Steve Keim Took Control of His Draft - And He Had a Plan in Place

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
While many were clamoring for more offensive weapons for Kyler, Keim not only got one of the best receivers in a lopsided trade, but also used assets and speant money improving what was One of the most talent-deficient defenses in the NFL.

Last year, I accused Keim of letting others, like Kliff, dictate how the draft went. This year, he took initiative to solidify a plan and stick with it. Kliff was a terrible defensive recruiter at TTU, so I feel like Keim took back control. I have no issues with any of the players taken. None. They’ll all be contributors in some form or fashion.

Keim has had an outstanding offseason and deserves kudos. We became a much better football team the last three days.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The only issue...

It may stem from last years draft, but in the most loaded WR draft ever we got nobody.
Yes yes yes yes yes I know we got Hopkins.

However, if you're noticing the trend in this draft teams are taking multiple Wrs. The value is just too good. They just mentioned a guy who would have been a 3rd rounder in last years draft taken in the 6th round.

I truly hope Isabella, Butler, and Johnson are ready to go. One injury to our WR core and we're back to square one if not.

Edit: Here's hoping I jinxed us into taking a pass catcher in the 7th.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This ain’t fantasy football you don’t just load up on shiny toys.

our offense was actually pretty damn good last year and will only get better but we had the worst defense in the nfl. Everything we’ve done this offseason has been to improve the front 7 and our offensive line

I love it

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Going into the offseason, I thought that our offence with a year of experience could add 50 to 100 points, but wondered how we'd reduce what we gave up by about the same number. It seems that was also the question on Keim's mind and he has answered it in FA and this draft without neglecting the offence by adding a massive piece.

Last edited:

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The only issue...

It may stem from last years draft, but in the most loaded WR draft ever we got nobody.
Yes yes yes yes yes I know we got Hopkins.

However, if you're noticing the trend in this draft teams are taking multiple Wrs. The value is just too good. They just mentioned a guy who would have been a 3rd rounder in last years draft taken in the 6th round.

I truly hope Isabella, Butler, and Johnson are ready to go. One injury to our WR core and we're back to square one if not.

Edit: Here's hoping I jinxed us into taking a pass catcher in the 7th.
You did, we did and he also plays RB, besides catching passes.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I feel like Keim blew it on the two 4th rounders.

I understand we needed D lineman, but they were not a good value compared to others available at that point.

I would have rather signed a couple DL veterans that are always available, and likely just as good as these 2. Hopefully they surprise me, but I doubt it.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
This was a better defined and conservative group of prospects. Even the one I didn’t like was well received by other evaluators. Keim likely won’t get the grade he deserves but I’d rate this a A. Those of you who may recall when I did articles like grading every team will recall I’m a tough grader.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like Keim blew it on the two 4th rounders.

I understand we needed D lineman, but they were not a good value compared to others available at that point.

I would have rather signed a couple DL veterans that are always available, and likely just as good as these 2. Hopefully they surprise me, but I doubt it.
Lmao they were awesome value WTF

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was a better defined and conservative group of prospects. Even the one I didn’t like was well received by other evaluators. Keim likely won’t get the grade he deserves but I’d rate this a A. Those of you who may recall when I did articles like grading every team will recall I’m a tough grader.

A works for me

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll take this as a great rating coming from you.

Thanks Harry

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Keim did a number of notable things in this draft:

• Recognized defense’s deficiencies and brought in NFL-caliber plays to fill holes
  • Stayed away from small school players
  • Let the draft come to him. Didn’t seem like he was eager to trade up or trade back into rounds. Only had six picks to start.
  • Didn’t give up on any of the three rookie WRs from last season.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Best value on paper for a overall Cardinal draft which I have ever saw with the initial selections

Now as far as being as good as the 2004 class, that's another story :cards:

That draft got us to a Super Bowl. But I remember going to Sun Devil Stadium for two years after that and watching garbage. This draft was solid be the offseason was phenomenal. Could turn the franchise around immediately. I could even see 10 wins next year if the close games go our way. Gotta give Steve Keim credit. He caught a lot of other GM’s off guard over the past 4 months

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard