Suns trade for Beal

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Thanks. Imagine CP3 coming back! You gotta think Silver and the league are not to happy with the recent maneuvering of the Suns.

It almost feels like the Suns are taunting the basketball gods, but it's not like they've been all that favorable to us in the last 55 years.
It’s like ishbia saying “F you, Jobu. I do this myself!”

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Those first round pick swaps are going to be huge for the Suns because the Wizards are guaranteed to be terrible in '24 and '26.

Is this the all time greatest trade for the Suns ever or what? :D
Those won’t be swapped. It’s a right to swap. And you’re right, we will be better than the wiz in those seasons so no swapping will occur.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah but we will be able to do nothing with the roster for the next 3 years. i Wish Beal had a better injury history.
We will have our first round pick next year. And there are new title seeking free agents every season.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I thought I heard on the radio today that Beal was the only active player in the league with a no trade clause. That surprised me.
Didn't even dawn on me until watching a video a little bit ago just how much power that gives him. Not only can he choose which team he goes to, but can also decline the deal if he feels the team he would be going to is giving up too much. Wonder if that has something to do with Goodwin being included in the deal.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Depth-wise, Mat Ishbia is either planning on playing himself
Or activating depth players from the people who purchase courtside seat packages.
This trade does not hurt our depth. We traded CP3 for an all star caliber guard and Shamet for a rotational guard in Goodwin. We still have the ability to trade Ayton for depth and also sign "ring chasers" for cheap.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, it was much more risky not to do the trade.

Suddenly the Suns look better than last season's playoff version, which was simply not enough.
Right because you likely would have waived CP3, tried to get an exception player to back him up or be forced to trade Ayton and hope you get the farm for him.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a good trade because it represents a consistent strategy. The Suns are all-in for a title this year and have decided to sacrifice their future for it. That was already true before the Beal trade, and they were past the point of no return, so the only logical thing to do is double down.
Trading 2nd rounders statistically is not doubling down. This isn’t the NFL.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
Got to be pick swaps because they owe BRK their picks for the next 5 years and can't trade 1st rounders consecutive years, right?
We're straight set on offense now, all we need is rebounds now, lots and lots of rebounds
Mainly more defensive rebounds by the Suns mainly because with Durant, Book, and Beal that ball should be swishing through the net with high percentage regularity on the offensive end. Go Suns!!

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Trading 2nd rounders statistically is not doubling down. This isn’t the NFL.

It obviously isn't near the cost, so not a literal double down, but it's doubling on the principle behind the trade.

The Durant trade severely leveraged the club's future and to such a degree that it's pretty hard to leverage it any further.

To be clear, I love this trade, it is a no-brainer.

Yeah, our depth is going to be rough but we were already faced with a terrible situation in that regard. I don't really think getting Beal changes that outlook at all. Outside of the longshot chance of us finding solid rotation players in the 2nd round, I don't see much opportunity cost here.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Brian Windbag did aptly nail the thinking behind the Beal trade.

"We're already going to be up against the 2nd threshold... if that is the case, why not blow it out of the water?"

Funny story from college. A friend of mine had a bad skiing accident up on Snow Bowl, rescue team, ambulance, almost a week in the hospital (this isn't the funny part).

He had no health insurance and his bill was nuts, something like 25k+ and he didn't come from money.

This should be a reason for despair but he saw opportunity. He found out that your credit basically resets 7 years after your first missed payment. He was only 23 or so, 7 years? That's nothin! He went out and bought some new furniture, got some dental work done, got some stereo equipment and... put it all on credit.

I hadn't thought about that story in a while, and retelling it now as a 40 year old I'm like "******** like him are why hospitals charge so damn much", but when I was 21, I thought it was pretty damn hilarious. I lost track of him after college, not sure how his scheme played out in the long term.

I imagine Ishbia and Jones feel the same way right now... and there are a whole lotta other teams around the league seething.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Spotrac has an excellent write up on the financials of this deal, for anyone interested. It discusses where the Suns are after the deal is finalized and CP3 having most of his deal guaranteed to make the trade legal as far as matching salaries go.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spotrac has an excellent write up on the financials of this deal, for anyone interested. It discusses where the Suns are after the deal is finalized and CP3 having most of his deal guaranteed to make the trade legal as far as matching salaries go.

That's what I was missing is the deal guarantee

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Guys.. I just want to say I enjoy coming on here and hearing everyone's thoughts. Brace yourself for all the hate that is going to be coming our way. We are now the new villain.. public enemy #1..

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Guys.. I just want to say I enjoy coming on here and hearing everyone's thoughts. Brace yourself for all the hate that is going to be coming our way. We are now the new villain.. public enemy #1..
Facts.

The entire league is going to hate us and I am here for it.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No, it doesn't, but it doesn't help it either, and a lack of depth killed the Suns against Denver.
It hurt us - but how did we beat Denver twice and nearly 3 times(game 2)? By our 2 stars simply being nearly unstoppable, but if one of them had an off night we were screwed. With 3 the odds of 2 of the 3 having off nights is quite low.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jordan Goodwin who is a throw in in this deal does not look useless. He should be an upgrade to Saben Lee. For one thing he is a plus defender a 1.4 DBPM and he played 18 minutes a game for Washington.

To put that in perspective the only 2 Suns who had a better DBPM on our roster at the end of the year was Ish with a 1.5, and Biz with a 2.5. He's not terrible offensively either 5.5 assists per 36, 51% from 2 and a -0.7 OBPM.

He only shot 32% from 3 last year, but he has improved his 3 point shooting every year since his first year in college so hopefully that continues. Not saying he is great, but he does look like he can be a useful bench piece.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Facts.

The entire league is going to hate us and I am here for it.

The whole building a super team thing is being thrown around. Its funny how people in one breath talks about how we have a Big 4 with Ayton but then turn around and say Ayton is trash and has no trade value.

Maybe "Big 4" is referring to contracts..

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

What's interesting is how much hate Bradley Beal seems to be getting from Wizards, Heat, and other fans. Basically his NTC made him able to negotiate his landing spot and what that team could part with. Some rumors say he declined the deal if the Wiz received Ayton, perhaps knowing we'd need him or the assets he'd bring in to go with the big 3. Wizard fans don't even seem to be wishing him well.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson