Suns @ Grizzlies Monday game thread 1-16-2023

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
You make it sound like he's making the effort to not be a good player. Except that he is a good player, it's the organization's fault for thinking he was more than just a good player and deserving of the #1 pick. Some players have the desire, some don't. And most of the time, it's not some diabolical ploy by the player to screw over his employers.
You make it sound like he's making the effort to not be a good player. Except that he is a good player, it's the organization's fault for thinking he was more than just a good player and deserving of the #1 pick. Some players have the desire, some don't. And most of the time, it's not some diabolical ploy by the player to screw over his
You make it sound like he's making the effort to not be a good player. Except that he is a good player, it's the organization's fault for thinking he was more than just a good player and deserving of the #1 pick. Some players have the desire, some don't. And most of the time, it's not some diabolical ploy by the player to screw over his employers.
I didn't say that Ayton was not making an effort by any means to be good player dude. Ayton doesn't live up to a Max player with his inconsistencies on the court game after game. He will play a hell of a game then follow up shameful games. Never know what he will give you. Some players can't be as consistent as others. Ayton is adequate center but not of All Star status. Ayton may think he is. Maybe Monty isn't the right coach for Ayton to motivate the heck out of him. I will say the Suns never lined up a decent power forward next to Ayton. Ayton is our most consistent rebounder no one comes close. They better replace that skill set with someone who do that if they decide trade him. I prefer a guy like Nick Claxton of the Nets who bring it every game or nearly every game. And Claxton doesn't have the natural skills as some. But brings all what he has to the table.
Suns don't seem to develop young players like some teams or evaluate the talent of draft.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The history of the Suns has to change. We know the Suns have had some bad luck but they brought a lot on themselves. Maybe with New owners and hopefully new direction we can have some changes.
Ayton could have helped in that change but he elected to go for his own selfish route and get the big money contract without making the sacrifices to win. He doesn’t have Luka's or Ja Morant's type of desire or consistency. I really don't care if he gets traded now if we get a decent return. Big If though.

I'm hoping that the lack of movement to improve the Suns falls more on the transfer of ownership than James Jones. Hopefully, once the new ownership is approved, he will move quickly to improve the team. The trade deadline is looming.

The Suns also need to get their players healthy.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's true, but if Luka wasn't in that draft, I still think DA would have been a likely #1 pick. Luca really upsets the evaluation because he's just that good.
Agreed.

I don’t think I’ve ever been as wrong about anything with sports as I was in the Ayton v. Luka debate. I was the biggest Luka detractor or the whole board, mocking people who even dared debate taking him over Ayton. Pretty ridiculous to look back at those threads now and where I am now on both guys.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That's true, but if Luka wasn't in that draft, I still think DA would have been a likely #1 pick. Luca really upsets the evaluation because he's just that good.
If the Suns did'nt have the number one pick they probably would have taken Bagley:billthecat:

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns did'nt have the number one pick they probably would have taken Bagley:billthecat:

During pre-draft workouts, Ryan McDonough really liked the outside shooting of Jaren Jackson Jr.

If he had decided not to draft Ayton, it might have been him.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Not really especially with cards shiatt going on but 420 getting me through fan stress and gnews least keim kliffy history maybe good ol monty next on cut list
Not a real big Cards/football fan, I'm trying tho, hit 2 games this year. Next year couldn't possibly be worse. So there's that.
I think they should have kept Kingsbury, I mean Cmon that's a real mans name.
If my last name was Kingsbury I would rule the world.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
Awww Cmon we developed Stix into Torri Craig.
We developed Deondre Ayton into the scared, soft, dumpster fire he is now.
We developed Josh Jackson out of the NBA.
We even broke a Point God.

Business as usual.
Yeah you are right I guess the Suns have a whole different direction of developing their talent for sure.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

@Mainstreet is right, we would have ended up with JJJ. I remember the whole workout facade that went on and even though it was pretty clear the Suns would take Ayton, the way McD acted towards JJJ seemed to raise a little doubt. JJJ was never really viewed as a legit #1 pick though, more of a trade down option. Bagley was hyped enough he would have been a reach at #1 but not completely out of the question.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
They started out pretty good though, but the wheels came off after halftime. Bridges disappeared and Ayton just went through the motions. They are the starters. They should up their game.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah you are right I guess the Suns have a whole different direction of developing their talent for sure.

Exactly.

The Suns like plug and play players. They don't have much patience in developing and playing young players. This needs to change.

Duane Washington Jr. and/or Saban Lee might be solid role players given time.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Exactly.

The Suns like plug and play players. They don't have much patience in developing and playing young players. This needs to change.

Duane Washington Jr. and/or Saban Lee might be solid role players given time.
Okogie as well…
All 3 of those guys would get tons of play on other teams and with the injuries we have they do get more mins now. But with a healthy team I'm not 100% sure Monte knows how to use them. He tends to wear players out sometimes, and other times he pulls a player with the hot hand who has only been in for 5 min. I'm not an NBA analyist, so they don't come to me for the answers, but something seems off.

I think Monte REALLY doesn't like DA because DA doesn't get all starry eyed when Monte gives his "be a better man" speeches. On another team
DA could/would THRIVE. I almost WANT to see it, and that's sad.

@%&% Devin Booker, get your #1 pick a solid Power efing Forward running mate who can take pressure off the big man. This franchise has a rare opportunity to have a center of legend and we will squander that away because our coach is butthurt.

F it just trade him for a couple shooting guards, you know that's what you want.
Vodka sorry

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All 3 of those guys would get tons of play on other teams and with the injuries we have they do get more mins now. But with a healthy team I'm not 100% sure Monte knows how to use them. He tends to wear players out sometimes, and other times he pulls a player with the hot hand who has only been in for 5 min. I'm not an NBA analyist, so they don't come to me for the answers, but something seems off.

I think Monte REALLY doesn't like DA because DA doesn't get all starry eyed when Monte gives his "be a better man" speeches. On another team
DA could/would THRIVE. I almost WANT to see it, and that's sad.

@%&% Devin Booker, get your #1 pick a solid Power efing Forward running mate who can take pressure off the big man. This franchise has a rare opportunity to have a center of legend and we will squander that away because our coach is butthurt.

F it just trade him for a couple shooting guards, you know that's what you want.
Vodka sorry

Yeah, Monty isn't one to have a large rotation.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Suns do have a load of SG and they are going to have to give some away to get better. Shamet and Booker are untradeable but Bridges and Lee are worth something.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Also, I hear there's a second player behind Webanyama (SP) that's a franchise player, too. So tanking with two good prospects sounds not as risky to me.
Yeah scoot is a stud and would be the heir to Paul.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Agreed.

I don’t think I’ve ever been as wrong about anything with sports as I was in the Ayton v. Luka debate. I was the biggest Luka detractor or the whole board, mocking people who even dared debate taking him over Ayton. Pretty ridiculous to look back at those threads now and where I am now on both guys.
Yeah, you are a dummy.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose