Suns @ Sac Town

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The kids got lots of minutes and the Suns earned a few more balls in the hopper.

The only thing that could make this season worse is the Suns making the playoffs.

sent from a fone

Ryan McD was on the radio just two ago and was saying that the Suns still have their eyes on making the playoffs despite the Bledsoe injury and he said that's the Suns goal since their only 3 games out of the 8th seed.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Soooooo we still thinking that losing Bledsoe was a good thing?

Yes. If we still had him and Knight playing, Booker would be seeing close to seeing no minutes at all and the Suns would be stuck in mediocrity. At least now they can hope for some luck and a top pick. If I had my choice, I would rather Knight be the one out rather than Bledsoe because I do think Bledsoe has more PG skills than Knight which would help Warren and Booker on the court.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
LOL... Seriously - like who? Bledsoe is. Ow damaged goods. And while Booker and Warren show promise, they wouldn't bring back a "difference maker" in a trade... We got nothin and therefore, there won't be any difference makers coming our way anytime soon...
Picks.

But I agree the likelyhood that any player they might acquire improving the team much is slim.

sent from a fone

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Yea no kidding. I think people sometimes forget how good Grant was in his prime, I mean look who the defender is that Grant just blew right by

http://youtu.be/H18Kc2xykPg

I don't think Warren has the athleticism anywhere close to that but in terms of just a knack for scoring the ball and especially from the midrange area, yes.
Warrens game is much more like Ced than Hill.

sent from a fone

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Add me to the anti-Knight crowd. He is a sneaky bad player. The good news is he is good enough that I think we could move him easily, and he is probably a very good "tank commander" as he chucks up stupid shots and generally makes zero effort defensively.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
At least Hornacek is finally playing Warren and Booker 30+ mpg now.

If he now starts giving Archie backup minutes everything is good. We will end the season with the third best odds to win the lottery and our young guys are developing.

In the offseason they can get a new coach because I can't see what Hornacek is coaching. So many botched plays after timeouts, horrendous defense, player rotations and an offense that seems to have no plan.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Soooooo we still thinking that losing Bledsoe was a good thing?
The score was 75-71 when Chandler was ejected, then we lost by 23. As Tom Chambers said, the Suns lost heart when he was ejected. And TC is more of an insider than any of us.

It was not because of Bledsoe's injury. He has never been the heart of the Suns.

DeMarcus Cousins had 32 points and 9 rebounds in 27 minutes. Our two Centers totaled 6 points and 2 rebounds in less than 19 minutes.

For those of who keep saying that having a Center is old fashioned, it is not when you are going against a DeMarcus Cousins.

That's why we lost. Despite 262 points being scored by both teams. The Suns are not going to build a solid playoff team with schoolyard basketball.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
At least Hornacek is finally playing Warren and Booker 30+ mpg now.

If he now starts giving Archie backup minutes everything is good. We will end the season with the third best odds to win the lottery and our young guys are developing.

In the offseason they can get a new coach because I can't see what Hornacek is coaching. So many botched plays after timeouts, horrendous defense, player rotations and an offense that seems to have no plan.

If the goal is to get more ping pong balls, then by all means play Archie. If the goal is to get young players minutes for the future, then keep him on the bench. Booker deserves his minutes. Archie is terrible.

He has done NOTHING to prove your love for him. "Young guys developing" simply does not (and should not) include Archie Goodwin.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The score was 75-71 when Chandler was ejected, then we lost by 23. As Tom Chambers said, the Suns lost heart when he was ejected. And TC is more of an insider than any of us.

It was sort of a veteran move him to get ejected because he just seemed like he was irritated and wanted out from the game and took the easy way out to the showers.

His body language on the court suggests he's completely fed up with the team. He has to be thinking this is like the Knicks all over again.

OP
OP
Z

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow, I go outside to take down the Christmas lights, come back in to find out we got the doors blown off us. Man

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was searching for some words to say after watching the game but it has all been said. It's hard to believe a coached team can play this bad.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I was searching for some words to say after watching the game but it has all been said. It's hard to believe a coached team can play this bad.
I notice you didn't say a well coached team. I can't even blame Jeff Hornacek. A rookie Head Coach with a mild personality and a personal history of being a tweener Guard (although he became a small pure shooting 2 Guard).

Perfect for the banker and his rookie GM. Not so good for Suns fans.

sunsfan88 said:
It was sort of a veteran move him to get ejected because he just seemed like he was irritated and wanted out from the game and took the easy way out to the showers.

His body language on the court suggests he's completely fed up with the team. He has to be thinking this is like the Knicks all over again.
Good point! And I was hoping Tyson Chandler could do for Sarver what he did for Mark Cuban.

The problem is that Robert Sarver does not have an understanding of the nuances of basketball that even a Mark Cuban developed. The first rule of which is -- you hire a skilled GM and Head Coach and let them do their jobs.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

When you are giving the young guys all those minutes, its going to happen. The hardest thing to adjust to is defense. But the biggest problem in this game was rebounding. When you are out-rebounded by 21, you are going to get blown out.

Tucker: 4 rebounds in 28 minutes
Chandler: 1 rebound in 12 minutes
Len: 0 rebounds in 6 minutes
Warren: 5 rebounds in 36 minutes
Teletovic: 2 rebounds in 26 minutes
Leuer: 4 rebounds in 17 minutes

Of course, when you give up 60% from the field and 40% from 3, there are not that many rebounds to be had.

On the bright side. Warren (9-10 for 19) and Booker (6-10 for 21) are getting their minutes. Fans can't complain. The tank is on. The young ones are getting their trial by fire.

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score
When you are giving the young guys all those minutes, its going to happen. The hardest thing to adjust to is defense. But the biggest problem in this game was rebounding. When you are out-rebounded by 21, you are going to get blown out.

Tucker: 4 rebounds in 28 minutes
Chandler: 1 rebound in 12 minutes
Len: 0 rebounds in 6 minutes
Warren: 5 rebounds in 36 minutes
Teletovic: 2 rebounds in 26 minutes
Leuer: 4 rebounds in 17 minutes

Of course, when you give up 60% from the field and 40% from 3, there are not that many rebounds to be had.

On the bright side. Warren (9-10 for 19) and Booker (6-10 for 21) are getting their minutes. Fans can't complain. The tank is on. The young ones are getting their trial by fire.

Warren was 9 for 19 from the field for 19 points or 1 point per shot not good. He needs to get to the line more. Someone needs to teach him how to draw contact and finish. He certainly is athletic and agressive enough. He also seems to have tunnel vision when he gets the ball and usually puts up a shot. Several times Booker was wide open on the wing for 3 and Warren still took the shot. Don't get me wrong I like him, a lot.

Booker took 10 shots for 21 points, fantastic. He knows how to draw contact and is a great three point shooter. Fans complain that he passes up shots, I love it. He is setting the tone for how we should play. If they ever watch films of the game eveyone on that team needs to watch how Booker plays, I love him. He is by far my favorite player on this team. It is not even close.

As you say it helps the tank but I really would like to see more of the team play like Booker, incluing Warren. With the correct coaching Warren and Booker could be quite fun to watch in a couple of years.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

In all honesty though, this loss isn't as bad when considering the minutes that Warren and Booker got.

Yea it's discouraging to get blown out by the Queens after playing it close with the Cavs and Thunder but inconsistency has been the theme this season.

Still at least Booker and Warren are playing and hopefully both are seeing what to do and what NOT to do in the future.

Booker played 42 minutes. That's good. I wouldn't have minded if Goodiwn took some of those minutes (like 5-8 mins) since the Suns play tomorrow but I'll still take that over him watching the Suns lose by 10 in games where Booker and Warren get less than 20 mins each.

bwgood77

Reaction score
In all honesty though, this loss isn't as bad when considering the minutes that Warren and Booker got.

Yea it's discouraging to get blown out by the Queens after playing it close with the Cavs and Thunder but inconsistency has been the theme this season.

Still at least Booker and Warren are playing and hopefully both are seeing what to do and what NOT to do in the future.

Booker played 42 minutes. That's good. I wouldn't have minded if Goodiwn took some of those minutes (like 5-8 mins) since the Suns play tomorrow but I'll still take that over him watching the Suns lose by 10 in games where Booker and Warren get less than 20 mins each.

I agree with that. Losses are ok at this point, but it also would be nice if they could keep it closer. But the main thing is those guys continuing to get major minutes.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Oh where to even start in this game

That officiating crew needs to be fired now. Seriously that was just horrific on both sides and they were doing their best effort to make that game unwatchable (not that either team need help in that regard). Both teams were in the penalty at the halfway point in each of the first 3 quarters and the majority of what was called was either very light contact or no contact at all. If our centers got in the general vicinity of anyone it was a foul. In some ways, I can't blame Chandler for getting thrown out.

Now in saying that the officiating was not the reason for this team losing. Our frontcourt was abysmally bad again. Warren is the best of the bunch and he's inconsistent (like most young players). PJ went back into his shell. Leuer looked like a guy coming back from injury. Telenovic's game relies almost entirely on his shot and if its off like it has been lately, he's useless. Chandler and Len got into foul trouble so they did nothing to help the cause either.

Our backcourt was slightly better but not much. Booker had a solid game but like Warren he's inconsistent. Price was meh. Knight is the weirdest as he has these moments that he looks like a competent PG but there are a lot of times where he is just chucking up bad shot after bad shot.

This might be the worst coached game of Hornacek's career as the 3rd and 4th qtrs were pretty much gutless. Defensive effort was just horrific with the exception of the 2nd qtr.

I can handle a team not being good due to a lack of talent. I can't handle a team that isn't good because of lack of effort.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Warren was 9 for 19 from the field for 19 points or 1 point per shot not good. He needs to get to the line more. Someone needs to teach him how to draw contact and finish. He certainly is athletic and agressive enough. He also seems to have tunnel vision when he gets the ball and usually puts up a shot. Several times Booker was wide open on the wing for 3 and Warren still took the shot. Don't get me wrong I like him, a lot.

Booker took 10 shots for 21 points, fantastic. He knows how to draw contact and is a great three point shooter. Fans complain that he passes up shots, I love it. He is setting the tone for how we should play. If they ever watch films of the game eveyone on that team needs to watch how Booker plays, I love him. He is by far my favorite player on this team. It is not even close.

As you say it helps the tank but I really would like to see more of the team play like Booker, incluing Warren. With the correct coaching Warren and Booker could be quite fun to watch in a couple of years.

thanks for the correction on Warren. just a typo on my part. 9-19 is not bad though.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited by a moderator:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Every time I see TJ Warren on the court, I can't help but think of Larry Nance (Sr.). Nance is two inches taller, but they share the same position.

When Warren is on the move, it brings back memories of Nance. And that's a good thing.

Attachments

• REMINDER.doc
    419 KB · Views: 9

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Rewatched the game when they replayed it on NBA tv and my goodness, Len just looks so bad. He shows improvement in some games and then takes like three steps back. He doesn't make an impact on either end of the court. I cringe when an opposing player takes it right at him because there's 3 things that can happen most of the time; a) Len gets scored on b) Len fouls or c) Len fouls and still gets scored on in the process

I don't know if he even sucks this much. The Suns really need to bring in some assistant coaches who can coach big men. Even players like Lopez and Gortat have looked much better outside Phoenix than they did in Phoenix except for Gortat's offensive numbers because of Nash but that's it. Suns have been terrible at developing centers for some time now.

I'm not saying Len will be some star with better coaches but regardless it is needed. We have Earl Watson to coach the guards, who do we have to coach the centers? I think Len could look more serviceable under better individual guidance from assistant coaches.

I heard that Len injured his arm or hand again or something and that may be the reason for some his drops but that's brings up another issue that Len has basically injured or broke most of the 206 bones in his body in his barely 22 years of life. He gets injured too frequently. But quite frankly, Len makes many of the same mistakes when he's "healthy" as he does whenever he's injured like now.

Last edited: