Summer trades?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But something good is better than 'something'. Especially if that 'something' has proven to be inconstant, whether starting or coming off the bench at Center.

Especially if the 'nothing' alternative to which you refer results ultimately in the Seattle Suns. That might be the 'nothing'.

It sounds like you're tricking your mind into finding peace with the status quo. But look where it has gotten us.

To paraphrase the old saying, "Some men see things as they are and ask 'why?'. I (want to) see things that never were and ask 'why not?'.

My thing is an NBA well rounded basketball roster . . . and leadership.

No chance do the Suns get moved to Seattle. That is something fans are afraid of for some reason but there is no way that happens with Colangelo having say in the NBA offices and with Team USA building a facility here in Phoenix, I'd be shocked if the NBA decided to abandon the city.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I hope you're right. I guess we'll just have to wait it out.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Fans here tend to overvalue our players some of the things people thought we could get for Bledsoe were laughable.

I would give everything but our #1 this year and Booker other than that they can have anyone for Lillard.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fans here tend to overvalue our players some of the things people thought we could get for Bledsoe were laughable.

I would give everything but our #1 this year and Booker other than that they can have anyone for Lillard.

I think it's just as accurate to say that fans here overvalue players on other teams. And we also tend to undervalue some of our own.

I think Lillard is a heck of a player and I'd love to have him on our team. Portland is very fortunate to have him. But when he's your player, the worst thing about it is you have to pay him almost 30 million a year for the next 3 years. For us to get him, we'd have to pay that same money plus we'd have to give up a lot of assets to acquire him. That's just too much. It's questionable whether you can win at the highest level just paying that kind of money to a Damian, doing it while giving away a lot of your future makes no sense to me.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I think it's just as accurate to say that fans here overvalue players on other teams. And we also tend to undervalue some of our own.

I think Lillard is a heck of a player and I'd love to have him on our team. Portland is very fortunate to have him. But when he's your player, the worst thing about it is you have to pay him almost 30 million a year for the next 3 years. For us to get him, we'd have to pay that same money plus we'd have to give up a lot of assets to acquire him. That's just too much. It's questionable whether you can win at the highest level just paying that kind of money to a Damian, doing it while giving away a lot of your future makes no sense to me.

30 mil is fine for a guy in his prime that will make 2nd or 3rd team all-NBA for the next three seasons. You’re right though in it caps our ability to bolster other areas of the roster. It would take our top-3 pick so we’d be Portland-South with an even worse frontcourt.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Bledsoe thing was pretty bad but I don’t know if it held a candle to bear universal agreement that people would rather have Bender than Julius Randle... and this was after Randle started tearing it up for the Lakers this season.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
30 mil is fine for a guy in his prime that will make 2nd or 3rd team all-NBA for the next three seasons. You’re right though in it caps our ability to bolster other areas of the roster. It would take our top-3 pick so we’d be Portland-South with an even worse frontcourt.

You don't give up your 1. I think it would take Jackson though and im ok with that.

You get a young core of Lillard, Booker and Ayton

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Bledsoe thing was pretty bad but I don’t know if it held a candle to bear universal agreement that people would rather have Bender than Julius Randle... and this was after Randle started tearing it up for the Lakers this season.

Lol I was part of that at the beginning of the year. I've seen enough of Bender now I'd trade him for damn near anything now. You can't teach heart

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I do think Len is better than no center for match-up purposes. If the opposing team goes big the Suns need someone to occupy space underneath the basket.

What I'm saying is Len is better than Chandler and Williams.

Something is better than nothing.
Len makes no impact. He doesn't slow down other big lineups and certainly no one bothers to adjust to him... other than maybe to exploit how bad he is on rotations.

If Williams returns to his pre-injury form it is really hard to make an argument that Len is better than Williams or Chandler. He rebounds better than Chandler but Chandler is better at everything else. Neither are a solution for the position though.

Basically, what I'm saying is "how to replace Len" shouldn't be a thought. We don't need to replace him because he provides next to nothing.

We need to upgrade talent in general and Len sticking around, unless it's for beans and as a reserve, hinders the process.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Len makes no impact. He doesn't slow down other big lineups and certainly no one bothers to adjust to him... other than maybe to exploit how bad he is on rotations.

If Williams returns to his pre-injury form it is really hard to make an argument that Len is better than Williams or Chandler. He rebounds better than Chandler but Chandler is better at everything else. Neither are a solution for the position though.

Basically, what I'm saying is "how to replace Len" shouldn't be a thought. We don't need to replace him because he provides next to nothing.

We need to upgrade talent in general and Len sticking around, unless it's for beans and as a reserve, hinders the process.

I find myself defending Len which is something I do not want to do because I'm ready to move on.

As I have said, I would keep Len on the cheap which is highly unlikely to happen. If he is to contribute consistently, he needs to start.

I do think there are worse center types around the league such as Meyers Leonard and Miles Plumlee. Actually there are probably a number of centers on NBA rosters that are worse than Len.

The only reason Chandler will be on the Suns roster is his $13 million dollar contract. There are question marks about Williams health going into next season. He may be gone if the Suns need his salary.

Actually I think "how to replace Len" is a thought because the Suns do not have anyone better at this position. The Suns need someone to match-up with DeAndre Jordon, Steven Adams and Jusuf Nurkic to name a few. McDonough has identified center is the Suns most pressing need. I'm more than happy to replace Len but I do think he has value.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I find myself defending Len which is something I do not want to do because I'm ready to move on.

As I have said, I would keep Len on the cheap which is highly unlikely to happen. If he is to contribute consistently, he needs to start.

I do think there are worse center types around the league such as Meyers Leonard and Miles Plumlee. Actually there are probably a number of centers on NBA rosters that are worse than Len.

The only reason Chandler will be on the Suns roster is his $13 million dollar contract. There are question marks about Williams health going into next season. He may be gone if the Suns need his salary.

Actually I think "how to replace Len" is a thought because the Suns do not have anyone better at this position. The Suns need someone to match-up with DeAndre Jordon, Steven Adams and Jusuf Nurkic to name a few. McDonough has identified center is the Suns most pressing need. I'm more than happy to replace Len but I do think he has value.

We have a serious disconnect on that point... Len does absolutely nothing to slow those guys down. We are just as well off with any other big man stiff as we are with Len. And I don't see how Meyers Leonard and his non-rotation status and Plumlee being the 9th man on a dreadful team are any justification for keeping Len... especially if he supposedly needs to start.

And again, if you think that Len NEEDS to start to achieve his mediocre status then we absolutely should get rid of him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have a serious disconnect on that point... Len does absolutely nothing to slow those guys down. We are just as well off with any other big man stiff as we are with Len. And I don't see how Meyers Leonard and his non-rotation status and Plumlee being the 9th man on a dreadful team are any justification for keeping Len... especially if he supposedly needs to start.

And again, if you think that Len NEEDS to start to achieve his mediocre status then we absolutely should get rid of him.

I was pointing out there are numerous centers around the league that are worse than Len.

As I've mentioned numerous times I hope the Suns can draft Ayton or someone else to be the starting center.

What I try to do is look at best case scenarios for players and teams.

Len could best optimize his game by starting for a team that can afford to play him there or give him regular minutes. He plays better when given regular minutes. I'm not saying this makes him a good center by any stretch but he plays better when he starts.

If the Suns kept Len it would only be to provide depth. This doesn't help either party.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Len in the offseason... whether he catches on with another team or he returns to Europe.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It will be tough to objectively evaluate Len. We will always compare him with what we wanted him to be based upon where he was drafted rather than what he actually is compared to other centers. In the end though, I don't think it matters. Len is as much done with the Suns as Suns fans are done with him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will be tough to objectively evaluate Len. We will always compare him with what we wanted him to be based upon where he was drafted rather than what he actually is compared to other centers. In the end though, I don't think it matters. Len is as much done with the Suns as Suns fans are done with him.

He might end up with fellow first round pick Archie Goodwin on the NAZ Suns. :)

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Too many questions with no coach and ping pong ball not pulled. But I feel the Suns need to upgrade with Randle, Parker or Gorden and give Dragon and Chriss the other minutes. Please, Len is not going to Naz he is serviceable. If the Suns do not get Ayton they will play 5 players that can play anywhere on the floor.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too many questions with no coach and ping pong ball not pulled. But I feel the Suns need to upgrade with Randle, Parker or Gorden and give Dragon and Chriss the other minutes. Please, Len is not going to Naz he is serviceable. If the Suns do not get Ayton they will play 5 players that can play anywhere on the floor.

A little humor there. If Len does not make it in the NBA he might go back to Europe.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Len will be in the NBA somewhere, if you're 7 feet tall and you move around okay you're just about guaranteed an NBA job.

Here what I think is a fair assessment without hyperbole; in the modern NBA if you're a plodding big man you don't have a lot of value unless you're able to stretch the floor or you're a defensive stud on the interior. Len is neither.

He should be a back end of the rotation player on a small contract and if that is the only kind of offers he gets then I expect he will take it from someone else.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Most people accept that draft class was awful and his draft positioning should not be used as a gauge of his success. We know he'll never play as good as where he was drafted would indicate. I don't see anyone setting unrealistic goals for him at this point. The Suns had signed the #1 overall pick from Len's class and he couldn't even make the team despite having serious holes in our front court rotation. Len will never be more than a backup here, which sucks to admit considering the amount of time the Suns have invested in him, but that has nothing to do with where he was drafted, IMO.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I was pointing out there are numerous centers around the league that are worse than Len.
For the Suns, that's a minus.

Len could best optimize his game by starting for a team that can afford to play him there or give him regular minutes.
For the Suns, that's a plus.

I give your post a 50 out of 100. "Well, Dick, it has a good beat." :D

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the Suns, that's a minus.

For the Suns, that's a plus.

I give your post a 50 out of 100. "Well, Dick, it has a good beat." :D

I tend to look at things from different directions to gain perspective.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I hope we draft Ayton so we never have to read Lens name again. All he did was tantalize us and not deliver in a sustained manner.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hope we draft Ayton so we never have to read Lens name again. All he did was tantalize us and not deliver in a sustained manner.

I don't think he tantalized anyone over the last 2 years or so. He's been nothing but frustrating. 2 years ago it was frustrating because that seemed to be his last year here and he still wasn't producing consistently and then this last season he started the season really well. That's typical Suns luck, a player finally "gets it" when they're on their way out the door but he fell apart in late December, reverting to the Len we've all come to know. He had a few games where he looked good throughout the remainder of the season but no one allowed his brief flashes to fool them.