Suns may want to tear down historic Phoenix buildings

OP
OP
H

HooverDam

Reaction score
Then why didn't another investor buy the buildings for that purpose.

That's not really how the marketplace works, you understand that right? Many people may have wanted to buy it and restore it, but if the owner didn't want to sell it to them, they can't do that, can they?

Another example: There's some old warehouses on the SE corner of Roosevelt/7th St. They're actually pretty cool looking, but for years they've been covered in this awful orange siding and intentionally allowed to deteriorate. Now the owner is in the process of selling them to Circle K, who will knock them down and put in a 16 pump station.

For YEARS an investor who developed other brick buildings on 7th St (where the Core gym is) had try to buy those buildings to rehab them. The owner didn't want him to (for whatever reason) and held out for the big payday from Circle K.

I personally don't see why you are so up in arms about this.

Because I'm sick of seeing my City destroyed by idiots who don't care about. I live and die for this City, I want to see it thrive. Parking lots upon parking lots upon parking lots, isn't the recipe for any kind of successful city.

It doesn't look like what they are saving is of any importance or consequence.

Why are you the person to make this call though? What experience of knowledge do you have of historic preservation, urbanism or architecture? The people who are experts in this field, feel the buildings should be saved. Shouldn't that be enough for you?

If a doctor told you that a lump on your nut was cancer and needed to be removed, wouldn't you trust him? Or would you just say "it doesn't look like anything of consequence to me!"?

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Sarver won't threaten to move to San Diego, no arena and the taxpayers aren't going to approve one. More likely Seattle or Orange County. And honestly, if we kept the Suns brand and got rid of Sarver I'd be fine with 3-5 years of no basketball. I mean we're basically going to have that anyways for the next 7-10 years.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are different themes running through the thread that pertain to what could happen if the buildings are taken down. I don't have a clue. However, what is old is not gold. These buildings are not gold nor the Westward Ho.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are different themes running through the thread that pertain to what could happen if the buildings are taken down. I don't have a clue. However, what is old is not gold. These buildings are not gold nor the Westward Ho.

Agree completely.

Steve

Drop D

Striving for the Penultimate
Reaction score
My grandfather is older than one of those Phoenix builings and it's already a ruin? Not worth saving if it couldnt serve a purpose for such a relatively short time.

That's a terrible thing to say about your grandfather! :D

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
That's a terrible thing to say about your grandfather! :D
I'm a grandfather and your post cracked me up. "Not worth saving if it couldnt serve a purpose for such a relatively short time." :D

Nevertheless, I'm hanging in there, arthritis and all.

Attachments

• Donovan&Me8:11.jpg
    Donovan&Me8:11.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
Easy on the personal attacks, Hoover.

You are clearly in the minority that believes that those subjectively crappy buildings are worth preserving.

That said, I think you should chain yourself to the building to protect its storied past of dead bodies being pulled from it during its era as a crack house.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so much for the parking lots theory... the Suns are discussing building a new arena there..

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2012/10/08/phoenix-suns-demolition-plans-cause-a.html

IMO, these old buildings are an eyesore. I don't think these buildings are the type of older buildings that should be preserved. Placing a new arena there would be a plus for the future of the Suns. Now preserving a landmark like Taliesin West built by Frank Loyd Wright is a worthy project. There is some history there.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, these old buildings are an eyesore. I don't think these building are the type older buildings that should be preserved. Placing a new arena there would be a plus for the future of the Suns. Now preserving a landmark like Taliesin West built by Frank Loyd Wright is a worthy project.

Agree.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, these old buildings are an eyesore. I don't think these buildings are the type of older buildings that should be preserved. Placing a new arena there would be a plus for the future of the Suns. Now preserving a landmark like Taliesin West built by Frank Loyd Wright is a worthy project. There is some history there.

Disagree - drive around older parts of Downtown Tucson - similar buildings rehabbed to great effect.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
These buildings are dumps, eyesores and probably filled with asbestos.

Good riddance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard