Suns have 6th pick and 32nd pick in 2019 draft.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Today I tried to make sense of the off season and why we don't want Russell and them matching is the only thing that made any sense

I am rapidly preparing myself for a wretched off season where I don't get anything I want for the team

Well, we will likely draft White or Clarke, so that's one more thing you want for the team than what I want for the team...

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Well, we will likely draft White or Clarke, so that's one more thing you want for the team than what I want for the team...
I'm more an advocate for White than Clarke, but not really by much. They both at least bring a ton of energy.

One thing they don't bring are measurables (sorry for the following, I was bored).

White's hand are insanely small at 7.75 (the 2nd smallest of the prospects) and a horrific +0% wingspan (also the smallest % unofficially [% based on wingspan divided by Ht with shoes]).
Clarke's hands aren't much bigger at 8.25 and he's 6-8. His wingspan is also +0%.

I don't put a ton into measurements but when you look at guys with large measurements like Russell Westbrook, John Wall, Rajon Rondo or Donovan Mitchell, you should probably pay attention.

Two very raw but insanely athletic players I would look at in the 2nd round:

Jalen Leque: Largest hand size, wing span % for PG and had the highest Max vertical OVL at 43 inches (those that recorded... obviously not Zion).
Darius Bazley: Good size hands (9.00) and wingspan (7-0) and was 1st in Shuttlerun for PF&C (#6 OVL)

A guy that could possibly slip to #32:

Bruno Fernando: He's been late 20's in a lot of mocks. Great candidate for backup C with strength, energy, some D, and decent FT% (He reminds of a poor man's Zo).

I'm wondering if the Suns would be willing to trade the #6 to Boston for #14, #20, and +. Normally you don't want to trade that far back but #6-20 is almost the same. Also, I'm not sure Boston is excited about adding 3 1st round rookies to their team.

I'd get excited if we drafted Kabengele and Bruno. More excited than if we just got White.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
The finals and the AD trade were a disaster for us on multiple levels

Suddenly the Utah's and Denvers of the world see their window

LA is going to get another guy

The Paper Clips will get at least 1. Maybe 2

I am worried that Oubre is going to get a Tyler Johnson offer that we have to match because free agency lost 2 of the top guys to injury and probably 5 teams can win the west next year
Thankfully LA is going to get a bunch of scrubs they are going into free agency with only 24 mil in cap space and no way to clear any money

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm more an advocate for White than Clarke, but not really by much. They both at least bring a ton of energy.

One thing they don't bring are measurables (sorry for the following, I was bored).

White's hand are insanely small at 7.75 (the 2nd smallest of the prospects) and a horrific +0% wingspan (also the smallest % unofficially [% based on wingspan divided by Ht with shoes]).
Clarke's hands aren't much bigger at 8.25 and he's 6-8. His wingspan is also +0%.

I don't put a ton into measurements but when you look at guys with large measurements like Russell Westbrook, John Wall, Rajon Rondo or Donovan Mitchell, you should probably pay attention.

The reason I want White more than Clarke is almost solely based on draft position. I like Clarke as a prospect quite a bit but there is no denying that picking him at #6 is a reach. If he pans out like I think he will then it won't matter in 2-3 years but his salary would be more than it needed to be. The #6 pick will be paid about $4.8 million compared to #10 at $3.5. That impacts our cap space this summer where every dollar matters. I really hope we can strike a deal with Atlanta to trade down for Clarke, they have #8, #10, and #17. If they would part with #10 and #17 for #6 I would do that and see if a team would be willing to offer a future pick for #17 or possibly go with a draft & stash player there.

As far as measurables are concerned I think it's worth noting that White is 6'5", which is big for a PG, and also makes his wingspan less of an issue. He's not a 6'1" or 6'2" PG with a wingspan that matches his height. If a PG that was 6'1" or 6'2" had a 6'5" wingspan that would be considered good, so I think Whites measurables aren't as bad as they may sound when you're talking without mentioning specific numbers like you did.

Clarke's measurables aren't good but if they were he wouldn't risk falling out of the lottery and would probably be a top 5 pick. I don't think he'll produce like a top 5 pick but he should produce at a high level right away. I think he'd be ready to be plugged in as a starter from day 1 and put up better numbers than Chriss did as a rookie PF for us a couple years back. That won't be that hard though since he averaged just 9.2 ppg with 4.2 rpg and 0.9 blocks on 45% shooting. That would be Clarke's floor, IMO.

If we stay at 6 we should take White but if we can trade down somewhere in the 10-14 range then we should take Clarke.

Here is a link with this year's rookie scale contracts also...
http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-salaries/nba-rookie-salary-scale-by-draft-year/

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I have been on the White bandwagon longer than most. However, that all depends on free agency. If we pick up a good free agent point guard, then say a Hunter drops to 6, we definitely have a need for bigs. Between free agency and the draft we could easily add 3 to 4 bigs to our roster. With a good free agent PG, Melton and Tyler Johnson as back ups, arguably the need for White is less. If we are going to be jerked around on the free agent market for point guards again, then we better take White. One thing I did notice in White's highlight reels, is he was able to get the ball into bigs on the low post.

This speculation by us is all dependent on what Monty wants to do with the club. If he is looking to run a traditional NBA offense. Monty may not want a rookie PG. We are all just guessing what our new coach wants to do.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Thankfully LA is going to get a bunch of scrubs they are going into free agency with only 24 mil in cap space and no way to clear any money

But they're going to have players lining up to play for them on one-year minimum prove-it or ring-chasing deals.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
But they're going to have players lining up to play for them on one-year minimum prove-it or ring-chasing deals.
They'll have one or two but they also have to fill out a roster , they only have 5 players currently with 24 mil to spend that's not good , i know they're the Lakers and the media thinks every player in the world would be lucky to play there but their cap situation is honestly worse then ours when you look at how many they need to sign , and yet some sun's fans think it's impossible for us to sign one player and randle but yet the Lakers c an still get a Max player plus a full roster? I don't think so

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
They'll have one or two but they also have to fill out a roster , they only have 5 players currently with 24 mil to spend that's not good , i know they're the Lakers and the media thinks every player in the world would be lucky to play there but their cap situation is honestly worse then ours when you look at how many they need to sign , and yet some sun's fans think it's impossible for us to sign one player and randle but yet the Lakers c an still get a Max player plus a full roster? I don't think so
They aren't even the most desirable LA team to play for. I was watching an ESPN basketball show, and they had two current NBA players and they asked them which LA team they would want to play for now, even with Lebron on the Lakers, and both guys said Clippers without a doubt.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as measurables are concerned I think it's worth noting that White is 6'5", which is big for a PG, and also makes his wingspan less of an issue. He's not a 6'1" or 6'2" PG with a wingspan that matches his height. If a PG that was 6'1" or 6'2" had a 6'5" wingspan that would be considered good, so I think Whites measurables aren't as bad as they may sound when you're talking without mentioning specific numbers like you did.

It's my understanding that wingspan in relation to height is far more important than just wingspan.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Melton (slightly better defensively and same offensively, in my opinion) and Okobo (worse defensively, but tons better offensively, in my opinion) give you as much, if not more, and they actually have a chance of getting better, whereas Joseph does not.

I would hope that the Suns would not waste their money and a roster spot on someone the likes of which they already have tied up on rookie deals.

I'd be okay with Joseph as a backup point guard if the Suns added him. It's not that I think he is the best option. Hopefully Melton and Okobo continue to develop but I do not want to depend on them to be the entire answer at backup point guard.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Why? 6'5 wingspan is 6'5 wingspan, regardless of how tall someone is.

Note: Not arguing, just curious.

My bigger concerns with White are sloppy passing, poor decision making, poor shot selection and tendency to choose flashiness over fundamental soundness. He might eventually turn out alright, but the process of developing him will be particularly painful. I still think his ceiling is Leandro Barbosa, but his floor, in my opinion, is a combo guard version of Marquese Chriss.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'd be okay with Joseph as a backup point guard if the Suns added him. It's not that I think he is the best option. Hopefully Melton and Okobo continue to develop but I do not want to depend on them to be the entire answer at backup point guard.

I'd rather get a legitimate NBA starting point guard, which is what this team desperately needs. If the Suns give substantive minutes to Joseph at point guard on top of giving substantive minutes to Tyler Johnson out of position at point guard, I guarantee you this team will be worse next year.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd rather get a legitimate NBA starting point guard, which is what this team desperately needs. If the Suns give substantive minutes to Joseph at point guard on top of giving substantive minutes to Tyler Johnson out of position at point guard, I guarantee you this team will be worse next year.

It can't get much worse. No, I agree the Suns need to fix the point guard position.

I believe adding Joseph was an idea by someone in the media.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why? 6'5 wingspan is 6'5 wingspan, regardless of how tall someone is.

Note: Not arguing, just curious.

Trust me, if I'd really understood why that was I wouldn't have wimped out with the "it's my understanding".:cool:

I've tried to think of why this is so every time I read about how important it is. I'd imagine some of it has to do with matchup advantage, you usually end up against someone of similar height so the extra wingspan would help getting your shot off and defending too. But I don't know if that's all there is to it, I just know I've read it many times.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The downside is that means they are likely competing with us for the same lower level free agents.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Trust me, if I'd really understood why that was I wouldn't have wimped out with the "it's my understanding".:cool:

I've tried to think of why this is so every time I read about how important it is. I'd imagine some of it has to do with matchup advantage, you usually end up against someone of similar height so the extra wingspan would help getting your shot off and defending too. But I don't know if that's all there is to it, I just know I've read it many times.
I think it’s arm length. With wingspan you count the shoulder to shoulder. If it’s a bigger person then that’s likely a bigger proportion of the wingspan on a +0 player than on a +4 player. So the arm length isn’t as great meaning less steal and/or block opps? Just a thought.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
The downside is that means they are likely competing with us for the same lower level free agents.
That's true and I can definitely see Beverly or dedman or any player like that choosing them over the sun's, the Lakers need a whole team in general but of course more specifically they need the same players as we do

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it’s arm length. With wingspan you count the shoulder to shoulder. If it’s a bigger person then that’s likely a bigger proportion of the wingspan on a +0 player than on a +4 player. So the arm length isn’t as great meaning less steal and/or block opps? Just a thought.

Yeah. Arm length allows a player to play at a level beyond their height.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This tweet makes me hope Hunter falls to the Suns. They like Garland at #4 as best player.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is interesting, the Knicks are interested in Garland. Someone could fall if they draft him.

Jonathan Givony‏Verified account @DraftExpress

Darius Garland will conduct a last-minute workout in Tarrytown with the New York Knicks tomorrow, a source told ESPN. Garland is in serious consideration for the No. 3 pick. Minnesota, Boston, Chicago are teams looking at potentially trading up to No. 4 with Garland in mind.

9:19 AM - 18 Jun 2019