Suns to Match Johnson Offer

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way I read it he was saying that Joe Johnson can change his mind and stay with Phoenix even after he signs an offer sheet with Atlanta. He says that even if he does sign an offer sheet with Atlanta and Phoenix doesn't match he feels that JJ will not sign an actual contract with Atlanta but stay in Phoenix. I doubt that's permissible, and I don't think JJ would do it even if it were.

Joe Mama

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
The way I read it he was saying that Joe Johnson can change his mind and stay with Phoenix even after he signs an offer sheet with Atlanta. He says that even if he does sign an offer sheet with Atlanta and Phoenix doesn't match he feels that JJ will not sign an actual contract with Atlanta but stay in Phoenix. I doubt that's permissible, and I don't think JJ would do it even if it were.

Joe Mama

I read it as even though he may have verbally agreed to an offer sheet (or just ATL offering it) He can still turn around and just sign a deal with Phoenix. He is not committed to sign the offer sheet. The Suns still have more options than just matching whatever the Hawks offer.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
SirChaz said:
I read it as even though he may have verbally agreed to an offer sheet (or just ATL offering it) He can still turn around and just sign a deal with Phoenix. He is not committed to sign the offer sheet. The Suns still have more options than just matching whatever the Hawks offer.

Worked for Boozer.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
SirChaz said:
Boozer was unrestricted because Cleveland declined his option.

I don't see the relevance.

I think the point he is making is the idea of giving his word and then not keeping it.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:
I think the point he is making is the idea of giving his word and then not keeping it.

Even I said he had a verbal agreement, at least that is what was reported, but we don't know that he has told the Hawks anything. It is clear the Hawks have offered. As far as I know Johnson has not announced any decision yet.

Even Bell hasn't done anything but announce his intentions. There is not a guarantee of anything until he signs.

Errntknght

Reaction score
The whole thing with JJ and Atlanta sounds weird to me. The Hawks have less need for him than almost any other position and JJ would be an idiot to want to join such a crummy franchise and team. The only reason for them to want to sign him is that he's the most notable free agent left and they feel bad about not being able to sign the guys they really want and need. I guess they think they'll look less hapless signing an RFA and having their offer matched than they would getting turned down flat by yet another UFA.

I'm betting that JJ never signs the offer sheet... the possibility of the Suns not matching the offer will scare the crap out of him. I think he'll agree to the Suns offer just before it's time to sign the Hawks offer sheet. Then he should fire his agent for getting into such a pickle - I've little doubt this was contrived by his agent to get the Suns to up their ante.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Errntknght said:
The whole thing with JJ and Atlanta sounds weird to me. The Hawks have less need for him than almost any other position and JJ would be an idiot to want to join such a crummy franchise and team. The only reason for them to want to sign him is that he's the most notable free agent left and they feel bad about not being able to sign the guys they really want and need. I guess they think they'll look less hapless signing an RFA and having their offer matched than they would getting turned down flat by yet another UFA.

That's what I've been saying. I think this is about showing people that they are willing to spend the money on free agents even if the free agents aren't willing to go to Atlanta.

Errntknght said:
I'm betting that JJ never signs the offer sheet... the possibility of the Suns not matching the offer will scare the crap out of him. I think he'll agree to the Suns offer just before it's time to sign the Hawks offer sheet. Then he should fire his agent for getting into such a pickle - I've little doubt this was contrived by his agent to get the Suns to up their ante.

That's exactly why he will be happy with his agent. The agent just got him a monstrous deal with big-time money in the first year. He's really not in a pickle.

Joe Mama

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson