Suns sign Watson to 3 year deal

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
2nd place is the 1st loser. I take no gratification in the notion that we "almost" got Aldridge.

McD needs to prove he can lure in a big fish before he earns my respect.

Well, it appears that he expects that to be a part of the Watson package.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Bryan Gibberman's take on Earl Watson

To judge Watson by his 8-24 record as Phoenix’s interim coach isn’t fair. The team has been banged up and hasn’t been in a position to succeed. Watson’s biggest positive is the respect he’s garnered from the team. They’ve clearly played hard under his watch.

The negative is Watson, only 36, is still learning. He’s played a ton of lineups that don’t make sense and has made some strange adjustments offensively and defensively.

Maybe in time, Watson can put it all together and become a good head coach, but it would be a big risk for the Suns to take at this time.

http://arizonasports.com/story/6291...-for-the-next-head-coach-of-the-phoenix-suns/

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2nd place is the 1st loser. I take no gratification in the notion that we "almost" got Aldridge.

McD needs to prove he can lure in a big fish before he earns my respect.

agreed.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
“I think Earl will be a powerful recruiter,” McDonough said. “He certainly did a great job with LaMarcus Aldridge, getting us very much in the mix for LaMarcus. I have no doubt that will continue, especially as head coach. I think he will have a lot of clout and hopefully help us land some elite free agents. “

This seemed like an interesting quote.

I'll believe it when I see it. Close doesn't count in recruiting.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Watson started 0 for 1 in LMA. He may yet be a good recruiter (how many do we have) even if he let the first one get away. There were many reasons for Aldridge to go home to San Antonio. Honestly it looks like he did the right choice.

We're young and not going anywhere just yet. I think it's important that the coach gets on with his players and have them playing hard. I don't want another Porter situation where team chemistry suffers because the kids don't like the teacher.

Hopefully we'll get another piece in place and build around him, Booker and Len. If Watson have us playing great then keep him, if not bring in a proven coach when they've had a couple of years together. We're at least 2-3 years away from competing (past first round of the playoffs).

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Watson started 0 for 1 in LMA. He may yet be a good recruiter (how many do we have) even if he let the first one get away. There were many reasons for Aldridge to go home to San Antonio. Honestly it looks like he did the right choice.

We're young and not going anywhere just yet. I think it's important that the coach gets on with his players and have them playing hard. I don't want another Porter situation where team chemistry suffers because the kids don't like the teacher.

Hopefully we'll get another piece in place and build around him, Booker and Len. If Watson have us playing great then keep him, if not bring in a proven coach when they've had a couple of years together. We're at least 2-3 years away from competing (past first round of the playoffs).
Not to say that it would have mattered necessarily, but Watson also wasn't the head coach when we were going after LA. Had he been the head coach than maybe that would have been enough to persuade him (probably not, but possible).

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bryan Gibberman's take on Earl Watson

Of course he played those lineups. Winning was not a priority. Playing hard and competing was. But he was trying alot of different things out, sort of like preseason.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course he played those lineups. Winning was not a priority. Playing hard and competing was. But he was trying alot of different things out, sort of like preseason.

Also it was an evaluation time for players and lineups. The Suns will be making changes this off-season. I was particularly pleased what Tyson Chandler brought to the Suns once he became acclimated.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've watched and read everything I can find on Watson. We have either hired the next great coach or this guy is all talk and on a level rarely seen. I really doubt there will be any in-between with him. The skeptic in me is very antsy when I listen to his interviews but the players aren't stupid. They are around him all the time and if they truly believe in him, that speaks volumes to me.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the recesses of my mind I sometimes think about former Suns interim head coach Lindsey Hunter when I think about Earl Watson. Then I have to tell myself, this shouldn't be an encumbrance to Watson.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Major dose of meh from me too. He won't be here after that contract is up and it sounds like after the Suns tried to pick up on the hot chick, her friend....then her acquaintance....they settled for the girl that required one last beer. This is all about the reputation of the club it appears.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Major dose of meh from me too. He won't be here after that contract is up and it sounds like after the Suns tried to pick up on the hot chick, her friend....then her acquaintance....they settled for the girl that required one last beer. This is all about the reputation of the club it appears.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sometimes you've got to look in the mirror. A little self reflection may be in order before you approach the prom queen.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes you've got to look in the mirror. A little self reflection may be in order before you approach the prom queen.

:lmao: Maybe they should have only interviewed in the darkest bar in town.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I meant to post this earlier but it seems appropriate now.

Speaking at azcentral sports’ Valley sports bosses panel, Sarver called the recently concluded 23-59 season "a wreck” and acknowledged that the Suns are in “a little bit of a rebuilding process” that they will do by the draft and free agency.

“You’re either close to the top or getting assets to raise up,” Sarver said of the NBA. “What we want to stay away from is being in the middle for an extended period of time.”

Here are some other excepts from Sarver during the panel:

Sarver said worrying about other people’s money more than his own in the banking industry translated well to being the Suns’ managing partner for the past 12 years.“You’re managing an asset that is so important to them (fans),” Sarver said. “You don’t want to let them down.”

Sarver shared a story about when he pulled up to Monday’s event at Sheraton Grand Phoenix. A hotel valet said to him, “You kind of look like that guy that owns the Suns. That must really piss you off.”

Money may be one the reason(s) the Suns did not interview anyone but Earl Watson for head coach.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...r-talks-phoenix-suns-related-topics/83267504/

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The information in the above came from a Paul Coro at azcentral dated April 19, 2016.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Money may be one the reason(s) the Suns did not interview anyone but Earl Watson for head coach.

It may have been but I'm curious why you link to that story and then make that point? He was just talking about the similarity to his role as a banker, where basically you are a caretaker for the assets of others. It is an admission of sorts that he has to be fiscally responsible but that goes for just about every owner in the league.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It may have been but I'm curious why you link to that story and then make that point? He was just talking about the similarity to his role as a banker, where basically you are a caretaker for the assets of others. It is an admission of sorts that he has to be fiscally responsible but that goes for just about every owner in the league.

As long as I can remember Robert Sarver has had the reputation of saving money in the wrong places. I can remember his replacement for Amare when the money saved went to sign Hedo Turkoglu, Josh Childress and Hakim Warrick. The trading of KT (to save $12 million) along with two first round draft picks. And then there was the selling of draft picks. Also the Suns saving money on signing head coaches like Jeff Hornacek and presumably Earl Watson and I think I am only touching the tip of the iceberg. In short Sarver has always had his handle on running the Suns like a banker not wanting to relinquish control. Hopefully he can learn to give control to Ryan McDonough but I do not feel it yet after the last coaching hire happened without giving interviews to coaches other than Earl Watson.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as I can remember Robert Sarver has had the reputation of saving money in the wrong places. I can remember his replacement for Amare when the money saved went to sign Hedo Turkoglu, Josh Childress and Hakim Warrick. The trading of KT (to save $12 million) along with two first round draft picks. And then there was the selling of draft picks. Also the Suns saving money on signing head coaches like Jeff Hornacek and presumably Earl Watson and I think I am only touching the tip of the iceberg. In short Sarver has always had his handle on running the Suns like a banker not wanting to relinquish control. Hopefully he can learn to give control to Ryan McDonough but I do not feel it yet after the last coaching hire happened without giving interviews to coaches other than Earl Watson.

You missed my point. There is reason to believe that Sarver cuts the wrong corners, I was just questioning why you had it along with a link to an article. Usually, we do that to support our position and IMO there was nothing there to support it so I was curious where you were going.

BTW, I don't think the Amare thing applies in any way. We were willing to give him lots and lots of money. He wanted the extra year IIRC and we were unwilling to go that far beyond what insurance would cover. And we were absolutely right. The guys we signed to replace him are a good example of him being willing to pay for players but also calls into question his understanding of player value.

I don't think this hiring had anything to do with money. I believe we were trapped. We gave him the interim tag, he did what was asked of him and the players bought in completely. Getting players to buy into your coach is such a big part of the equation it really made no sense to look elsewhere. Until they each, to a man, voiced support for Watson, I think he was just one of the candidates.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Bahaha. Excellent analogy.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

But the prom queen is no longer what she use to be. And Brad Stephens is now the head coach of the Boston Celtics.....

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You missed my point. There is reason to believe that Sarver cuts the wrong corners, I was just questioning why you had it along with a link to an article. Usually, we do that to support our position and IMO there was nothing there to support it so I was curious where you were going.

BTW, I don't think the Amare thing applies in any way. We were willing to give him lots and lots of money. He wanted the extra year IIRC and we were unwilling to go that far beyond what insurance would cover. And we were absolutely right. The guys we signed to replace him are a good example of him being willing to pay for players but also calls into question his understanding of player value.

I don't think this hiring had anything to do with money. I believe we were trapped. We gave him the interim tag, he did what was asked of him and the players bought in completely. Getting players to buy into your coach is such a big part of the equation it really made no sense to look elsewhere. Until they each, to a man, voiced support for Watson, I think he was just one of the candidates.

I don't know if Earl Watson was a good hire or a bad hire however I would have liked for Ryan McDonough to give at least another interview or two before they hired him. The players (unless it's players like Durant or LeBron) should not have a primary say as to the next head coach should be. Also the issue of salary was brought up by McDonough... that it wasn't an issue. I hope it was not an issue but it's the process and the appearance that I question.

IMO, Robert Sarver has let Suns fans down in the past that's why his comments bothered me a bit. After this happens a number of times I question any move that wreaks of saving money for the sake of saving money. The Suns were not trapped unless they allowed themselves to be trapped. I don't want the Suns to be run like a bank where the bottom line is to save some money by cutting a corner in the process. IMO, the two most important places an owner should not save money is on the GM and the coach because it all trickles down to the team.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard