Suns updates and discussion for the 2022-23 season

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That’s not how it works.

A trade for role players gets us nowhere. Just wasting Bookers career. Some guys are happy being the 5th seed

We're still likely to be a top 3 seed.

And yes, that is how it works. If you've got a team in the mix you're better off staying in the mix and waiting for the right opportunity than making some panic trade that makes it where if you don't win NOW then you're really screwed.

For example. DeRozan, you advocate trading Bridges for DeRozan. That probably changes our window from 5 or 6 years to... about 18 months (and, IMO, it would have the actual effect of slamming the window shut immediately because we'd be profoundly worse).

What "All-in" trade ideas do you have that would make us a heavy title favorite... because, I don't see any out there at the moment.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This would be interesting to read about Sam Garvin's authority, but it's behind a paywall.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Exactly. If you feel the window is open you go for it if you feel it’s closed you blow it up, how’s this hard?
Eh I think there’s more nuance needed there. If book, bridges, cam Johnson and Ayton were old I’d agree. But they’re not. The current window may be closed, but that foursome likely has another window if the rest of the roster is played right. “Blowing it up” suggests a fire sale on everything. I don’t think that’s necessary just because this window is closed.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

And yes, that is how it works. If you've got a team in the mix you're better off staying in the mix and waiting for the right opportunity than making some panic trade that makes it where if you don't win NOW then you're really screwed.

For example. DeRozan, you advocate trading Bridges for DeRozan. That probably changes our window from 5 or 6 years to... about 18 months (and, IMO, it would have the actual effect of slamming the window shut immediately because we'd be profoundly worse).

What "All-in" trade ideas do you have that would make us a heavy title favorite... because, I don't see any out there at the moment.
I think you guys are defining “window” differently. He’s defining it was championship contender. You’re defining it as the prime of our current core of players. They aren’t likely one and the same.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm in wait and see mode.

The Hawks traded three first round picks, a first round swap and Danilo Gallinari for Dejounte Murray.

Who is to say there is not a trade out there that couldn't help Phoenix before the trade deadline.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Eh I think there’s more nuance needed there. If book, bridges, cam Johnson and Ayton were old I’d agree. But they’re not. The current window may be closed, but that foursome likely has another window if the rest of the roster is played right. “Blowing it up” suggests a fire sale on everything. I don’t think that’s necessary just because this window is closed.
Yes, this is where I am coming from.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm in wait and see mode.

The Hawks traded three first round picks, a first round swap and Danilo Gallinari for Dejounte Murray.

Who is to say there is not a trade out there that couldn't help Phoenix before the trade deadline.

And thus far it hasn't moved the needle for them. Murray and Young have not meshed.

The other big "All-in" trade this year has been a complete disaster for Minnesota.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And thus far it hasn't moved the needle for them. Murray and Young have not meshed.

I'm using the trade as an example. On paper, it should have moved the needle a lot.

No one is suggesting the Suns make a bad trade.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm using the trade as an example. On paper, it should have moved the needle a lot.

Yeah, that is kinda my point. Sometimes you're better off keeping ammo, especially if your team has enough young guys that you don't need to rush things.

It seems like, more often than not, a "swing for the fence" trade ends up a complete disaster. Atlanta may figure it out... Minnesota... I think they royally screwed up.

If a couple years ago we were told that in 2022 the Suns would have a solid core of guys 26 and younger AND they'd be a likely top 3 seed AND we still have all our future draft picks, we would have been ecstatic.

Instead it's like we have PTSD from blowing the finals.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that is kinda my point. Sometimes you're better off keeping ammo, especially if your team has enough young guys that you don't need to rush things.

It seems like, more often than not, a "swing for the fence" trade ends up a complete disaster. Atlanta may figure it out... Minnesota... I think they royally screwed up.

If a couple years ago we were told that in 2022 the Suns would have a solid core of guys 26 and younger AND they'd be a likely top 3 seed AND we still have all our future draft picks, we would have been ecstatic.

Instead it's like we have PTSD from blowing the finals.

I'm not a swing for the fence type person unless the trade makes sense. If a game changing trade becomes available, I'm all for giving it a look. However, I'm not for doing a major trade for the sake of doing it.

I like the trade the Hawks did for Murray. Personally, I'd rather have Murray than Young. Of course, if the Hawks decided to trade Young, they could get a ton of assets in return. I'm not sure what the Timberwolves were thinking.

If the right trade comes, it shouldn't devastate the franchise for years to come.

I think there are some less than earthshaking moves that could really help the Suns. It's not like the Suns don't have quality talent already on their roster. They shouldn't trade out of desperation.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

The other big "All-in" trade this year has been a complete disaster for Minnesota.
But neither of them were on the cusp. Despite what the hawks thought from the prior season, they weren’t contenders. They stepped back last year. And minny was never close to contending. The suns team has been for two seasons. They’re different situations.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ok so there is a rumor going around from various sources saying we can’t give up future first round picks with our owner situation

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Again who is saying “panic” trade. Derozan was a name thrown out

Hate to break it to you our window is closed. This is not a championship caliber team as is. Bridges does not make or break this team in anyway

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so there is a rumor going around from various sources saying we can’t give up future first round picks with our owner situation
Like I've said many times here, I believe JJ's hands are tied until change in ownership takes place (and there's a fair chance he won't survive the transition). JJ probably even has restrictions on what he can bring back in a Jae trade. If he's not allowed to make pick trades though, it's internal, it's not coming from the league or the rules.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Like I've said many times here, I believe JJ's hands are tied until change in ownership takes place (and there's a fair chance he won't survive the transition). JJ probably even has restrictions on what he can bring back in a Jae trade. If he's not allowed to make pick trades though, it's internal, it's not coming from the league or the rules.

Then he needs to come out and say so.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
There has to be something going on. I refuse to believe Jones is so obtuse that he can't see the team needs a roster change (and probably at least a couple) if they want to have hopes of making any noise the rest of this year.

The only thing that makes any sense is that Sarver is tying JJ's hands until further notice... whether it has anything to do with furthering the sale, or is just out of spite to the fans (probably a little of both).

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would he? I doubt ownership would like it. I doubt it would impress owners of other teams when JJ goes job hunting. And I doubt it would please the fan base, quite the opposite.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why would he? I doubt ownership would like it. I doubt it would impress owners of other teams when JJ goes job hunting. And I doubt it would please the fan base, quite the opposite.

How’s telling the fan base the position him and the franchise are in a bad thing? If those are NBA rules then they are NBA rules how’s that on him?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How’s telling the fan base the position him and the franchise are in a bad thing? If those are NBA rules then they are NBA rules how’s that on him?
Oh, I get what you're saying. No, I wasn't suggesting that the league had anything to do with his hands being tied. Maybe they do but I wouldn't know. I just don't think JJ has any leeway (from current ownership) to sell off future value or absorb additional expenses.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
You want your GM to support ownership and not blame them.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think we would all like James Jones to lay all his cards on the table but then he couldn't do a very good job of running the franchise with other teams knowing his limitations.

This is why I wanted to read what Sam Garvin had to say in an azcentral article that was behind a paywall.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we would all like James Jones to lay all his cards on the table but then he couldn't do a very good job of running the franchise with other teams knowing his limitations.

This is why I wanted to read what Sam Garvin had to say in an azcentral article that was behind a paywall.

Ok one last time

If those are the NBA rules then EVERYBODY in the the NBA knows the situation we are in. If they are NBA rules then it has nothing to do with him

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok one last time

If those are the NBA rules then EVERYBODY in the the NBA knows the situation we are in. If they are NBA rules then it has nothing to do with him

I doubt that they are the "rules". If JJ is limited in what he can do (and I believe he is), it's internal although I'm sure the league is monitoring what's going on and will step in if something crazy is attempted.