Suns updates and discussion for the 2022-23 season

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I mean do people really believe we are going to get a better player than cam Johnson for crowder, Dario and 2 late first round picks?

2 picks is too high of a price for a rental role player. I like Grant and if he had another year on his deal I might be cool with that deal but he doesn't. 1 pick at the most and I'd say add lottery protection as well because we're another Booker injury from that being a lotto pick.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why don’t people want to replace crowder, who isn’t playing, with grant, who has developed into a legit player? The two firsts will be late firsts.

Cam Johnson doesn’t even need to be mentioned in this discussion.

If we're using our picks in a trade, IMO, it needs to be for a legit upgrade to our main lineup. IMO, Grant is not an upgrade at all.

And, far more concerning, he is about to be an unrestricted free agent AND he is a guy who has already forced his way off teams because he wants a bigger role.

If we trade for him and he ends up on the bench in clutch time (which seems likely given our roster) then he is going to bail in free agency.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
TICK TOCK MFers!
Please do something, anything, I don't even care anymore.
Ill take a 2nd for Crowder

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TICK TOCK MFers!
Please do something, anything, I don't even care anymore.
Ill take a 2nd for Crowder
Not me. If we can't get something that will help us, I'd just release him. I don't think we're going to advance far in postseason but on the off chance it happens, I'd rather not run into the team he's on. I figure he's less likely a to end up on Boston or Milwaukee because 27 other teams would have had a chance to claim him. And that's worth more to me than a late 2nd round pick.

Of course I'm still holding onto the slimmest hope that the new owner patches things up between Jae and whoever.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If we're using our picks in a trade, IMO, it needs to be for a legit upgrade to our main lineup. IMO, Grant is not an upgrade at all.

And, far more concerning, he is about to be an unrestricted free agent AND he is a guy who has already forced his way off teams because he wants a bigger role.

If we trade for him and he ends up on the bench in clutch time (which seems likely given our roster) then he is going to bail in free agency.
Okay then I guess you’re cool with what we’ve got because just trading crowder (who is also a rental) and bench filler ain’t getting us anything of note.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Not me. If we can't get something that will help us, I'd just release him. I don't think we're going to advance far in postseason but on the off chance it happens, I'd rather not run into the team he's on. I figure he's less likely a to end up on Boston or Milwaukee because 27 other teams would have had a chance to claim him. And that's worth more to me than a late 2nd round pick.
I think we will surprise and piss off a lot of ppl in the playoffs THIS year. Little chance of winning AS IS. But we could send some @holes home early.
Not worried about Crowder AT ALL he can't guard Cam or DA he's just a speed bump. Send him to Denver or Boston just so we have a reason to kick his butt.

The revenge tour starts now.

Our bench is as battle tested as any team in the NBA.
Book is back
Cam J is back
Sarver is GONE
DA is BALLIN
Mikal is Ballin
CP3 is balding

It ain't pretty but its what we got.

Suns in 44
Tequila uh huh!

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Okay then I guess you’re cool with what we’ve got because just trading crowder (who is also a rental) and bench filler ain’t getting us anything of note.

I'm not cool with what we've got, but I'd rather stick with it than shoot our load... or half of it at least, for a player that I don't think moves the needle much. If I saw a real difference maker available, I'd be about it, but I don't. He'd be depth for us, not a star. Unless we go with point Booker, Grant wouldn't even feature in our best lineup.

And there is the issue of opportunity cost. Several big names move every off season, if we, right now, dump 2 picks and a massive extension on a role player like Grant, then we are out of the running for any star player who wants to move for the next year or 2.

Also, I think you guys are not grasping Grant as a defender. He's worse than Cam, by metric stats it's not even really close. Grant's been a poor defender his entire career. He isn't a train wreck but he's well below average. Teams don't improve when they get him, they don't get worse when they dump him. He is a static player. He is a role player. He scores points so there is some flash, but he doesn't help much, he doesn't hurt much.

Last edited:

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Not with anywhere near the regularity Grant can. We’re talking about a guy who consistently gets to the line 5 or 6 times per game. Cam doesnt even average 2. Do you know why that is? Hint… it’s because one is superior at creating his own shot and getting to the basket. To even come close to equivocating their games is quite frankly the dumbest comment you made today. Which is saying something.

And AGAIN, we’re talking about if we’d trade Jae, Dario and picks meaning it’s NOT EITHER OR. It’s YES AND that we would be in for.

Incredibly stupid argument especially since you just used the advanced stats argument above. He was averaging 12 ppg and 3.5 rpg in 25 minutes. Run the advance stats there and you’ll find he was a major part of a Denver team that was 2 games away from the Finals, pretty much playing at the same level Cam is now. And… I know… this is gonna seem crazy to you, but as a young player he ACTUALLY GOT BETTER IN THE LAST THREE YEARS.

But even back in 2020 he was a pretty good contributor for one of the top 4 teams in the league.

What’s the next specious or stupidly projected argument you have next in the chamber?

That was pretty hostile response. Perhaps I shouldn't have jumped into the middle of this oddly heated exchange.

With that said. I think you're wrong. Cam J is slightly better than Grant.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’d rather sit on Crowder then give him to a contender the Suns might meet in the playoffs

Aside from the salsa dancing, Crowder doesn't provide much these days. Add to that the red flags of sitting out all season and he wants an extension, he's just not that attractive anymore.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
With pleasure, I note that the Suns are doing exactly what I thought they would do as soon as players started getting healthy: climb back up the standings toward at least the #4 or #5 spot. (I keep my expectations reasonable and don't predict higher. The teams above would have to all suffer big losing streaks.)
Not difficult to climb with all the compression. Three wins or losses in a row can cause a 3-4 slot move in the standings.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That was pretty hostile response. Perhaps I shouldn't have jumped into the middle of this oddly heated exchange.

Cheese definitely came in hot.

That said, cam is not a better offensive player than grant. Grant can get his shot, get to the line without much assistance. Cam, though better than expected, is not at that level.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I’m just tired of the specious arguments and people projecting arguments that don’t exist.

And again, this isn’t an either or situation. What some of us are advocating is NOT Grant over Cam J. It’s if we could pull off a trade to ADD Grant to the PF rotation WITH Cam while only giving up expirings and likely two late first rounders. That would be a serious upgrade to the team which is currently hurting from lack of shot creators and Crowders absence. My frustration comes from others continuing to ignore or change what me, Proximo and others are actually advocating. That gaslighting is beyond tired on this board at this point.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even on an East team - where we would only have to face one if we luckily made it to the finals so the odds of matching up with him are tiny to say the least? That seems irrational to me.

Carolinacacti did use the word "might."

Pokinmik

Rookie
Reaction score
alot of time when a contending team makes a stellar deadline move to pick up a major contributor, it’s because the team trading away the best player is rebuilding or wants to clear cap space for the following year etc. that situation just isn’t plentiful this year, especially with with the play-in games making it so only 6-8 teams in the whole damn league are out of the playoff race. Plus we don’t have any young guys on the end of the bench w potential to offer up. Let’s not forget the twolves jacking the entire market up with their stupid gobert trade.

Best case scenario would be us trading picks, salary filler like crowder and shamet, and or plus a raw potential guy. It’s clear to see why JJ is having trouble making a move that really takes us to next level with our core. Back in the day the pistons got Rasheed for one first round pick! Imagine that era Rasheed at the 4 for us and it only costs a future first lol. The pick ended up being Josh smith but I’d still make that trade to win a title of course.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Even on an East team - where we would only have to face one if we luckily made it to the finals so the odds of matching up with him are tiny to say the least? That seems irrational to me.
Bucks are the only team I can so no to. But your right

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
This is very concerning. Book looked great in the first quarter but you can tell he’s lacking some explosiveness in getting to all of his spots on the court. A lot of his shots were short.

He played 25 minutes and it’s not like we have a back to back…hopefully it’s just rest but we need him 100%. Nothing less

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This is very concerning. Book looked great in the first quarter but you can tell he’s lacking some explosiveness in getting to all of his spots on the court. A lot of his shots were short.

He played 25 minutes and it’s not like we have a back to back…hopefully it’s just rest but we need him 100%. Nothing less
They did the same thing for Cam when he came back. Not concerned at all. I expected this.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It's just rest. They want to ease him back.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yeah it’s very odd how they bring players back