Suns trade Cam Payne to the Spurs.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Be interesting to see what the plan is at PG now.
What is the mystery?

book is the starter, Goodwin, Beal, and Gordon will take the rest of the minutes. if someone is hurt Sabin lee plays.

this was done because there was only minutes for one of Goodwin or Payne, and they picked goodwin beacause he is basically equivalent in talent and has a lot smaller salary allowing Us to save like 20 million in tax.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is the Suns current roster:

PG: Devin Booker, Eric Gordon

SG: Bradley Beal, Jordan Goodwin, Damion Lee

SF: Josh Okogie, Keita Bates-Diop, Ish Wainright

PF: Kevin Durant, Yuta Watanabe, Toumani Camara

C: Deandre Ayton, Drew Eubanks, Chimezie Metu, Bol Bol

Two-way: Saban Lee

Labels are a formality at the moment.
I know they are a formality, but please stop calling Goodwin a 2 guard.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think that is erroneous, unless I am very mistaken. I believe we owe the "most" favorable of those picks, not the "least." Those other teams are not going to elect to swap for a lesser pick. I think he is confusing what we "owe" versus what we "own."

Someone correct me if I am misunderstanding.
No we own the least favorable, that’s why other teams are trading for them.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know they are a formality, but please stop calling Goodwin a 2 guard.

I will keep it in mind but ESPN calls Jordan Goodwin a guard and Basketball Reference calls him a point guard and shooting guard.

If I were you, I wouldn't get hung up on labels because a lot of Suns players are going to be playing multiple positions this season.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Go back and reread it. He said that was what we "owe" not "own."
We owe the most valuable is the way I would say it. However with going over the Apron, our picks are supposed to move down to 30. So the odds the other guys picks are more valuable are really high to me. The analysts I am reading say only the 2030 pick should actually be of any value assuming we haven't reloaded the team by then.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
If Pop wanted Payne it says a lot imo - especially knowing Pop's affection for PGs who can penetrate
I think this was a salary absorption play for picks. Payne was the pigeon in this trade and meant fairly little.

We get the exception, and the salary relief, they get a player and a pick.

We basically paid them to take him off our hands. Pop probably could have cared less.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Funny how all the networks are calling Payne a veteran. I always thought of him as a young player next to Paul. Payne needed to learn how to use his right hand, everything was to his left.

clyde2tw

All Star
Reaction score
I was kinda expecting that Payne was a salary match to trade for desired players. Once the McConnell deal failed, it's logical to trade him away for the TE of 6.5m which is good for all BAE or TME players signed in the league, going forward. And always thought Spurs had a need for Payne time PG and they had the cap room. Excellent move!

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the biggest problem with Cameron Payne is that when he is at 100% healthy he is a very good Player, but that just doesn't happen enough. This move saves a bundle of money, Will give some playing time to the younger back up PGs, and will give him a good opportunity to more Play more and earn his next contract.

I hope he does well in San Antonio. I will miss"The Haboob"

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
One thing I will add is when looking up Goodwin, first thing I looked at was availability. He played 62 games last season. So he missed 20.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I imagine we are getting a trade exception for Cam Payne for nothing. Orlando has a glut of young point guards. I was hoping we could have nabbed one of them.
I don't understand exceptions being away from the minutia of the game for a long time, but this doesn't makes sense otherwise. I mean they got Eric Gordon, sure, but it seemed like they let a good asset go for cheap otherwise.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We basically paid him MILLIONS of dollars for game 2 of the finals. Other than that he was a psychotic ball handler. A Monty guy for sure

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We basically paid him MILLIONS of dollars for game 2 of the finals. Other than that he was a psychotic ball handler. A Monty guy for sure

He had a reeeally good assist numbers with low turnovers. Cam's problem was his super inconsistent shot and crazy runner attempts. Other than his shooting he was really solid, especially for a backup.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Availability

Agreed, health is a major issue, I don't blame the team for letting him go, 20+ mil in luxury tax is a lot to pay for an inconsistent offensive guard with injury problems. But people saying that he only had a few good games and was otherwise trash need to get a better bearing on the level of guard play in the league. He was good, especially in the starting role.

Also, the top end of this roster requires a blind eye to availability. We are playing rather fast and loose when it comes to injury concerns. If we valued availability more then Bridges would still be a Sun.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Agreed, health is a major issue, I don't blame the team for letting him go, 20+ mil in luxury tax is a lot to pay for an inconsistent offensive guard with injury problems. But people saying that he only had a few good games and was otherwise trash need to get a better bearing on the level of guard play in the league. He was good, especially in the starting role.

Also, the top end of this roster requires a blind eye to availability. We are playing rather fast and loose when it comes to injury concerns. If we valued availability more then Bridges would still be a Sun.
It seemed when he was unavailable there was no adequate replacement. We had an issue with cp3 and Payne forcing Booker to play point. Both are gone.

I like Payne mostly but I went nuts when he would try to shoot himself out of a slump During a game.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I loved what he gave us when he was healthy and fully into game shape (physically and mentally). But since that seemed to occur less than 50% of the time, I'm very glad he's gone too.
He moved the ball and learned from CP3 how NOt to turn it over. He was not going to get the minutes any more though. He was the third guard in our previous rotation. Now he was fifth at best. His minutes would have dropped to next to nothing. He probably asked to be moved.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aside from the money factor, I would have preferred the Suns kept Cam Payne. His salary was already guaranteed for the season.

He served as a backup point guard and I believe his value would have increased towards the trade deadline.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It could have been as simple as getting a slot open for a big from a back up small. The money worked into the equation, too. We had ball handlers, but what we didn't have is an abundance of seven footers. Seems coincidental that Bol Bol's best games as a pro came against Denver.

I am thinking as a side thought, we are more wedded to DA now as a starting Center. Even as much as he may be hated, he's undoubtably our starting center from all the bigs we brought in. AS much as the Center spot has been devalued, I don't see anyone just trading those guys away either. Dallas has been having a hell of a time getting centers.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Payne just was never the same since the end of the season before last. Adding salary cap implications, the fact you couldn't rely on him consistently, we have now have more ball handlers, get some assets in return? That to me is why this make sense. It's not like the Suns could depend on him to be a consistent contributor at PG anyway.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoObstacles92