Suns updates and discussion for the 2022-23 season

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not really. You watch. People will be talking about it and very soon. Part of the reason is that Mikal is playing for and EC team and those guys are always over-hyped. It's just the nature of the position Mikal is in right now.

BTW, I am not second-guessing this trade in the least. Just predicting how the hype will go.
Who is an example of over-hyped guys just because they’re on the East coast? It’s not like Jalen Brunson or Randle are mentioned as MVP candidates or even franchise players. Only one of them made the All-Star team. Everyone else who’s an East Coast All-Star looks like they belong there.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jimmy Butler, Zach Levine. I know he is not considered a star but RJ Barrett is way overvalued.
Jimmy Butler? That’s ridiculous. He’s been the main cog on a limited team that he took to the Finals and the ECF 2 of the last 3 years, who’s elevated every franchise he’s ever been on, even the freaking T-wolves.

No one regards Lavine that highly, not Barrett.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who is an example of over-hyped guys just because they’re on the East coast? It’s not like Jalen Brunson or Randle are mentioned as MVP candidates or even franchise players. Only one of them made the All-Star team. Everyone else who’s an East Coast All-Star looks like they belong there.
Fair enough. Maybe its more of under-appreciated players in the west.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Randle was viewed as an MVP dark horse 2 years ago, the same season we went to the finals. He was 8th in MVP voting despite the Knicks not being anything special. He was 2nd team All-NBA and won Most Improved Player. Randle was mentioned as a franchise player also until he fell off last year.

Brunson's signing in New York was also lauded by the media as the Knicks turning things around, again, and being a max level franchise PG.

So yeah, there's a bias toward New York. Bring the Knicks to the postseason and you'll be adored by the east coast media.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Randle was viewed as an MVP dark horse 2 years ago, the same season we went to the finals. He was 8th in MVP voting despite the Knicks not being anything special. He was 2nd team All-NBA and won Most Improved Player. Randle was mentioned as a franchise player also until he fell off last year.

Brunson's signing in New York was also lauded by the media as the Knicks turning things around, again, and being a max level franchise PG.

So yeah, there's a bias toward New York. Bring the Knicks to the postseason and you'll be adored by the east coast media.
None of this really happened. Randle had an AWESOME season and made the Knicks relevant with a 4 seed for the first time in close to a decade. That’s why he was 2nd Team All-NBA and 8th in MVP votes… which really isn’t that impressive. And the next year, everyone bashed him and there was talk of even moving him because he play fell off dramatically. So, yeah, when he had a GREAT year, he got big kudos and when he fell from grace, people shredded him. That seems about right.

And most people were saying it was an overpay for Brunson and a typical Knicks move to spend lavishly on a good, but not great player.

You’re creating narratives that didnt and don’t exist.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
None of this really happened. Randle had an AWESOME season and made the Knicks relevant with a 4 seed for the first time in close to a decade. That’s why he was 2nd Team All-NBA and 8th in MVP votes… which really isn’t that impressive. And the next year, everyone bashed him and there was talk of even moving him because he play fell off dramatically. So, yeah, when he had a GREAT year, he got big kudos and when he fell from grace, people shredded him. That seems about right.

And most people were saying it was an overpay for Brunson and a typical Knicks move to spend lavishly on a good, but not great player.

You’re creating narratives that didnt and don’t exist.

It did happen, I didn't create it. Why you're denying it, I don't know but I'm not really surprised. You think you're some sort of official authority on everything so if you don't recall it, surely others are just gaslighting you. It's either that or you're just looking for a fight. I'm not going to argue over what I remember happening. I'll just post evidence of a small push for him to be a dark horse MVP candidate when he really wasn't all that exceptional. If he posted those numbers in Minnesota, no one would have cared. KAT does it regularly, for example. So not sure what you're saying didn't happen, because it did. You even allude to it happening.

Here's some evidence of the "Randle for MVP" stuff...

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well. My contention was not that Mikal will be as valuable as Book, but that he will be seen as that by many east coast media and fans, and that will happen fairly soon. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

East Coasters don't pay much attention to flyover country. And we are flyover country.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well. My contention was not that Mikal will be as valuable as Book, but that he will be seen as that by many east coast media and fans, and that will happen fairly soon. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

East Coasters don't pay much attention to flyover country. And we are flyover country.

The Nets pushed Brook Lopez as a franchise player and All-Star many years ago. It's not uncommon for them to over hype high end role players. I can definitely see the same thing happening with Mikal if he continues being a focal point of their offense.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's when Chris Paul stops pulling players aside and talking basketball I worry.

IMO, the Suns play the best when he is actively involved. Paul is like another coach on the court.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's when Chris Paul stops pulling players aside and talking basketball I worry.

IMO, the Suns play the best when he is actively involved. Paul is like another coach on the court.

Paul seems reinvigorated or more focused since the KD trade. He was going through the motions a bit prior but I think he knows this is it. If he doesn't step it up then he'll be a ring less superstar. Also he needs to be engaged due to how his contract is structured. If he isn't producing then he may get waived. He'll get a nice sum still but he can double that.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This is also why he wears thin on guys after awhile. He’s a micro manager

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is also why he wears thin on guys after awhile. He’s a micro manager

I don't recall seeing any micro managing by Paul against the Mavericks in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Nets pushed Brook Lopez as a franchise player and All-Star many years ago. It's not uncommon for them to over hype high end role players. I can definitely see the same thing happening with Mikal if he continues being a focal point of their offense.
And again, NO ONE took that seriously.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't recall seeing any micro managing by Paul against the Mavericks in the playoffs.

Oh yeah there was. His problem is he doesn’t know when to stop.

The biggest example last year in the playoffs was when he tried to get on Crowder and Crowder completely blew him off. Paul

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah there was. His problem is he doesn’t know when to stop.

The biggest example last year in the playoffs was when he tried to get on Crowder and Crowder completely blew him off. Paul

So this is why Crowder did not play well the last three games of the playoffs last season?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cam Payne is reportedly nearing his return after missing 21 games.

IMO, the Suns might want to seriously think about adding another point guard.

By Kellan Olson, Arizona Sports:

“I’m close. I feel good,” Payne said Thursday. “Played ones today, pretty active. Body feels good, just kind of getting back in shape now.”

--------------------------------------------

Payne, the team’s backup point guard to Chris Paul, last played on Jan. 4. But really, Payne first injured his right foot on Dec. 13. He was then out for nine games before returning for two when he would re-injure that foot.

So really, Payne has missed nearly three months.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cam Payne is reportedly nearing his return after missing 21 games.

IMO, the Suns might want to seriously think about adding another point guard.

By Kellan Olson, Arizona Sports:

“I’m close. I feel good,” Payne said Thursday. “Played ones today, pretty active. Body feels good, just kind of getting back in shape now.”

--------------------------------------------

Payne, the team’s backup point guard to Chris Paul, last played on Jan. 4. But really, Payne first injured his right foot on Dec. 13. He was then out for nine games before returning for two when he would re-injure that foot.

So really, Payne has missed nearly three months.

Thank god!

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Lets hope its good Payne and not bad Pain
Yeah... as we've seen with Payne in the past, when he's not nearly 100% on, he's more of a liability than an asset. And the worst part is that Monty will continue to max his minutes whether it's "good" Payne or "bad" Payne... in the latter case, even to the detriment of the team.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Yeah... as we've seen with Payne in the past, when he's not nearly 100% on, he's more of a liability than an asset. And the worst part is that Monty will continue to max his minutes whether it's "good" Payne or "bad" Payne... in the latter case, even to the detriment of the team.
In hindsight I was really wishing for a Saric/2nd’s for Reggie Jackson swap from Charlotte as a last minute deadline deal. He’s lower energy than Payne but a better fit with this current core. He’s not the penetration & kick guy Cam is but his handle is good enough traffic and he can be an elite set shooter. I remember the Suns having a lot of trouble with him in the conference finals when he was essentially their 2nd best player production wise.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
KD, CP3 and Booker speak the same language, I don't see any problems arising due to CP3 trying to win games.
Let CP3 drive the bus KD don't want that anyway (or so he says).

I'm happy as hell for Mikal, but I know NY fans, they will try to run him out of town for having a bad game.
The good news is if Mikal does have a stinker all he has to do is point at Ben Simons.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
KD, CP3 and Booker speak the same language, I don't see any problems arising due to CP3 trying to win games.
Let CP3 drive the bus KD don't want that anyway (or so he says).

I'm happy as hell for Mikal, but I know NY fans, they will try to run him out of town for having a bad game.
The good news is if Mikal does have a stinker all he has to do is point at Ben Simons.

Booker has to drive the bus. It’s now or never for him. If he ain’t ready by now he never will be