Suns @ Nuggets SL Game Thread 7/5/19

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I'd rather Zion hit the gym and get ready for the NBA season.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure, for these two games. I was talking more for the tournament. But perhaps the wedding doesn't matter.

The tournament hasn't started yet. They usually play 2-3 games before they get started with tournament play. These are tune ups for the tournament.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Suns just announced Cam and Ty Jerome will NOT play in Summer League at all. Because they haven't "had enough time to practice with the team." Thanks James Jones.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Suns just announced Cam and Ty Jerome will NOT play in Summer League at all. Because they haven't "had enough time to practice with the team." Thanks James Jones.

Like I said, the end result might be an improved team, but James Jones really appears to be in over his head as a GM.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Like I said, the end result might be an improved team, but James Jones really appears to be in over his head as a GM.

I can find a plenty of reasons to be skeptical of James Jones but how in the world is this particular situation his fault? The league made a rule that trades can't be finalized until today, which the league was stupid enough to put after the start of the summer league.

Also, I couldn't care less, Summer League is tryout time for 2nd round picks and UFAs.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I can find a plenty of reasons to be skeptical of James Jones but how in the world is this particular situation his fault? The league made a rule that trades can't be finalized until today, which the league was stupid enough to put after the start of the summer league.

Also, I couldn't care less, Summer League is tryout time for 2nd round picks and UFAs.

The picks that resulted in Cam Johnson and Ty Jerome could have been acquired earlier by parsing out the draft pick portions of the trades and the salary portions of the trades (Pick 6 for Pick 11 and cash, followed by Saric for cash; Milwaukee pick and cash and for Pick 24, followed by Baynes for cash), such that Johnson and Jerome could have benefitted from the same training and game experience from which all of the other rookies have benefitted. Just another example, among many, where James Jones just doesn't have the foresight or planning ability to run basketball operations from the top.

And again, I LIKE James Jones personally and as a part of the front office, just NOT in the role of GM or running basketball operations.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You will grasp at absolutely anything won’t you?...

Well, I took much of the same crap from this board last summer, only to be proven more right over the course of the season than others on this board...

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The picks that resulted in Cam Johnson and Ty Jerome could have been acquired earlier by parsing out the draft pick portions of the trades and the salary portions of the trades (Pick 6 for Pick 11 and cash, followed by Saric for cash; Milwaukee pick and cash and for Pick 24, followed by Baynes for cash), such that Johnson and Jerome could have benefitted from the same training and game experience from which all of the other rookies have benefitted. Just another example, among many, where James Jones just doesn't have the foresight or planning ability to run basketball operations from the top.

And again, I LIKE James Jones personally and as a part of the front office, just NOT in the role of GM or running basketball operations.
Trades could not be made official until the 6th. That means they could not be considered part of our team until that day. It was an incredibly dumb thing for the league to do with SL starting on the 5th. The decision to not play them when they have had no practice time is a fair one.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

I get that summer isn’t that important, but I think his reasoning is faulty. Plus it would be nice to see actual players play.

It’s not like these guys have been practicing for months already, we are talking a matter of DAYS.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Trades could not be made official until the 6th. That means they could not be considered part of our team until that day. It was an incredibly dumb thing for the league to do with SL starting on the 5th. The decision to not play them when they have had no practice time is a fair one.

I thought that only trades involving active players, as opposed to just picks, could not be made official until the 6th. If no trade could be made official, even if it was just picks, then this is absolutely on the NBA and not on Jones.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Well, I took much of the same crap from this board last summer, only to be proven more right over the course of the season than others on this board...
The problem wasn’t the general message you were perpetuating last off season, but the hyperbolic claims and repetitiveness of it. Everyone agreed that we badly needed a PG and weren’t going to be any good without one.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's a re-write of history. You mostly took crap for saying things like we should trade Booker and Ayton because our PGs were going to set them back 5 years. You were the strongest voice against our point guards but you were hardly the only one that thought we had a big problem there.

And while you came closest on the record poll, it loses a little shine when you consider that you also predicted we'd win fewer than 10 games in another thread. You've been all over the map on predictions, right some of the time and wrong some of the time like most of us here but you're the only one trying to take credit repeatedly for things that haven't even happened yet - for example, how many times have you patted yourself on the back for being, supposedly, the first to say that Kawhi was going to be a Laker?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The problem wasn’t the general message you were perpetuating last off season, but the hyperbolic claims and repetitiveness of it. Everyone agreed that we badly needed a PG and weren’t going to be any good without one.

And yet even without a point guard and with the disaster that was the preseason, everyone was predicting at least 25 wins, and even into the 30s...except for me.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That's a re-write of history. You mostly took crap for saying things like we should trade Booker and Ayton because our PGs were going to set them back 5 years. You were the strongest voice against our point guards but you were hardly the only one that thought we had a big problem there.

And while you came closest on the record poll, it loses a little shine when you consider that you also predicted we'd win fewer than 10 games in another thread. You've been all over the map on predictions, right some of the time and wrong some of the time like most of us here but you're the only one trying to take credit repeatedly for things that haven't even happened yet - for example, how many times have you patted yourself on the back for being, supposedly, the first to say that Kawhi was going to be a Laker?

The Kawhi decision took me completely by surprise...though reports are that the Lakers WERE about to sign Kawhi, until the Clippers threw every asset they had into acquiring Paul George to get Kawhi to change his mind at the last minute...

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27131637/sources-fear-lakers-dynasty-drove-clips-deal

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The league has rules about how many "cash consideration" trades a team can make, I don't know what the limit is but given that there is one it seems a silly waste to use them to ensure your draft picks get to attend a worthless, week long, exhibition.

And I don't even know if what your saying would work anyway, last I heard there were around 20 guys from the draft who couldn't sign until today because of all the trades so, we were hardly alone.

This is the league's screw up, not ours.

Also, the Summer League could not exist and I doubt it would change the career trajectories of anyone but the random undrafted guys who end up getting noticed. 1st round picks skip it over a runny nose.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
And yet even without a point guard and with the disaster that was the preseason, everyone was predicting at least 25 wins, and even into the 30s...except for me.
They also weren't expecting guys like Anderson and especially Ariza to be so ridiculously ineffective. They weren't expecting Warren to miss almost half the season or for Canaan to be nearly as bad as he was. Those things along with Igor ending up being in so far over his head weren't things that were completely expected to happen and as a combination made most of our win predictions completely pointless and completely off.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose