Study says Arizona Cardinals have most bandwagon fans in NFL

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take it for what you will.

Dumb Poll said:
From 2001 until 2013, one NFL franchise towered above the rest, at least in terms of bandwagon fans. While every NFL fan likes to throw the "bandwagon" insult around when talking about opposing fans, now we finally know which fanbase is most deserving of that label.

According to a new study conducted by Emory University, the Arizona Cardinals have the most bandwagon fans in the league. The study specifically says that Cardinals "fans are most responsive to winning percentage in the NFL based on our statistical model of attendance."

Here's how the list shakes out:

1. Cardinals
  2. Saints
  3. Bills
  4. Raiders
  5. Redskins
  6. Rams
  7. Jaguars
  8. Bengals
  9. Chargers
  10. Browns

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...ve-most-bandwagon-fans-in-nfl?FTAG=YHF7e3228e

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A bunch of hooey. It was the new stadium that caused our attendance to soar more than anything else.

Fans didn't want to sit in metal bleachers in 100+ degree heat at 1 in the afternoon... and I cannot blame them.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Now that Bill Bidwill has been put out to pasture rooting for the Cardinals is no longer an exercise in futility.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Is there a link available to this study?

Reaction score
Also consider a lot of Cardinal fans were fans of other teams that had transplanted to the valley. So I can see the fluctuation based on winning.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the Seahawks fans aren't even in the top 10?? They should be #1 on this list. This list is so far off

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's based solely on attendance I believe. Seahawks have always had good attendance, with a small hardcore fanbase. There is no way to study real bandwagoners, who don't even go to games most of the time.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Not sure if Arizona has the most bandwagon fans, but we sure have our fair share of them. Everybody who's spent quality time in the state knows that the fans are very fickle and will leave at a moment's notice. I still don't think the Cardinals have completely recovered post-Warner. Truth be told, I can't remember the team having a true sellout game since (this means every seat is taken, not the old blackout rule that required only 85% of the stadium being sold out). Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but we haven't had anyone in the NFL Top 25 in jersey sales in about 5 seasons.

This is consistent with fan behavior in Phoenix over the past 15 years. If the team isn't doing well, the fans are very quick to leave. The Suns in 2010 saw a sharp decline in attendance as soon as it was obvious that the team was going to be putrid. This was after a trip to the Western Conference Finals.

The key to building a solid fan base with few Johnny-Come-Latelys is to make the playoffs in consecutive seasons, get to and eventually win a championship. That's how the New Orleans Saints got their fans.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Combination of new stadium(SDS was miserable) and being committed to winning.

I'm a die hard never miss a game no matter how bad they are. But I know they are committed to winning. I couldn't say that's in the past with the old man running it.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Not sure if Arizona has the most bandwagon fans, but we sure have our fair share of them. Everybody who's spent quality time in the state knows that the fans are very fickle and will leave at a moment's notice. I still don't think the Cardinals have completely recovered post-Warner. Truth be told, I can't remember the team having a true sellout game since (this means every seat is taken, not the old blackout rule that required only 85% of the stadium being sold out). Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but we haven't had anyone in the NFL Top 25 in jersey sales in about 5 seasons.

This is consistent with fan behavior in Phoenix over the past 15 years. If the team isn't doing well, the fans are very quick to leave. The Suns in 2010 saw a sharp decline in attendance as soon as it was obvious that the team was going to be putrid. This was after a trip to the Western Conference Finals.

The key to building a solid fan base with few Johnny-Come-Latelys is to make the playoffs in consecutive seasons, get to and eventually win a championship. That's how the New Orleans Saints got their fans.

Very true, I lived in the valley for 40 years. We were constantly out numbered in our own stadium. IIRC there were only 20 to 30 thousand season ticket holder when I was one.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Take it for what you will.

Arizona fans have always been bandwagon fans, regardless of sport...Not sure they deserve to be #1, but their is no denying their bandwagoning. This is what happens, though, when you are in a metro area comprised of so many outsiders that have moved here. People/Fans hold onto their allegiances. I know I did, when I moved to SoCal.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
So the Seahawks fans aren't even in the top 10?? They should be #1 on this list. This list is so far off

I would agree.

I have lived in the Pacific Northwest for 6 years now and when I arrived you never saw a single Seahawks bumper sticker, jersey, or flag. Now you see it everywhere, and everyone acts as if their tradition is similar to the Packers, Steelers, and Cowboys.

The Seahawks HAVE sold out their stadium for a very long time, but you have to remember that they have regional support that includes Oregon, Idaho, BC, and to a lesser extent Montana/Wyoming. That's a large geographic area to pull form, whereas the Cardinals really only draw people from Phoenix.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
A bunch of hooey. It was the new stadium that caused our attendance to soar more than anything else.

Fans didn't want to sit in metal bleachers in 100+ degree heat at 1 in the afternoon... and I cannot blame them.

Fair weather fan or bandwagon fan is about the same to me. And I agree that we are right up there at the top of both. I know most everyone on this board has been a fan through thick and thin. However, since the new stadium and superbowl/playoff years, there are noticeably more people that pop up, especially out of state. Here in NM, before the Warner/Superbowl years, you would rarely see anyone sport Cardinals gear. People who either weren't fans or were too embarrassed to show it during the down years, I would consider bandwagon. Just like I can't stand when I hear someone say "I am an AZ Cardinal season ticket holder but my real favorite team is the Bears or Packers".

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's true... and TJ is dead on

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How anybody can deny we don't have alot of bandwagon fans is beyond me. I had season tickets for 8 seasons (3 seats). It was a regular occurrence to see a sea of jerseys from the other team we were playing. As of late it's the best it's ever been IMO. We live in a state where a ton of people are from somewhere else who for the longest time really were not compelled to jump on the Cards bandwagon. When Kurt got here the tide started to change. The new stadium definitely helped.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How anybody can deny we don't have alot of bandwagon fans is beyond me. I had season tickets for 8 seasons (3 seats). It was a regular occurrence to see a sea of jerseys from the other team we were playing. As of late it's the best it's ever been IMO. We live in a state where a ton of people are from somewhere else who for the longest time really were not compelled to jump on the Cards bandwagon. When Kurt got here the tide started to change. The new stadium definitely helped.

I don't have an issue with saying we have a lot of bandwagon fans. What I have an issue with is bow he came up with it. It is a flawed analysis since it takes only one factor, stadium attendance.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think its fine that we have a bandwagon, we played in the worst stadium in America for almost 20 years. It was a complete joke to think an NFL team could thrive in that urine soaked, heat-stroke of a dump. However, if this study is run in 5 years without the SDS era, we will be nowhere near the top.

Whatever, I don't care. We are going to have a hell of a season and I will be there for every game with all my bandwagon money and bandwagon beers and bandwagon Cardinals swag. The rest of the world can kiss my bandwagon ass.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

agreed. Talk about the stadium all you'd like guys, but anytime there was actually a BIG game, the place was usually packed. Now, those times were VERY few and even further FAR BETWEEN, but the main reason we didn't have fans was it wasn't our team and they just sucked out loud for the better part of two decades. I NEVER saw Cardinals gear anywhere until we got the stadium and even then, I didn't see much until after the Super Bowl. The stadium helped greatly get people in the stands, but WINNING has no doubt helped. Since we got to the UOP, in 7 years, 5 of those we've been in the running for the playoffs and only had 2 losing seasons. That is completely opposite for what came before it. No doubt, a shiny new stadium put butts in the seats, but winning on a regular basis kept them there.

and I don't know how people are calling Seahawks bandwagon fans. Maybe nationally, but in Seattle, they've sold out that stadium for 12 straight years and it's consistently been the toughest/loudest place to play, even before this current run.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I think its fine that we have a bandwagon, we played in the worst stadium in America for almost 20 years. It was a complete joke to think an NFL team could thrive in that urine soaked, heat-stroke of a dump. However, if this study is run in 5 years without the SDS era, we will be nowhere near the top.

Whatever, I don't care. We are going to have a hell of a season and I will be there for every game with all my bandwagon money and bandwagon beers and bandwagon Cardinals swag. The rest of the world can kiss my bandwagon ass.

Best post I've read in a long time Freakin awesome

Jim Otis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

splitsecond preaching to the Cards Fan Choir !!!!!!