Suns @ Lakers Sunday game thread 5-9-2021

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO we have zero chance against a healthy Lakers team, it would be a sweep and likely every game would be a blowout. The Clippers are better than us but we have a chance against them, the difference isn't that great. I'd give the Nuggets an edge if they held home court advantage over us, otherwise I think it's a tossup. Same with Utah.

I’m with you. This is a match up nightmare. Blame it on “we don’t care”, but the Lakers are without LeBron, Schroeder and Kuzma and are destroying us... with their bigs. That’s only going to get worse when the monster otherwise known as LeBron plays with them.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hindsight is always 20/20... Who? How? When would we have picked up another big who would be an actual value-add?? And who would therefore be seeing less mins in order to squeeze another big?

It’s always easy to play this game at this point in the season. But before tonight, I don’t recall seeing anyone claiming we “need another big.”

That's not really the case, it's been brought up several hundred times. But you're right, we didn't know that Saric would not be the player we saw in the bubble. And there wasn't a big man available and interested in us that would have given us more than that version of Dario.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hindsight is always 20/20... Who? How? When would we have picked up another big who would be an actual value-add?? And who would therefore be seeing less mins in order to squeeze another big?

It’s always easy to play this game at this point in the season. But before tonight, I don’t recall seeing anyone claiming we “need another big.”

I've been saying it all season.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We've had zero energy since the opening tip.

They thought without kuzma, Schroeder, and the lbj they could just show up and win.

The lakers are a bad matchup no doubt but when you quit before the game started, you have no chance

Not buying.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lt’s not hindsight. I was screaming for him to make a move before the deadline.

the problem is blindingly obvious. We have ONE defensive big on the roster.

EVERYONE was hoping for another big man. @82CardsGrad is smoking sherm if he thought he was the only one.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

then you live in fantasyland. We’ve been talking about it all year, evene more so after Dario turned Sorrio.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m with you. This is a match up nightmare. Blame it on “we don’t care”, but the Lakers are without LeBron, Schroeder and Kuzma and are destroying us... with their bigs. That’s only going to get worse when the monster otherwise known as LeBron plays with them.

Yeah the Lakers sucked the life out of us. We have no answer for their bigs and everyone on the court knows it, including the referees.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
soon, cheese, soon. i just have a few more things i should learn from you before i go

being that it's not a playoff game,
how hard should our boys play tonight seeking just the top seed?
80%? 85?
god knows they've got to save some for the playoffs

or do you believe they can give 100% tonight and then give 110% for the playoffs?
i wasn't good at math or biology in school so i assumed 100% was the maximum effort a human body can sustain for 20 or 30 minutes

btw, your math isn't too good either, because my "metric" was that the Suns have been playing playoff-like games. i can't speak for any other team, especially the Clippers and Paul George who didn't even play a playoff-like game in last year's playoffs

as for the knicks, they lost their mojo when we took it the-hell away from them in our last playoff-like game!

playoff intensity, huh?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Halftime:

Lakers 59 - Suns 47

Bridges with the nice finish before the half.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
javele McGee, Dieng, supposedly Rashard Holmes was available for the right price.

I would take an experienced European big over what we have.
I think you’re focused in the wrong direction...
Our issues are not that we don’t have another big. Our issues are:

- This team is still extremely young and unproven.
- Booker is simply not a “great” player. He’s very good... but not great. He is way too inconsistent. Still can’t be reliably counted on to make the big shot. Still turns the ball over way too much and and makes way too many careless and stupid plays.
- Ayton still isn’t anywhere close to being consistently good, let alone great.
- Cam Johnson faded as the season progressed.
- Crowder... see Cam Johnson

Been saying this for the past 4 weeks. I really like this team. And the regular season has been fun. But this team will be extremely lucky/fortunate to make it out of the first round of the playoffs. And I’d say this even if they had some slug as “another big.”

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
theyre shooting contested shots because they can’t get anything CLOSE to the basket. Why? Because they Lakers are huge down there.

So when we play the lakers we should just not get out of the locker room? Should they just quiver in fear?

Seriously this type of crap is just sad like the suns effort so far

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you’re focused in the wrong direction...
Our issues are not that we don’t have another big. Our issues are:

- This team is still extremely young and unproven.
- Booker is simply not a “great” player. He’s very good... but not great. He is way too inconsistent. Still can’t be reliably counted on to make the big shot. Still turns the ball over way too much and and makes way too many careless and stupid plays.
- Ayton still isn’t anywhere close to being consistently good, let alone great.
- Cam Johnson faded as the season progressed.
- Crowder... see Cam Johnson

Been saying this for the past 4 weeks. I really like this team. And the regular season has been fun. But this team will be extremely lucky/fortunate to make it out of the first round of the playoffs. And I’d say this even if they had some slug as “another big.”

I mostly agree with this. I've been saying it for a few months now, we've faced an incredible number of teams that were playing shorthanded against us. Our record makes us look special but we're really right there with a bunch of pretty good teams.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns look shook.

Add to that a ton of horrible calls.
No continuation for Book on the Davis foul.
The Davis goal tend.
They were clearly out of bounds.
The Payne foul on Trez as well as a weak T on Payne.
Etc

not making excuses but hard to play 5 on 8.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Not buying.

Not buying what? If you think this team is trying their hardest, you're watching a different game then everyone else.

We're having a crap effort versus a team that's a not a good matchup for us. If they played like they cared they have a chance

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Lol WHAT?!? A bunch of us have been saying that ALL SEASON.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As bad as it looks though, we've turned it around in the second half against better opponents than the team we're facing tonight. And Davis is always just a play away from needing a doctor.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So when we play the lakers we should just not get out of the locker room? Should they just quiver in fear?

Seriously this type of crap is just sad like the suns effort so far

I’m just stating facts about what’s going on. What’s sad about being realistic? Of course they’ll to come out and believe in themselves. They’ll have to play who they need to play, but that doesn’t mean I have delude myself that they are going to accomplish the impossible.

and there’s no reason to make me thinking we can’t win into some personal attack. I ain’t happy about what’s going on. In fact, I’m pissed this great season might end with a curb stomping to the team I hate most in any sport.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As bad as it looks though, we've turned it around in the second half against better opponents than the team we're facing tonight. And Davis is always just a play away from needing a doctor.

this is all true as well.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns look shook.

The Davis goal tend.
Etc

we ain’t getting stomped in any way shape or form because of the refs.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We really need steph to take the Lakers out in the playin

that may be the suns only chance of getting out of the first round.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not buying what? If you think this team is trying their hardest, you're watching a different game then everyone else.

We're having a crap effort versus a team that's a not a good matchup for us. If they played like they cared they have a chance

you see no effort. I see a team that’s intimidated by size. That’s why they’re settling for jumpers and effort has nothing to do with the Lakers just flat out being taller and being able to grab rebounds while four of our guys arms can’t get as high as theirs.

note, I’m not saying your take is crap or telling you you’re not watching or saying anything personal to you. I disagree with your take and saying why. Not sure why you can’t do the same.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns look shook.

The Davis goal tend.
Etc

It didn't help one bit the Suns came out as flat as a pancake and couldn't hit a shot early.

Suns can't count on turning it on later in the game against a good team.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
we ain’t getting stomped in any way shape or form because of the refs.

We aren't getting the calls but that's always the case (for any team) when the opponent is so clearly the aggressor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn