not at full strength. Yes we are not bottom feeders but there is legitimate concern with our record against great teams at full strength. The regular season is supposed to give you an indication of how you perform against those teams. The goal isn't to be 15 or 20 games over .500. It's to win a title. This team doesn't look like a legit title contender.
And much of the season we haven’t been full strength lol… that’s no excuse for anyone else if we can’t use it ourselves! One could say we still aren’t but getting there….

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Other than Minny those are all average or below teams.

The Suns have had 2 somewhat quality wins all year, 1 against Minny and 1 against Denver.

They have also been obliterated by the Clips, Boston, and Millwaukee.

The Suns are not a good team, it's OK to admit the obvious at this point.
Lol
Insane.
Their records say otherwise
Our record says otherwise
Remember this thread when we're in the WCF. And I'll do the same