stocks you like

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Is Tesla done falling? I think I may be in at this price.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is Tesla done falling? I think I may be in at this price.
Unfortunately... When the broader market starts to correlate and get into this type of volatility, all bets are off IMO. The rising tide theory. Especially in TSLAs case. They are just too big now in market cap to not get tagged hard just like Apple as a representation of the broader market.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hey @elindholm. I came across an ETF (MOAT) that may interest you as someone who favors Morningstar research and analysis.

It's a little pricey with an expense ratio of 0.47%.

MOAT Fund Description​

MOAT tracks a staggered, equal-weighted index of 40 US companies that Morningstar determines to have the highest fair value among firms with a sustainable competitive advantage.

MOAT Factset Analytics Insight​

MOAT holds a concentrated portfolio of stocks that are attractively priced and have sustainable competitive advantages (patents, high switching costs, etc.). Morningstar's equity research team determines the fund’s selection by assigning an economic rating and a fair value estimate to the companies in the Morningstar US Market Index. Despite its safe-sounding name, MOAT makes radical departures from market-like coverage. The fund favors single-name positions and may have significant sector biases. It follows an equal-weighted index with a staggered rebalance—half the portfolio is reconstituted with equal weights every six months, and the other half follows three months later. MOAT also caps turnover and sector exposure. This results in the fund holding more than 40 names at times.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Hey @elindholm. I came across an ETF (MOAT) that may interest you as someone who favors Morningstar research and analysis.

It's a little pricey with an expense ratio of 0.47%.

MOAT Fund Description​

MOAT tracks a staggered, equal-weighted index of 40 US companies that Morningstar determines to have the highest fair value among firms with a sustainable competitive advantage.

MOAT Factset Analytics Insight​

MOAT holds a concentrated portfolio of stocks that are attractively priced and have sustainable competitive advantages (patents, high switching costs, etc.). Morningstar's equity research team determines the fund’s selection by assigning an economic rating and a fair value estimate to the companies in the Morningstar US Market Index. Despite its safe-sounding name, MOAT makes radical departures from market-like coverage. The fund favors single-name positions and may have significant sector biases. It follows an equal-weighted index with a staggered rebalance—half the portfolio is reconstituted with equal weights every six months, and the other half follows three months later. MOAT also caps turnover and sector exposure. This results in the fund holding more than 40 names at times.

Ha, thanks. I may look into it the next time I have investible funds, but I kind of doubt it. I've already learned not to rely too heavily on Morningstar, and I've also noticed that they tend to push the same stocks over and over. I don't know enough to suspect that there's something unethical going on; what I think it more likely is that their model has certain shortcomings and that they are stubborn to adapt.

It looks like the market is finally going to post a positive week, so I'll probably sit tight for a while and see which of my holdings look more or less likely to recover.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
KNBE KnowBe4. This company sells "security awareness" software and training, i.e. helping businesses help their employees not to fall for scams or otherwise get hacked. They were founded in 2010 and went public last April 22. It surged in the middle of June and has taken a breather this week, but I see it as a long-term play. I got it at 18.07 (edit: this was a typo; correct number is 19.07) and it's at 33.26.

Closed the book on this one. Like all other speculative tech, it's had a rough year. But the price spiked today on news of a possible buyout at 24. Rather than wait to see how that would develop, I went ahead and cashed out at 22.5 when it briefly touched that figure. So it's an 18% profit over 16.5 months, not what I could have had by selling in the 30s, but a relative win with the way things have been going.

I still own BUG, a broader cybersecurity ETF that's been floating in the 25-28 range since May.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Closed the book on this one. Like all other speculative tech, it's had a rough year. But the price spiked today on news of a possible buyout at 24. Rather than wait to see how that would develop, I went ahead and cashed out at 22.5 when it briefly touched that figure. So it's an 18% profit over 16.5 months, not what I could have had by selling in the 30s, but a relative win with the way things have been going.

I still own BUG, a broader cybersecurity ETF that's been floating in the 25-28 range since May.
Sounds like a smart move to sell.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose