Suns training camp and preseason thread

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is the key to the trade. If Paul can stay healthy and helps to improve the other players like Ayton it will be a good trade. The Suns will also need his contract to help re-sign Bridges and Ayton when it expires.

As much as I like Oubre, it was harder in my mind to justify the trade of Rubio. I had visions of keeping him until his contract expired and re-signing him to a lower priced contract. Rubio is still relatively young at 30.
You and I are exactly on the same page on this one. I was even trying to find a way to get Rubio back after the trade. Not sure about a lower priced deal.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You and I are exactly on the same page on this one. I was even trying to find a way to get Rubio back after the trade. Not sure about a lower priced deal.

I was talking about re-signing Rubio after he finishes the next two seasons on his contract if he stayed with Phoenix. Of course that has all changed. I was hoping he would want to stay perhaps for a lesser amount on his next contract.

Last edited:

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I liked Rubio too. I would be fine with keeping him. CP3 was just so expensive.

the lay fan will miss Oubre, those who look a little deeper and actually watch games aside from swag and flash can see Oubre didn’t exactly help the offense.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty likes the Suns depth at point guard.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty talks about what he is looking for at guard in addition to Paul and Booker. The combination of Rubio and Booker was never the problem. It was the depth behind them.

By Kellan Olson| December 7, 2020 at 8:03 am of Arizona Sports:

“I’m really impressed with E’Twaun from afar … has an ability to play in catch-and-shoot situations and facilitate [to] make plays for other people,” Williams said Sunday, also touting the scoring talents of both Moore and Galloway.

“Jevon and Cam gave everybody an example of what we believe they’re gonna get into even more this year hopefully: putting pressure on other teams and playing fast. Aggressive on defense, fast on offense and they both can make shots.”

When it comes to a specific guard coming off the bench, Williams focused on the concept of that guard often spending time playing alongside one of Paul or Booker. Who fits that role starts to lean more in the favor of someone like Moore, given what Williams said above.

https://arizonasports.com/story/247...tions-at-guard-carter-felt-wanted-in-phoenix/

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The part in bold above seems to be the essence of what the Suns want to do with their bench and also how they won in the Orlando bubble using players like Cam Payne and Jevon Carter doing this.

They want guards that can defend and shoot coming off the bench and in rotation with Paul and Booker.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The part in bold above seems to be the essence of what the Suns want to do with their bench and also how they won in the Orlando bubble using players like Cam Payne and Jevon Carter doing this.

They want guards that can defend and shoot coming off the bench and in rotation with Paul and Booker.
It really makes sense. Keep one or the other on the court most of the time.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It really makes sense. Keep one or the other on the court most of the time.

It would be good to get an expanded rotation of guards so the Suns don't miss a beat on offense and defense. It also acts as insurance if a guard has to miss time. Additionally it helps to keep Paul and Booker fresh.

Monty has always wanted to put pressure on the other team offensively while still playing defense. An added bonus, and not by accident, these guards can distribute as well.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
If we’re healthy then 2/4 of Galloway/Moore/Carter/Payne are getting frozen out with the exception of mop up duty. I like the idea of competition for those spots.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we’re healthy then 2/4 of Galloway/Moore/Carter/Payne are getting frozen out with the exception of mop up duty. I like the idea of competition for those spots.
Team depth will get used--by choice or by necessity--one way or another.

Cue Blondie.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty says he can't comment on Jae Crowder.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris Paul praises Devin Booker.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty says people walking around like nothing is wrong... "That's scary."

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The NBA prohibits teams talking about who is at practice (or missing) so I think Ouchie could be right.
Probably covid. He signed as a FA. Hopefully he gets better and joins the team soon.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Monty says people walking around like nothing is wrong... "That's scary."

I can understand the idea of people acting like everything is 100% normal is scary, but he wears his mask at home? I won't be doing that, but it's somewhat understandable for him considering the stakes if he were to catch it and spread it to the team.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably covid. He signed as a FA. Hopefully he gets better and joins the team soon.

This is my guess. When the Suns practiced at Veterans Memorial Coliseum the same restrictions applied.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can understand the idea of people acting like everything is 100% normal is scary, but he wears his mask at home? I won't be doing that, but it's somewhat understandable for him considering the stakes if he were to catch it and spread it to the team.

Yeah. These are tough times and Monty is dedicated to the team.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

maybe he has someone at risk in his house? Or just overly cautious having lost his wife to cancer?

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
The league had dozens of positive tests so it would make sense if he was one of the positives. Anytime you hear Monty say “he can’t discuss so and so player” it’s a pretty safe assumption covid is the reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AP News via Yahoo Sports Wed, December 2, 2020:

NEW YORK (AP) -- The NBA said Wednesday that 48 players have tested positive for the coronavirus since testing resumed last week.

The league and National Basketball Players Association said 546 players were tested between Nov. 24-30 in the initial phase of testing after returning to team markets. That means about 9% of the tests were positive.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-48-players-positive-coronavirus-testing-resumes-231936729--nba.html

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA