Suns Media Day and Training Camp

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Monty should be thinking about it more deeply... what happened in game 7.

The players are not independent of the coaching.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is alarming. No sugar-coating it. Where is James Jones?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm with John Gambadoro here. If Nash and Durant can talk. Why can't Monty and Deandre.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
i think we're overlooking another possibility
-- that it was just what it looked like
in the moment, desperation set in and Monty said something he shouldn't have and so did Ayton
both are embarrassed that it came to that.
it is in Monty's job description to smooth it out
but because Ayton stepped over the line with his coach, Monty may want to make sure the youngster learns a lesson
-- and that Ayton apologize or, as Ayton said, he "shows him" his commitment on the court!

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
What my boss does is call me in their office, shut the door and I see a neutral witness sitting in a chair against the wall, sits down and says....I heard you got a problem with me do you want to talk about it?

I say nah, I'm good and blank stares as my boss tells me the policy & how highly they think of me.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
DA didnt want to be back. Imagine for four years having your name dragged through the mud, excited for a fresh start only to be forced back to a situation that was unsteady at best along with the Sarver stuff. I'd be depressed too
Me too with all those millions to play a game and be forced to live in Phoenix and play for a good team. Gimme a break.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The media day atmosphere has a sense of dread dealing with topics like Crowder being traded, the early playoff exit, Sarver selling the team and Ayton having to deal with restricted free agency.

I can't remember such a state of gloom on media day.
Yeah there weren’t really any bouying topics.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
I think Monty should be thinking about it more deeply... what happened in game 7.

The players are not independent of the coaching.

Yeah Monty may not thinking much of that exchanged with Ayton in last year's playoffs with Dallas and that's because Monty said it and has moved on because that's Monty but Ayton who is a player who doesn't explode in a way other players might & may see it differently as Ayton is still a bit immature probably does see it different. Ayton is still a talented work in progress. I want to more improvement again from him and more aggressiveness. Ayton is capable of that.

As a coach you got to treat all players fairly & with respect but you also have to have a understanding of each player & have some different approaches because each player is different and they react differently. Communication & understanding is vital. That way everybody can to be focus and on the same page with the same goals. Mutual respect and everybody needs have the tough skinned & have a mindset of a champion to be one.

Hope we get a good return from the upcoming Crowder trade. There seems to be interest in Crowder.

Last edited:

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm with John Gambadoro here. If Nash and Durant can talk. Why can't Monty and Deandre.

Yup that's a professional approach by Durant & Nash if they did in fact do that. Hand clap to them as there's too much is at stake to be petty & hold grudges. Talk get over it, stay focus and move on. Follow the example Monty & Ayton 100%.

Last edited:

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think its long overdue that the Media back the F off DA and start putting the screws to Monte where it belongs.
If its true that Monte and DA haven't talked since the game, then MONTE IS THE PROBLEM.
Stop talking like some entitled fortune cookie and tell those boys what the hell is going on. I know you wont tell the fans what's going on but you're the Coach its kind of a thing that you talk to your players.

If you read the tea leaves as it stands right now with what we know. You know The optics

Monte doesn't like DA very much for whatever reason. I may be wrong (optics)
DA doesn't like the Media very much (we all know why)
DA with his "I was happy, it was over I GUESS" quote Still doesn't seem 100% sure he will be here next season.(can you blame him?)

This franchise is REALLY lucky I'm not DA or in his ear.
Because if I was treated like DA has been treated it wouldn't have turned out good for the Suns.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am sorry but it's Monty's job as the coach to mend any fences. Sure, Ayton has to do his part but he doesn't run the team, the practices. Monty not talking to Ayton still after Day 1 is beyond ridiculous. Frankly, Monty is being immature now it appears.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
I think its long overdue that the Media back the F off DA and start putting the screws to Monte where it belongs.
If its true that Monte and DA haven't talked since the game, then MONTE IS THE PROBLEM.
Stop talking like some entitled fortune cookie and tell those boys what the hell is going on. I know you wont tell the fans what's going on but you're the Coach its kind of a thing that you talk to your players.

If you read the tea leaves as it stands right now with what we know. You know The optics

Monte doesn't like DA very much for whatever reason. I may be wrong (optics)
DA doesn't like the Media very much (we all know why)
DA with his "I was happy, it was over I GUESS" quote Still doesn't seem 100% sure he will be here next season.(can you blame him?)

This franchise is REALLY lucky I'm not DA or in his ear.
Because if I was treated like DA has been treated it wouldn't have turned out good for the Suns.
Ayton has taken a lot of criticism and maybe some was earned but Monty needs to lay off & do his job which he hasn't done a great or good job coaching in the playoffs yet. Monty's two regular seasons with excellent records didn't bring the Suns any closer to a championship. Monty may be the problem instead of the solution. Many teams would have been thrilled with progress Ayton has made in 4 years improving each year here. They would have appreciated Ayton more. Monty may not like Ayton because he's not as mature as Monty probably was at the same age but Monty didn't have Ayton's talent as a player either. I still believe Ayton will mature and be a very competent player but probably not here unfortunately. People will push you as long as you let them and Ayton personality is the reason as he is so easy going.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ha. Typical, relationship standoff. Both think they are right and both are waiting for the other to make the first move. It will get taken care of soon.

There is another option. Maybe Monty's seen enough of happy Ayton, and he would like to see some ticked-off Ayton for a while. Reminds me of "knee-deep." Phil Jackson used to do stuff like this to motivate players.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
i think we're overlooking another possibility
-- that it was just what it looked like
in the moment, desperation set in and Monty said something he shouldn't have and so did Ayton
both are embarrassed that it came to that.
it is in Monty's job description to smooth it out
but because Ayton stepped over the line with his coach, Monty may want to make sure the youngster learns a lesson
-- and that Ayton apologize or, as Ayton said, he "shows him" his commitment on the court!
and, i'll add that we all have a good idea who both guys are
if the incident was during the season, Monty would likely have let Ayton simmer in the dog-house for a while
consider the summer an extended dog-house
he's surely spent a lot of time coaxing, pushing, and reconciling with Ayton over his years here
seems like this was a breakdown that Monty felt needed to be handled differently
Monty is (relatively) young himself and still has a lot to learn about coaching
despite this being his preferred way to handle Ayton now, i believe if he had it to do over again, he'd side-step this drama
(it's a bad look)
i still think they'll hug it out eventually

but shouldn't Monty have made an extra effort with Ayton on the verge of jumping ship?
[Monty's Head] no. if he doesn't get what i've been trying to get across to him by now, maybe he should move on. He's the captain of his own ship. No more babying him.
[Ayton's Head] i'll show him

Bonus:
[Crowder's Head] i've been around long enough to know what we needed to do against the Mavs, and we didn't do it. If this team doesn't appreciate my tough approach, and i'm destined to come off the bench here, then i need to be somewhere else.

it's all good. let the games begin.

Last edited:

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Continuity is the greatest thing going for the suns right now sans Crowder. Seriously, Crowder will not be missed both because of his performance and how he ended his suns tenure.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose