Suns Media Day and Training Camp

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm not worried at all about DA. He spent the last year hearing reading and seeing all kinds of stuff. I wouldn't be happy talking to them either.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marc J Spears says the Suns Media day was the saddest he ever attended.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jock Landale should be a lot of fun.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
Here is the interview with Deandre Ayton.

He doesn't seem happy. I think a trade coming when he's eligible for trade. Suns just seem to be train wreck when it comes to players & front office relationships. He doesn't seem happy at all but just trying to get through this interview. Course I could be wrong.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He doesn't seem happy. I think a trade coming when he's eligible for trade. Suns just seem to be train wreck when it comes to players & front office relationships. He doesn't seem happy at all but just trying to get through this interview. Course I could be wrong.

It didn't come over well. Ayton didn't seem like a happy camper.

Ayton's first comment (paraphrase) on the Suns matching. He was happy it was all done I guess.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian Windhorst on the Suns Media Day.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lindsey Smith of PHNX says Deandre Ayton was upbeat and his usual self off camera mingling with people. This is good to hear.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Complete fan apathy. Even on the radio. Fans simply see though the PR b.s. The team has done nothing that has clearly improved the team from last season, has an owner PR nightmare problem, lost McGee and now Crowder. I get it.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
i'd be more concerned if the interviews were more like 2021.
a lot has happened and is still happening and they've got a lot of work ahead of them.
the community has waited a long time to hear them answer these questions,
so, answer them

and while so many others are stepping up, Booker's "tough to read" comment on Sarver was, frankly, tough to read and disappointing. i want to see more leadership on and off the court from him this season

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Complete fan apathy. Even on the radio. Fans simply see though the PR b.s. The team has done nothing that has clearly improved the team from last season, has an owner PR nightmare problem, lost McGee and now Crowder. I get it.
I am not apathtic.

I really don't think either of those guys is that big a loss. We will get more than 20 minutes from Cam which will make us better, and McGee was only useful in some matchups. I have a good feeling about Landale as well.

I'm pretty excited to see how DA, Cam and Mikal have improved as well.

And I actually have a pretty good feeling Ish Wainright may just end up doing most of the Jae Crowder stuff that we need.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i wouldn't be surprised if he demanded a trade at some point this season, especially if things go even a little south.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'd be more concerned if the interviews were more like 2021.
a lot has happened and is still happening and they've got a lot of work ahead of them.
the community has waited a long time to hear them answer these questions,
so, answer them

and while so many others are stepping up, Booker's "tough to read" comment on Sarver was, frankly, tough to read and disappointing. i want to see more leadership on and off the court from him this season
you'll get no argument from me this time on Booker. it was a bit too wishy-washy considering the gravity and enormity of Sarver's behavior.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Apparently, DA was his jovial self behind the scenes with the media after the presser. Take his shtick on the podium FWIW

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree, who can't be upbeat around Lindsey but she made it clear Deandre was acting upbeat around everyone outside the press conference.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Everyone knew that at least half the questions they were going to be asked were going to be about either a) Robert Sarver or b) DA's contract/Durant trade. I'm sure none of them wanted to talk about it, but they had no choice at the time.

I'll reserve judgement until we see some footage of camp when the guys are actually playing basketball.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check out about the 16:20 mark of the PHNX YouTube video about Ayton's personality off camera.

He reportedly was the same Deandre we all know and like.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone knew that at least half the questions they were going to be asked were going to be about either a) Robert Sarver or b) DA's contract/Durant trade. I'm sure none of them wanted to talk about it, but they had no choice at the time.

I'll reserve judgement until we see some footage of camp when the guys are actually playing basketball.
I think they were in a no win situation today and chose to present a taciturn front to the media. Had they been talkative with big smiles that probably would have drawn a lot of negativity too.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the Suns had to deal with a lot of distractions today. It's hard to be upbeat in public, dealing with these issues.

The media day atmosphere has a sense of dread dealing with topics like Crowder being traded, the early playoff exit, Sarver selling the team and Ayton having to deal with restricted free agency.

I can't remember such a state of gloom on media day.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All I know is I really don't care for those jerseys. Can't Utah slap the Suns with a cease and desist for trademark infringement to stop the Suns from using them? That would be ideal.

I know that won't happen but I can dream.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course, one can always count on Cam Payne being cheerful.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All I know is I really don't care for those jerseys. Can't Utah slap the Suns with a cease and desist for trademark infringement to stop the Suns from using them? That would be ideal.

I know that won't happen but I can dream.
I don’t get it. I mean… the Valley jerseys weren’t even that old. They brought them out two years ago.

Maybe they weren’t selling? Regardless, these new ones are lame.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One person I wanted to hear from today is Duane Washington Jr.

Duane Rankin had his interview on Twitter but the acoustics were really poor and I gave up on it.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I don’t get it. I mean… the Valley jerseys weren’t even that old. They brought them out two years ago.

Maybe they weren’t selling? Regardless, these new ones are lame.
The Valley jersey’s were City Edition jerseys and were originally only suppose to be for one year. They had to petition to get them for the second year. Maybe they weren’t allowed to wear them a third year. I’m not sure the exact “rules” for the City Edition jerseys.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Valley jersey’s were City Edition jerseys and were originally only suppose to be for one year. They had to petition to get them for the second year. Maybe they weren’t allowed to wear them a third year. I’m not sure the exact “rules” for the City Edition jerseys.
Weird.