Suns free agency recap and going forward

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Was curious how he signed. I thought they had early bird rights but full bird, which works either way. Solid depth signing with no real cap or tax implications. I know some veterans get more on minimum deals since minimum deals are based on years in the league.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Getting a little nervous about available options - still think we need another creator along with a reliable big that can shoot.

Those options are disappearing quickly.

So far the +/- from last year is essentially swap out Javale for Torrey Craig, which is an upgrade but a pretty minor one and Shamet for JC, another minor upgrade.

At this point, I wonder if it would have made more sense to give a guy like Noel the full MLE and fill in with minimum deals.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Getting a little nervous about available options - still think we need another creator along with a reliable big that can shoot.

So far the +/- from last year is essentially swap out Javale for Torrey Craig, which is an upgrade but a pretty minor one and Shamet for JC, another minor upgrade.

At this point, I wonder if it would have made more sense to give a guy like Noel the full MLE and fill in with minimum deals.

Noel wanted to start and is getting a little more than the MLE. Paying that much to someone for 10-15 minutes a game isn't a good way to manage salaries. We needed an older player like McGee who was willing to be a backup for a reasonable cost. We got that. We still got $4.5 million of the MLE to spend.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

He got more than the full MLE.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Noel wanted to start and is getting a little more than the MLE. Paying that much to someone for 10-15 minutes a game isn't a good way to manage salaries. We needed an older player like McGee who was willing to be a backup for a reasonable cost. We got that. We still got $4.5 million of the MLE to spend.
Yeah, I guess the starting part is a bit tough, but I'm sure between 4 and 5, Noel would get at least 20-25 minutes a game. Whether he started or not is irrelevant, and he's get heavy minutes in the playoffs.

Noel or a guy like him would be a major addition, and it seems like we're expecting internal growth to get us over the top.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Meanwhile, as I feared, it is looking more and more like Sarver is indeed going cheap and pocketing the MLE and BAE.

IF that is the case, I am now convinced more than ever that this team will never win a championship as long as Robert Sarver is the owner.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Meanwhile, as I feared, it is looking more and more like Sarver is indeed going cheap and pocketing the MLE and BAE.

IF that is the case, I am now convinced more than ever that this team will never win a championship as long as Robert Sarver is the owner.

Dude, we were just there, and were literally just a McGee away from winning the title.

Do you even think before you type, or is it all intentional trolling.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Give it a rest. I was going to ignore the similar post in the other thread but you decided to double down here. He's spending money, just not how YOU want. I don't blame him for not rushing out to get in the luxury tax right now because next year is guaranteed and repeater tax is much higher.

He's already spent half the MLE and resigned Paul and Payne. Resigning Nader instead of replacing him with a minimum salary youngster makes up for the money he saved in the Carter/Shamet deal.

You're so focused on the bottom line and how much he's spending that you fail to accept that he's made good moves and its ridiculous. Paying big bucks doesn't guarantee a damn thing.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's hard to look at impact to +/- that way since McGee and Craig play two different positions and two different roles. That alone might change the dynamic of the teams overall outcome when it comes to that. Even when comparing Shamet for JC.

I had not thought this through yet but it looks to be if the Suns are trying to change the dynamics of who comes off the bench and from different positions.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Give it a rest. I was going to ignore the similar post in the other thread but you decided to double down here. He's spending money, just not how YOU want. I don't blame him for not rushing out to get in the luxury tax right now because next year is guaranteed and repeater tax is much higher.

He's already spent half the MLE and resigned Paul and Payne. Resigning Nader instead of replacing him with a minimum salary youngster makes up for the money he saved in the Carter/Shamet deal.

You're so focused on the bottom line and how much he's spending that you fail to accept that he's made good moves and its ridiculous. Paying big bucks doesn't guarantee a damn thing.

Good moves?

The team still doesn't have a single NBA power forward on the roster.

The team still doesn't have a third point guard for when they need to rest CP3.

The team still doesn't have a wing other than Booker who can create shots for himself or others.

One hole has been filled (back-up center), while three, including by far the biggest one, remain.

And the Suns have over $10 million in salary space BELOW the luxury tax line going unspent despite those holes remaining.

AND Sarver said last week that he was prepared to do anything, including paying luxury tax now AND next year, in order to bring a championship to Phoenix.

Robert Sarver is a liar. He hasn't changed after all. He never will.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

The team still doesn't have a wing other than Booker who can create shots for himself or others.

One hole has been filled (back-up center), while three, including by far the biggest one, remain.

And the Suns have over $10 million in salary space BELOW the luxury tax line going unspent despite those holes remaining.
Should have stopped here, some legitimate things to discuss.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good moves?

AND Sarver said last week that he was prepared to do anything, including paying luxury tax now AND next year, in order to bring a championship to Phoenix.

You are ridiculous. Free agency started yesterday. It doesn't matter if it's last year or this year....you are a sky is falling type. Ignore is an inch away.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Should have stopped here, some legitimate things to discuss.

Probably. I am just fed up with Sarver...and fed up with myself for getting my hopes up that he has truly changed and that the Joe Johnson/Kurt Thomas era Sarver wouldn't re-emerge.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Probably. I am just fed up with Sarver...and fed up with myself for getting my hopes up that he has truly changed and that the Joe Johnson/Kurt Thomas era Sarver wouldn't re-emerge.
We get it, your opinion is well known on this matter, and probably doesn't need to be added to every subsequent thread. Thx!

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Good moves?

How many PF’s in the west make you nervous to match up with right now?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You are ridiculous. Free agency started yesterday. It doesn't matter if it's last year or this year....you are a sky is falling type. Ignore is an inch away.
Why an inch away? Those of you constantly responding to him have allowed him to hijack every thread about the suns offseason. It’s a shame. The amount of “you are ridiculous” responses is what’s ridiculous at this point. He’s not changing. It’s up to you.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good moves?

:eek::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Stop responding to him, FFS! I never took him of the ignore function, but every other bleeping post is a response to the ignored content. Stop engaging him- you should all know he is either a troll or completely insane by now. Don't feed the damn troll.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
How many PF’s in the west make you nervous to match up with right now?
Zion Williamson
Anthony Davis
Jaren Jackson Jr./Brandon Clarke
Draymond Green/Eric Paschall
Aaron Gordon/JaMychal Green
Marvin Bagley/Chimezie Metu
Serge Ibaka

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Stop responding to him, FFS! I never took him of the ignore function, but every other bleeping post is a response to the ignored content. Stop engaging him- you should all know he is either a troll or completely insane by now. Don't feed the damn troll.
And the vast majority of responses aren’t even substantive basketball talk. It’s all “you’re an idiot,” or “you’re a troll,” or “cmon!” I mean, when is enough enough for all of you?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave