Starting in July, Games with gold gets better

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://majornelson.com/2015/06/25/xbox-live-games-with-gold-for-july-2015/?linkId=15120835

Xbox one will now get two games a month instead of one!

I have not heard of one of the xbone games in July but the other 3 titles are all SOLID titles.

On Xbox One, Xbox Live Gold members can download Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag ($29.99 ERP) for free during the month of July. So Many Me ($14.99 ERP) will be available as a free download from July 16th to August 15th.

Not a huge assassins creed guy but I will definately give this one a try.

So many me:
https://youtu.be/cfTrSt-DGw8

On Xbox 360, starting Wednesday, July 1st, Plants vs. Zombies ($14.99 ERP) will be free for Xbox Live Gold members through July 15th. Then on July 16th, Xbox Live Gold Members can download Gears of War 3 ($19.99 ERP) for free through July 31st.

Gears of war is good fun and I plan to go back to it with my son and play the CO-OP. He likes plants vs zombies a lot too so thatll be a fun game to play with him as well.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Black Flag is a very solid title. I wonder with backwards compatibility coming if this changes anything in terms of the number of titles you will get in the future?

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Black Flag is a very solid title. I wonder with backwards compatibility coming if this changes anything in terms of the number of titles you will get in the future?

it says there will be two for 360 and two for the one every month from here on out if you are referencing games with gold.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
it says there will be two for 360 and two for the one every month from here on out if you are referencing games with gold.

Right but when they roll out backwards compatibility for the XBOX ONE, does that mean you can get both the XBOX ONE and XBOX 360 games with gold for free or will you be limited by the console you own?

Most of your XBOX 360 games are supposed to be playable eventually. So, I was going to dump my 360 for trade in value (the tray is broken). However, now I might hold on to it, to get the free games with gold and just be able to play them on the XBOX ONE.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right but when they roll out backwards compatibility for the XBOX ONE, does that mean you can get both the XBOX ONE and XBOX 360 games with gold for free or will you be limited by the console you own?

Most of your XBOX 360 games are supposed to be playable eventually. So, I was going to dump my 360 for trade in value (the tray is broken). However, now I might hold on to it, to get the free games with gold and just be able to play them on the XBOX ONE.

You can log into the xbox website to get the free content without saving your 360.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can log into the xbox website to get the free content without saving your 360.

Oh...I never thought of that. Wait....I would still have to have a separate Gold Account for the older 360 though right?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh...I never thought of that. Wait....I would still have to have a separate Gold Account for the older 360 though right?

Nope. I use the same gamertag and use them to download both Xbox One and 360 games. My 360 hard drive is full, so they just sit in a queue and will never download until I free up space. But at least I own the license now.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope. I use the same gamertag and use them to download both Xbox One and 360 games. My 360 hard drive is full, so they just sit in a queue and will never download until I free up space. But at least I own the license now.

I will have to check that out. Thanks!

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I see what you are saying. You do not have access to the 360 store on xbone however you do have access to the 360 store on your computer. I would think you can initiate download on the computer however I think the 360 has to download it itself. It could be worth keeping just for that.

Personally, once more games are compatible, I will move my 360 to another room for the kids to use/a netflix player in that room and I will just go in there to initiate the downloads for each game.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Correct, I do this all the time and initiate downloads from work.

However, I did not know I would own the license even if the game does not download.

I did buy a 2TB HD for my 360 and plan to clean out my stock hard drives and sell them at $20 a pop or something and just leave the 2TB on the 360.

I wish they would make the 360 have all accounts gold because of my account too. That is the best feature of XBone IMO. On 360 you had to pay for every account where on xbone, the kids can all play online under my gamertag.

I happily paid 60 a year without free games and without every GT having online access. Now that we have all these extra perks, its a SCREAMING deal.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It sounds like Xbox One backwards compatibility is just going to be for select games at first & they'll gradually increase the amount of titles you can play. They're starting with all the best selling/most popular games that people still actually play & of course all of the xbox exclusive titles. They're starting to port a few of the arcade games from 360 over to XBOne, but from what I've seen, you have to buy the game again on the XBOne even if you own it on the 360 (of course that may change).

The Xbox One library of games has increased a lot lately so it's not surprising that they're going to offer 2 games a month now. July doesn't offer much for me since I've already beaten Black Flag & GOW3... hopefully August gives me something I haven't played yet.

Did anyone else take advantage of the EA Access free trial during E3? Basically you could download & play any of the games from their vault for about 5-6 days so I finally got around to playing Madden 15. If you like sports games then it's not a bad deal to pay $30/year to play all of the EA games (except the latest releases).

Also BRR, you can get 12 months of Xbox Live for around $35/year if you find the right deal... one seems to come around every 2-3 months.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like Xbox One backwards compatibility is just going to be for select games at first & they'll gradually increase the amount of titles you can play. They're starting with all the best selling/most popular games that people still actually play & of course all of the xbox exclusive titles. They're starting to port a few of the arcade games from 360 over to XBOne, but from what I've seen, you have to buy the game again on the XBOne even if you own it on the 360 (of course that may change).

The Xbox One library of games has increased a lot lately so it's not surprising that they're going to offer 2 games a month now. July doesn't offer much for me since I've already beaten Black Flag & GOW3... hopefully August gives me something I haven't played yet.

Did anyone else take advantage of the EA Access free trial during E3? Basically you could download & play any of the games from their vault for about 5-6 days so I finally got around to playing Madden 15. If you like sports games then it's not a bad deal to pay $30/year to play all of the EA games (except the latest releases).

Also BRR, you can get 12 months of Xbox Live for around $35/year if you find the right deal... one seems to come around every 2-3 months.

To your first paragraph, you do not repurchase games you had on 360. Only if it is a remastered version specifically for xbone. If you own a 360 game and they make it backwards compatible, you get it for free. I have already downloaded multiple 360 arcade games through the preview program to my XBone. There is an xbox feedback site where people vote for what games they want implemented next, you can go there and vote for games you want so it is not necessarily about the best selling items but the Microsoft games should get it quickly because they can easily set permissions for their games to be ported.

I tried EA access while it was free and played some plants vs zombies. With sports they don't come into it until the title is mostly dead so unless you like playing last years madden, it doesn't provide a lot of value IMO. As their library grows I may end up doing the $5 a month but right now, it doesn't have enough for it to be worth it for me. I am not a huge fan of battlefield, plants vs zombies is only like $15 to own and Madden I usually buy the new version so no need for last years version. Over time I think it'll be awesome though. I imagine because of access, EA games likely never hit games with gold.

I do watch for gold discounts, I think the cheapest I got was $45 but good point.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To your first paragraph, you do not repurchase games you had on 360. Only if it is a remastered version specifically for xbone. If you own a 360 game and they make it backwards compatible, you get it for free. I have already downloaded multiple 360 arcade games through the preview program to my XBone. There is an xbox feedback site where people vote for what games they want implemented next, you can go there and vote for games you want so it is not necessarily about the best selling items but the Microsoft games should get it quickly because they can easily set permissions for their games to be ported.

I tried EA access while it was free and played some plants vs zombies. With sports they don't come into it until the title is mostly dead so unless you like playing last years madden, it doesn't provide a lot of value IMO. As their library grows I may end up doing the $5 a month but right now, it doesn't have enough for it to be worth it for me. I am not a huge fan of battlefield, plants vs zombies is only like $15 to own and Madden I usually buy the new version so no need for last years version. Over time I think it'll be awesome though. I imagine because of access, EA games likely never hit games with gold.

I do watch for gold discounts, I think the cheapest I got was $45 but good point.

I have EA access because I was going to pay for Fifa anyway. I decided that I would just get the rest of the sports games for free and wait for it to show up in the vault. It was a cost cutting move for me.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have EA access because I was going to pay for Fifa anyway. I decided that I would just get the rest of the sports games for free and wait for it to show up in the vault. It was a cost cutting move for me.

If willing to wait for it to come, i think its a great deal. While I enjoy sports games, I would not buy any of them beyond madden most likely so for me it would be an added expense. However, as the library grows, I will be a member. I think it is an awesome deal and getting 10% off the future games is cool but why do that if you can just wait for it to come to the vault.

Right now I am teetering on if I buy the new golf game or if I wait 6-9 months and get EA access when it hits the vault. That is a sport that I don't care if it is the most updated roster or not where in madden, I do not get motivated to play older rosters. Hell, I get irritated at current roster inaccuracy on that game (like some rookies not even being on the roster)

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Thanks for the update on backwards compatibility & congrats on getting into the preview program!

12 month Xbox Live Gold deal $33: http://www.cdkeys.com/12-month-xbox-live-gold-membership-xbox-360

You can get an extra 5% off by liking the CDKeys.com Facebook page... look for the "Click here to get 5% off" button... which brings the price to $31.34.

Or here's another site selling them for $32.86 after the coupon code:

http://www.gamesdeal.com/xbox-360-live-gold-membership-12-month-card.html

Coupon code: xbox4%gamesdeal

You can stack multiple on your account too, but these deals are around all the time so I never bother buying more than 1. I always check out slickdeals.net before buying these to find the best deals... you can even create an account there & get email alerts when new deals come up with your keywords (like Xbox Live).

Last edited:

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Here's the list of games currently backwards compatible for people in the preview program:

A Kingdom for Keflings
A World of Keflings
Alien Hominid HD
Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Tooie
BattleBlock Theater
Defense Grid
Geometry Wars Evolved
Hexic HD
Jetpac Refuelled
Kameo
Mass Effect
N+
Perfect Dark
Perfect Dark Zero
Small Arms
Super Meat Boy
Toy Soldiers
Toy Soldiers: Cold War
Viva Piñata
Viva Piñata: TIP
Zuma

Not very impressive... I played maybe 8 of those (some were free) & I don't think I'd play any of them again. I'm sure when backwards compatibility goes live this fall then they'll have titles that people will actually want to play :)

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update on backwards compatibility & congrats on getting into the preview program!

12 month Xbox Live Gold deal $33: http://www.cdkeys.com/12-month-xbox-live-gold-membership-xbox-360

You can get an extra 5% off by liking the CDKeys.com Facebook page... look for the "Click here to get 5% off" button... which brings the price to $31.34.

Or here's another site selling them for $32.86 after the coupon code:

http://www.gamesdeal.com/xbox-360-live-gold-membership-12-month-card.html

Coupon code: xbox4%gamesdeal

You can stack multiple on your account too, but these deals are around all the time so I never bother buying more than 1. I always check out slickdeals.net before buying these to find the best deals... you can even create an account there & get email alerts when new deals come up with your keywords (like Xbox Live).

Thx for info.

I can invite people to the preview program if you want into it. I sent DCR an invite the other day. It says "they will get notice soon" so it is not instant but I can send you an invite if you can PM me your gamertag.

(PM will email me as a reminder)

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the list of games currently backwards compatible for people in the preview program:

A Kingdom for Keflings
A World of Keflings
Alien Hominid HD
Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Tooie
BattleBlock Theater
Defense Grid
Geometry Wars Evolved
Hexic HD
Jetpac Refuelled
Kameo
Mass Effect
N+
Perfect Dark
Perfect Dark Zero
Small Arms
Super Meat Boy
Toy Soldiers
Toy Soldiers: Cold War
Viva Piñata
Viva Piñata: TIP
Zuma

Not very impressive... I played maybe 8 of those (some were free) & I don't think I'd play any of them again. I'm sure when backwards compatibility goes live this fall then they'll have titles that people will actually want to play :)

this west the test batch, they [plan to be at at least 100 titles by christmas and have several hundred next year.

I owned 5 and downloaded 4 (dont care for toy soldiers) and have actually been playing geometry wars a bunch since then. Love that game.

Login here: https://xbox.uservoice.com/ and you can vote on what games you want to see become backward compatible.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't own any Xbox 360 games whatsoever so the ability to play 360 games doesn't do anything for me, unfortunately.

but if you have a gamertag you can login to xbox 360 and download games with gold and if they become compatible you will have them :shrug:

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't own any Xbox 360 games whatsoever so the ability to play 360 games doesn't do anything for me, unfortunately.
There are lots of great 360 games that are worth playing & they'll likely all be backwards compatible (plus they'll be extremely cheap).

Just off the top of my head... Halo series (they released the 1st 4 for XBOne, but not Reach or OTSD), Gears of War series, Bioshock series, Mass Effect series, Assassin's Creed series, Dragon Age 1 & 2, Fable series, Elder Scrolls, Fallout Series, Borderlands series, Red Dead Redemption, all of the Call of Dutys & Battlefield 3 & 4 were big multiplayer hits (along with Halo).

I'm sure there are plenty more...

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
There are lots of great 360 games that are worth playing & they'll likely all be backwards compatible (plus they'll be extremely cheap).

Just off the top of my head... Halo series (they released the 1st 4 for XBOne, but not Reach or OTSD), Gears of War series, Bioshock series, Mass Effect series, Assassin's Creed series, Dragon Age 1 & 2, Fable series, Elder Scrolls, Fallout Series, Borderlands series, Red Dead Redemption, all of the Call of Dutys & Battlefield 3 & 4 were big multiplayer hits (along with Halo).

I'm sure there are plenty more...

I've played a lot of these, but I had a PS3

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard