Suns trade for Royce O'Neale and David Roddy

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I liked KBD as well, also Goodwin, but the Suns were a sieve inside defensively.
So true.

And Roddy could be something. I'm ok with all of this I think. Wonder if we were in the conversation for Bojan. Not sure we couldn't have matched or given more for BB & Burks than the Knicks did.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm puzzled as to how O'Neal is better than KBD, Metu & Goodwin combined but...... None of these folks were winning us the title.

I do feel that KBD on the right night is the biggest + of all of them however.

I think O'Neale is a more consistent KBD. He won't go off but he'll produce more and make less bone headed mistakes. Not a big upgrade but an upgrade. Had KBD played as some of thought this wouldn't be a discussion and he'd be a starter right now for the Suns. I'll give O'Neale a shot as I liked him in Utah.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I think O'Neale is a more consistent KBD. He won't go off but he'll produce more and make less bone headed mistakes. Not a big upgrade but an upgrade. Had KBD played as some of thought this wouldn't be a discussion and he'd be a starter right now for the Suns. I'll give O'Neale a shot as I liked him in Utah.
Me thinks Bol Bol saved his future here in Phx by listening and doing exactly what Vogel asked of him - so much so - we just traded some of our very limited height (Metu 6'10") for O'Neal and Roddy

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
O'Neal is making 45% of his corner 3s this season (40% for his career).
That's all fine and good - but his Defense rebounding and passing are actually more important for what this team needs.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe the Suns have two roster spots still available. It's a chance to fill any holes with buyout players.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
That is simply not true. Our non big 3 barely get to touch the ball on offense. It's not that they are afraid to shot, they simply aren't getting many opportunities.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me thinks Bol Bol saved his future here in Phx by listening and doing exactly what Vogel asked of him - so much so - we just traded some of our very limited height (Metu 6'10") for O'Neal and Roddy

I'm thinking Biz or another center are on their way via buyouts.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So true.

And Roddy could be something. I'm ok with all of this I think. Wonder if we were in the conversation for Bojan. Not sure we couldn't have matched or given more for BB & Burks than the Knicks did.
Bojan's contract was too big unless we gave up Grayson.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
having another non-minimum contract is great for trades in the future.
Actually it's not that important because we can't bundle players after this deadline due to the second apron.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Bojan's contract was too big unless we gave up Grayson.
Not my money. lol

I'm of the opinion that MI will pay until he doesn't at this point.

The Grayson contract may approach Cam Johnsons IMO and that will be a HARD SWALLOW for him to have to make.

edit - Yeah... He made too much

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean he's better than nothing, but I for one am hoping for someone better.
Heck if we signed Biz and Craig to fill out those last two spots I would be OK. Let's get to work.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
What is this obssession with Torrey Craig? He's an average player at best and no better than anyone else. Hell, he isn't even a free agent.

I get that there is some strange connection since he's been a Sun 2 separate times, but it's mind boggling that so many people are pushing for him. Biz at least IS a free agent.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
What is this obssession with Torrey Craig? He's an average player at best and no better than anyone else. Hell, he isn't even a free agent.

I get that there is some strange connection since he's been a Sun 2 separate times, but it's mind boggling that so many people are pushing for him. Biz at least IS a free agent.
But that charge he took in game two.......

#NeverForget

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's about as good as the Suns could realistically do. Neither elicits an "Oh, hell YEAH!". Our bench has been anemic, overall. So, it think it is more likely to be a positive than a negative.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is simply not true. Our non big 3 barely get to touch the ball on offense. It's not that they are afraid to shot, they simply aren't getting many opportunities.
Disagree. Okogie and KBD repeatedly killed the offense by passing up on wide open 3s. O’Neal will let them fly.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Disagree. Okogie and KBD repeatedly killed the offense by passing up on wide open 3s. O’Neal will let them fly.
KBD did not pass them up.

Okogie does because he is so bad they often leave him unguarded - and it's actually usually a good thing if he does pass them up.

Even so we are talking about 3 or 4 attempts a game - the implication in that post is there are 10 3 point shots available - which is BS.

We can't get Allen 4 in a game most nights and he is the best shooter in the league.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson