Suns updates and discussion for the 2022-23 season

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The issue is Paul's salary becomes guaranteed before free agency starts so he'd have be to waived right after the season. It becomes guaranteed 6/28/23 according to Spotrac.

Most big moves happen right around the draft, that guarantee date is a week after the draft.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adrian Wojnarowski reports the Lakers, Mavericks and Suns have interest in Kyrie Irving.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most big moves happen right around the draft, that guarantee date is a week after the draft.

Deals aren't finalized then. They have to wait until the new NBA year starts, which is why traded draft players don't play on their new teams summer league squads.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
John Gambadoro does not expect O.G. Anunobly to be traded to the Suns.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bit of a Friday night buzz on before I go to sleep, my thoughts may be more clear or less clear than normal... I think more clear in this case.

Kyrie Irving has burned the bridge with every team he has ever played for, screwing each of them worse than the one before.

You'd have to be INSANE to trade for him when he is demanding a long term deal.

Unless you're giving up NOTHING of value, this is insanity.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If Jae is allegedly not playing because of a conflict with Monty, and Ayton and Monty didn’t even speak for months after coach allegedly said Ayton quit on the team, how could we expect Kyrie to coexist here?

Not making Monty the villain here: I’m sure Kyrie would be 90% of the problem.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Jae is allegedly not playing because of a conflict with Monty, and Ayton and Monty didn’t even speak for months after coach allegedly said Ayton quit on the team, how could we expect Kyrie to coexist here?

Not making Monty the villain here: I’m sure Kyrie would be 90% of the problem.
Monty doesn’t strike me as someone who can handle overly volatile personalities.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Kyrie Irving is a transcendent basketball player, there is no question about that. But when there is more talk about dealing with him as a person, then you know there are a boatload of red flags. I would LOVE Kyrie the basketball player on the Suns, but I wouldn't want Kyrie the personality on the Suns. That's the bottom line, and I'm sure that is the prevailing opinion on him throughout the league outside of Brooklyn. Hell, maybe even Brooklyn thinks that as well which is why they didn't give him the extension.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bit of a Friday night buzz on before I go to sleep, my thoughts may be more clear or less clear than normal... I think more clear in this case.

Kyrie Irving has burned the bridge with every team he has ever played for, screwing each of them worse than the one before.

You'd have to be INSANE to trade for him when he is demanding a long term deal.

Unless you're giving up NOTHING of value, this is insanity.

It sounds like a Kyrie to the Lakers scenario is in play. This should raise red flags with the NBA, but I doubt it will.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like a Kyrie to the Lakers scenario is in play. This should raise red flags with the NBA, but I doubt it will.

Why raise red flags? I don't see an issue. Kyrie doesn't have real value. The Lakers don't have real value to give up in a deal so it's swapping trash for trash, basically. I think LA's trash may have some recyclable goods mixed in while Brooklyn's trash was once a treasure but it's broken down and possibly volatile at this point. Might need to be quarantined.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Lakers can turn their "trash" into Kyrie to make them a contender, especially if Anthony Davis returns. Kyrie and Lebron are not chopped liver.

If they trade for Kyrie they get his bird rights so they can pay him what he wants in free agency this summer. The Lakers gave up their cap space when they traded for Rui Hachimura so this one of the few ways they can do it.

Pokinmik

Rookie
Reaction score
If we could basically swap cp3 for kyrie I think it would be worth the risk. Kyrie is obviously younger and more athletic and is a guy who we can give the ball to and get a bucket if needed. The reason we lose in the playoffs when we do is because book is the only other guy that can get a solo bucket and it’s too easy for teams to key in on that.

Of course it could be a disaster depending on his attitude but with cp3 I don’t think our ceiling is nearly as high. Kyrie and book clicking in the playoffs would be amazing. Then however it shakes out we go for a younger PG or some other leader in the off-season for 2024 and beyond.

But if he is looking for a long deal pending the trade then everything else is moot. I don’t think signing him long term is wise. I can’t imagine more than a few teams if any will take that risk based on his past.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same guy that said Cp3 wasn't coming to phoenix?
DA was gonna be traded last year?
Stix is a big part of the Suns moving forward?
ok

I don't keep a record of his prognostications. Most of the ones I read are things that aren't going to happen.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The more I think about this more it makes sense for the Lakers. Here is the thing. Their window with LeBron is closing. Post LeBron the Lakers are going to blow it up again and start over. I don’t think Kylie is that big a risk for them and they don’t have to worry about destroying their franchise when the Lakers are a bit of a mess anyway.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why raise red flags? I don't see an issue. Kyrie doesn't have real value. The Lakers don't have real value to give up in a deal so it's swapping trash for trash, basically. I think LA's trash may have some recyclable goods mixed in while Brooklyn's trash was once a treasure but it's broken down and possibly volatile at this point. Might need to be quarantined.
Lebron is probably the only player or coach that can control Kyrie for any length of time (months, no one controls him for years). If the Lakers get him for basically Westbrook and picks, that team will be tough.

And if AD comes back and stays relatively healthy, they will justifiably be the heavy favorite to win it all. It will likely be a disaster for them in the long run but for this season, it could be a disaster for every other team that thinks they have a shot to win it all.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Lakers can turn their "trash" into Kyrie to make them a contender, especially if Anthony Davis returns. Kyrie and Lebron are not chopped liver.

If they trade for Kyrie they get his bird rights so they can pay him what he wants in free agency this summer. The Lakers gave up their cap space when they traded for Rui Hachimura so this one of the few ways they can do it.
There’s nothing below board about any of that as far as the league is concerned.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope the sale of the Suns goes through before the trade deadline so we have an idea if ownership effects trades.

James Jones has a track record of making only slight or minor moves. This may be all that is needed, but I'd like to know money isn't the issue.

Suns need to get some value using Jae Crowder in a trade.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last 10 games

Bridges 23.1 ppg

Last 7 games since coming back

Ayton 22 ppg 13 rpg

Hopefully the development of other scoring options takes some of the defensive pressure off Devin Booker when he returns.

The Suns have needed other go-to scorers when he is double and triple teamed.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hopefully the development of other scoring options takes some of the defensive pressure off Devin Booker when he returns.

The Suns have needed other go-to scorers when he is double and triple teamed.

Both are kind of the same they can score when they play aggressive but both defer to Booker and Paul almost to much at times and they just stop being aggressive.

They went through growing pains this year and you seen them struggle with that stretch and now they look like they are starting to realize how good they can be

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both are kind of the same they can score when they play aggressive but both defer to Booker and Paul almost to much at times and they just stop being aggressive.

They went through growing pains this year and you seen them struggle with that stretch and now they look like they are starting to realize how good they can be

Suns need to use all the tools in their toolbox to be successful in the playoffs. Hopefully, Bridges and Ayton have learned to stay aggressive.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose