Suns open Las Vegas Summer League August 8th, 2021

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Even the announcers pointing out the suns not involving Stix in the offense. These guards are out here playing ugly hero ball.

they shouldn’t have a possession where he doesn’t touch the ball
Summer League is always like this. Really hard to say much about anyone who isn’t a ball handler.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Center Zach Hankins gave the Suns a lift while he was in the game with 6 points and 2 rebounds in 11 minutes. He seemed to stabilize the middle.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought Stix looked good despite the offense they were running. I do want to see him more active in cutting to the hoop and fighting for position. Bigs that can't create for themselves have it rough in Summer League though due to the typically atrocious guard play.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tyrique Jones did not look like the highlight videos tonight. He finished 0-5 from the field and had 1 point.

However, he had 5 rebounds, 1 assist and 2 steals.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welp.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here was the last second shot attempt by Stix.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On Lakers go ahead basket.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
So, I’m the only one on the planet that saw Reaves shove Tyshon in the back to get that wide open rebound and put back for the game winner?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns play the Jazz tomorrow (Monday) at 7 p.m. on NBA TV.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So, I’m the only one on the planet that saw Reaves shove Tyshon in the back to get that wide open rebound and put back for the game winner?
Was there a push, yes. But the reality is, had he boxed out….there’s no way that happens. Find a body. Whenever you stare at the ball then you’re more susceptible to not going a whistle. Must initiate contact with a box out.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
My take aways fromt the game:

Those were two awful teams. Only player on the court for both teams that looked like an NBA player was Jalen Smith.

The Guard play was especially bad. Lost count of how many dunk/layup attempts Smith missed out on because no one would pass into the post. Many posted already about the disgusting hero ball problem.

I'd cut T. Jones right now for being beyond awful with a poor attitude and lazy defense. I'd give all his minutes to Vitto Brown. He has an NBA body and showed more than his numbers indicate.

Jalen Smith was fine. He took a lot of rushed shots. It was a bad shooting night but his stroke is still smooth and repeatable. Targeting comes with confidence. Confidence comes from experience. Good to see him on the court getting heavy minutes and playing decent. My favorite stat was that he had 14 attempts. Keep feeding him.

Brian Randle is Monty Jr. He's a calming voice of wisdom for these young men. I hope he gets the Guard nonsense under control. But he doesn't have a lot to work with. Loved his poise in the huddle.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
I still would like the Suns to buy cheap on players like Mfiondu Kabengele. He's a big body that rebounds well and can hit three's. Would fit nicely into Dario's role as a C/F that can shoot three's. Good 3rd stringer with potential.

He only was given the ball a few times on O tonight (3 shots), but had a great night otherwise with 13 rbs, 2 asts, 2 blks, and 0 TO's.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know its just Summer League but I'm glad Stix is showing something. I'd like to see him crash the boards more defensively but ill take what we can get. He needs to do well in this environment if he hopes to contribute next year.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tyrique Jones was a liability on the court. No sugar coating that.

The Suns played much better when center Zachary Hankins played center. I remember thinking where has he been.

The guard play was bad but Stix can't always run to the corner and wait for a shot. IMO, the Suns should be asking him to play inside more. He can hit the three but I think it should be more of a shot he takes in rhythm. Stix can be more than a stretch 4/5.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns played much better when center Zachary Hankins played center. I remember thinking where has he been.

The guard play was bad but Stix can't always run to the corner and wait for a shot. IMO, the Suns should be asking him to play inside more. He can hit the three but I think it should be more of a shot he takes in rhythm. Stix can be more than a stretch 4/5.

Agreed but I suspect that's what he's been instructed to do.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed but I suspect that's what he's been instructed to do.

I'm sure Stix has been told to do that to spread the court but I'm not sure if the Suns should be having him shoot as many threes as he does. I noticed that in the regular season as well. It limits his game because he can get to the basket. Maybe they are still exploring how to play him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure Stix has been told to do that to spread the court but I'm not sure if the Suns should be having him shoot as many threes as he does. I noticed that in the regular season as well. It limits his game because he can get to the basket. Maybe they are still exploring how to play him.

I like him to catch and shoot but not catch, turn and shoot. He's not that guy, and that was a poor last play they ran. And I agree, I don't just want to see him play offense like PJ Tucker where you stick him in a corner and forget him.

But maybe they are trying to develop that part of his game before they move to other skills, or maybe it's just poor coaching? And maybe it's on Jalen but you'd think they'd have yanked him for doing that if that was the case.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Lakers signed some guards who didn't want to be drafted so they could go there.

All I can say is enjoy as the Lakers sign Malik Monk, Kendrick Nunn and have Talen Horton-Tucker on their roster.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The Lakers signed some guards who didn't want to be drafted so they could go there.

All I can say is enjoy as the Lakers sign Malik Monk, Kendrick Nunn and have Talen Horton-Tucker on their roster.

I remember Monk lighting up the Suns last year. He was a good buy low pickup for them.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember Monk lighting up the Suns last year. He was a good buy low pickup for them.

Yeah, Monk was a solid addition. Lakers get all these players wanting to play for them for the minimum.

If this were a college team I'd want the NCAA checking them out.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah it was a close game but the trio coming off the bench of Miles Bridges, Biyombo and especially Malik made a big difference. I'm pretty sure Monk was missing when we got our revenge a few weeks later in another down to the wire game. He was someone I was hoping we'd find a way to add.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Monk was a solid addition. Lakers get all these players wanting to play for them for the minimum.

If this were a college team I'd want the NCAA checking them out.
With Rich Paul involved with the Lakers, I absolutely want the NBA and maybe the NCAA checking them out. I can't believe Rich used "our" when referring to the Lakers players and the league didn't react at all.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With Rich Paul involved with the Lakers, I absolutely want the NBA and maybe the NCAA checking them out. I can't believe Rich used "our" when referring to the Lakers players and the league didn't react at all.

The Lakers would be at the top of my list to be investigated but that is unlikely to ever happen. Even players in the NBA Draft don't want to be drafted so they can go there.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Lakers would be at the top of my list to be investigated but that is unlikely to ever happen. Even players in the NBA Draft don't to be drafted to go there.
I have no problem if players want to go there as long as there are no illegal concessions or promises from the team or agents involved. And to be clear, I think most of the decisions to go there are on the up and up.

I suspect one or maybe even both of the rookies might already be regretting the decision though as the Lakers guard cupboard is no longer as empty as it was when they opted to commit to the Lakers instead of being drafted.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson