Suns hire Frank Vogel as next head coach

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
This does not sound like a team that’s ready to make significant changes to the roster
IDK, Vogel talking about PHX being a destination for coaches and players, and he said something like let's see what happens.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Sounds like Suns may be keeping DA, at least until trade deadline. I did notice how Vogel said he had long conversations with KD and and Book already since being hired as head coach, and that he looks forward to connecting with DA. Is there no cell or internet service in the Bahamas? :shrug:

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sounds like Suns may be keeping DA, at least until trade deadline. I did notice how Vogel said he had long conversations with KD and and Book already since being hired as head coach, and that he looks forward to connecting with DA. Is there no cell or internet service in the Bahamas? :shrug:

DA is in the clouds (no not dead) and can't be reached right now.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
This does not sound like a team that’s ready to make significant changes to the roster
Hard to tell at this point. He can't really say "I have no confidence in the guys on the roster" because he doesn't have a clear idea just yet who will likely be coming back and who won't. You don't want to undermine the guys you might have to bring back, even if you don't necessarily want them back.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Hard to tell at this point. He can't really say "I have no confidence in the guys on the roster" because he doesn't have a clear idea just yet who will likely be coming back and who won't. You don't want to undermine the guys you might have to bring back, even if you don't necessarily want them back.
Also, the negotiating power of your GM too.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not that I blame him for thinking he can but delusional. That means the only way to revamp this bench is to move Paul. If they can't move Paul we are screwed.

I don’t think the few extra million we’d get in MLE by getting rid of Paul’s contract is enough to revamp the bench.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think the few extra million we’d get in MLE by getting rid of Paul’s contract is enough to revamp the bench.
I am thinking of a trade scenario verses cutting him. It could be enough to get two contributers but yeah...if you really want to revamp the entire bench? You have to move Ayton. If our new coach is against it? We are likely screwed.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's always spin at these things. The Suns used Caron Butler for a jersey reveal years back before buying him out or trading him. Saying anything like they're shopping DA or CP3 reeks of desperation and there's no walking it back. I don't think we learned much anything except Vogel looks like the dude from Impractical Jokers.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am thinking of a trade scenario verses cutting him. It could be enough to get two contributers but yeah...if you really want to revamp the entire bench? You have to move Ayton. If our new coach is against it? We are likely screwed.

I also don’t see an Ayton trade being a net positive… certainly not in terms of the best version of a team. I don’t think trading him for a couple role players moves the needle. Maybe there is a larger trade out there that would surprise me… I just don’t see it.

IMO, no matter what we do, the front office is going to need to find a few gems with what little resources we have. That’s going to be the reality for a long while.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There's always spin at these things. The Suns used Caron Butler for a jersey reveal years back before buying him out or trading him. Saying anything like they're shopping DA or CP3 reeks of desperation and there's no walking it back. I don't think we learned much anything except Vogel looks like the dude from Impractical Jokers.

Joe Gato (spelling) LOL, he left the show or something, marital issues. idr

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
DA needs to leave just to make this board sane again.

That won't cure anything, it would probably make it worse unless Ayton goes full Bynum on his new team.

This board won't be sane unless we win a title or like... the better part of a decade goes by and some new rebuilt Suns are on the rise.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That won't cure anything, it would probably make it worse unless Ayton goes full Bynum on his new team.

This board won't be sane unless we win a title or like... the better part of a decade goes by and some new rebuilt Suns are on the rise.

I disagree

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the Suns can find the Deandre Ayton that played in the Finals season, I want to keep him. However, it remains to be seen.

Ayton pretty damn good in the playoffs that year, pretty damn good all of last and pretty damn good in the playoffs including the Dallas series last year. You don’t go to the finals, you don’t win 64 games, you don’t beat NO without Ayton and you would think he’s this worthless bum we’re gonna easily replace

game 7 the entire TEAM doesn’t show up and Monty made Ayton the fall guy and they just let it fester. You can’t do that.

But we’re gonna see. I legitimately want to see Ayton gone at this point. This year is Devin Bookers year. Is he Kobe or DeMarr Derozan.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree with James Jones when he said the Suns had "enough" on their bench the past two seasons.

The Suns didn't even have a fifth starter this past season.

See the comment at the 29:00 mark of the press conference video today.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton pretty damn good in the playoffs that year, pretty damn good all of last and pretty damn good in the playoffs including the Dallas series last year. You don’t go to the finals, you don’t win 64 games, you don’t beat NO without Ayton and you would think he’s this worthless bum we’re gonna easily replace

game 7 the entire TEAM doesn’t show up and Monty made Ayton the fall guy and they just let it fester. You can’t do that.

But we’re gonna see. I legitimately want to see Ayton gone at this point. This year is Devin Bookers year. Is he Kobe or DeMarr Derozan.

I do have questions that still bother me about Ayton. I hope they are meaningless.

Did he quit in game 7 of the playoffs against Dallas?

Although Ayton was reportedly injured, I would have liked to have seen him try to play in game 6 of the playoffs against the Nuggets.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Agree, he played really well in 20/21, he played great in the regular season in 22 but he did struggle in the playoffs and it is insane that Monty basically didn't care about the fractured relationship. Him not connecting with Ayton all off season is just absurd. He was the head coach, his job is to build a team and it's clear that his biggest weakness was managing personalities.

Hopefully Vogel can get through to Ayton, because you are right, he is going to be hard to replace. If we trade him for a couple role players and a late pick then we're likely taking a big step backwards.

As for the Booker line, I know he isn't like Derozan, his playoff numbers obliterate DeMarr, and I'd hope he isn't Kobe either. Ball hogging and playing slow and putting up low percentages isn't going to win any titles in the 2020s. Kobe had plenty of horror show elimination games.