Suns Awards Coming?

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

1. Mikal Bridges, Phoenix Suns

Reason: I still believe Mikal Bridges has been the best defensive player I’ve seen this season, outside of Green when he was healthy. Bridges has been unbelievable for the Phoenix Suns, and he’s galvanized their third-leading defense in the NBA. Here’s the knock against Bridges: The Suns are actually better without him on the floor. Their second-unit defense has been beyond elite, and they don’t even give up 100 points per 100 possessions when Bridges is on the bench. That’s due to great coaching by Monty Williams, and this team is unbelievably deep with role players now that they have JaVale McGee and Bismack Biyombo anchoring the defense when Deandre Ayton isn’t in the game.

Bridges’ versatility and tenacity are what wow players, coaches and executives. I’ve heard scouts and front-office people compare him to watching Kawhi Leonard in his early San Antonio days. We know Bridges can defend one through four pretty brilliantly. He’s one of the best in the league navigating screen action on the floor, and teams are constantly setting screens on him to try and dislodge him from the hip of the man he’s marking. His long arms prevent deflections because opponents are afraid to pass his way. Bridges guards the best scorer on the team every game, and half of the game plan is trying to get him switched off that player. Bridges is as deserving as anybody right now, and it will probably be the first of many DPOY awards if he wins it this season.

1. Monty Williams, Phoenix Suns

Quick-hitter: While I’ve wanted to make sure Bickerstaff is getting his just due for the Cleveland turnaround, Williams is probably going to run away with this award, barring a Chris Paul absence-led collapse in the final stretch. The Phoenix Suns have been brilliant all season long, and they’re running away with the best record in the NBA. Williams deserves it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Monty is as close to a sure thing as one can get for Coach of the Year with the Finals appearance last season and hopefully the best NBA regular season record this season. Also the NBA owes him for last season's selection. Plus the Suns have both their All-Star guards out so that should add some points.

Mikal Bridges has my vote for Defensive Player of the Year. Gobert has been out and Bridges is an ironman. Rudy has missed 14 games this season so far. I agree voter fatigue could be an issue as well.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes we will basically have 4 max style players. Crazy

Last 2 months he has been really good on offense too and in ways he didn't used to do well, his mid range game has gotten really good and he and Cam are both attack in transition like mad men.