Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (Paramount+)

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
CBS All Access announced today that their growing lineup of Star Trek series will soon add another spinoff: Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, which, according to the press release, “will feature fan favorites from season two of Star Trek: Discovery, Anson Mount as Captain Christopher Pike, Rebecca Romijn as Number One, and Ethan Peck as Science Officer Spock.

Read More: CBS Announces New ‘Star Trek’ Series Featuring Enterprise Crew | https://screencrush.com/cbs-all-access-enterprise-show/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anson Mount is great. Can't wait to see him in this role.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very exciting news! I've been really impressed with all of the new ST content on CBS.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anson Mount was fantastic. Can't wait for another Trek show with him and crew.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Did anyone watch the first episode? So much nostalgia and the show seems to be pretty decent. Read a review from a critic that had watched the first five episodes and they said it was the best Star Trek since TNG.

I watched Picard's finale right before the pilot of this, and while the finale wasn't as bad as the episodes that preceded it, you can see a huge difference in quality to SNW.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did anyone watch the first episode? So much nostalgia and the show seems to be pretty decent. Read a review from a critic that had watched the first five episodes and they said it was the best Star Trek since TNG.

I watched Picard's finale right before the pilot of this, and while the finale wasn't as bad as the episodes that preceded it, you can see a huge difference in quality to SNW.
I wasn't all that impressed with episode one. Episode two was a little better but the entire singing thing again was a little cringe. Not sure I am going to like the self-contained episodes as much as the story arc approach. Hopefully, it continues to get better. This is coming from someone who loved the Pike stuff in Discovery.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I wasn't all that impressed with episode one. Episode two was a little better but the entire singing thing again was a little cringe. Not sure I am going to like the self-contained episodes as much as the story arc approach. Hopefully, it continues to get better. This is coming from someone who loved the Pike stuff in Discovery.
Self-contained episodes are classic Star Trek. It's what the universe has been missing for a really long time. Discovery and Picard both started off interesting but they bought in 100% to the "Lost"-style serialization that is so prevalent in modern television.

I'm loving the throwback here. I would love to see an X-Files type trajectory with this show-- have a bigger overarching story, but still have "exploration-of-the-week" episodes.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Self-contained episodes are classic Star Trek. It's what the universe has been missing for a really long time. Discovery and Picard both started off interesting, but they bought in 100% to the "Lost"-style serialization that is so prevalent in modern television.

I'm loving the throwback here. I would love to see an X-Files type trajectory with this show-- have a bigger overarching story, but still have "exploration-of-the-week" episodes.
I think having a story arc is better IMO. Standalone episodes feel like creature of the week and often those episodes hardly have any time to explore characters or themes in any depth. I actually prefer a blended approach which I have seen plenty of shows do. Your last sentence is exactly what I want to see. I think the show will eventually get its legs. Right now? The show has just been OK.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This last episode really bothered me. The comedic part of the episode wasn't bad. However, two things really bugged me about the episode:

It was so easy to take the Enterprise. It's their flagship but taken that easily? Dumb. Second, out of all the Star Trek characters to revisit they revisit Sybok?!?!? Really Sybok?!!? One of the most maligned characters from one of the most maligned films. They trying to make up for it? I can't think of another character in the entire franchise that I would rather see less. Even IF and it's a big IF they manage to RETCON the character a bit and make him better? I so wish they had spent the effort revisiting any other character.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This last episode really bothered me. The comedic part of the episode wasn't bad. However, two things really bugged me about the episode:

It was so easy to take the Enterprise. It's their flagship but taken that easily? Dumb. Second, out of all the Star Trek characters to revisit they revisit Sybok?!?!? Really Sybok?!!? One of the most maligned characters from one of the most maligned films. They trying to make up for it? I can't think of another character in the entire franchise that I would rather see less. Even IF and it's a big IF they manage to RETCON the character a bit and make him better? I so wish they had spent the effort revisiting any other character.
I thought it was the worst episode of the series so far, HOWEVER I laughed like a madman at the end. I thought it was deliciously over the top and terrific and can't wait to see what they do with it.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it was the worst episode of the series so far, HOWEVER I laughed like a madman at the end. I thought it was deliciously over the top and terrific and can't wait to see what they do with it.
It didn't feel over the top for me. In fact, turning him into this serious villain verses his cartoony previous persona? Seems incredibly contrived.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man...this show has taken a dive for me since the start. I just really have not liked so many things about the past few episodes. The ridiculous is almost too much ridiculous. Even this last one that had some really good moments was essentially a complete rip off of aliens/predator. I absolutely hate what they have done with the GORN. They are a CGI bore and alien knockoff (popping out of hosts). The vision is a predator knock off. I mean that entire episode down to the little girl felt like an Alien knockoff. The little girl was basically Newt from Aliens. I am sure that's what they were going for but they couldn't be a little more original on the mash up??? Again, the GORN are just bad.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Man...this show has taken a dive for me since the start. I just really have not liked so many things about the past few episodes. The ridiculous is almost too much ridiculous. Even this last one that had some really good moments was essentially a complete rip off of aliens/predator. I absolutely hate what they have done with the GORN. They are a CGI bore and alien knockoff (popping out of hosts). The vision is a predator knock off. I mean that entire episode down to the little girl felt like an Alien knockoff. The little girl was basically Newt from Aliens. I am sure that's what they were going for but they couldn't be a little more original on the mash up??? Again, the GORN are just bad.
You make it sound like they didn't intend for it to be an homage to Alien/Predator, which it clearly was. And the writers would have known that 100%. There's a fine line between "rip off" and "homage" I guess. If you are already down on the show, it's a rip off, if you like the show, it's an homage. I'm not sure why they decided to make the Gorn like the Aliens with Predator vision, but I'm sure they had to ask themselves how to portray them without going into TOS or V territory where they just look bad.

Funny, I think Strange New Worlds would be received better if the superior Orville didn't happen to be airing at the same exact time. And the Orville's previous episode was exemplary.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You make it sound like they didn't intend for it to be an homage to Alien/Predator, which it clearly was. And the writers would have known that 100%. There's a fine line between "rip off" and "homage" I guess. If you are already down on the show, it's a rip off, if you like the show, it's an homage. I'm not sure why they decided to make the Gorn like the Aliens with Predator vision, but I'm sure they had to ask themselves how to portray them without going into TOS or V territory where they just look bad.

Funny, I think Strange New Worlds would be received better if the superior Orville didn't happen to be airing at the same exact time. And the Orville's previous episode was exemplary.
I think you missed I said this "I am sure that's what they were going for". It's a thin line between homage and rip-off. Most of the time when you see it's subtle. There was nothing subtle about it right down to the little girl. I agree that the original GORN were just bad design, but they couldn't have been more creative? Heck the blue alien in that episode was fantastic.

I thought the show started off great. I just have not liked where they have gone at all since then. I was super excited this show was coming because I loved Pike in Discovery. Maybe it gets better before the season is over but for me it's been a huge mixed bag.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to say the finale saved the season for me. I thought it was a very uneven series with the front episodes good and the back episodes were chalked full of silly/ridiculous.

Excellent finale.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Good show. This is Star Trek...
They even did the tilting sound stage technique during turbulance.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope this season is better than the last. The show was a roller coaster of good and flat out silly for me. Maybe it will be similar in journey to the TNG show which was equally uneven in the first season.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I hope this season is better than the last. The show was a roller coaster of good and flat out silly for me. Maybe it will be similar in journey to the TNG show which was equally uneven in the first season.
Picard’s season 3 quality might be a problem for this show. Hoping it sticks with the classic Star Trek formula, because if not, it’s going to pale in comparison to Picard.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This season has been a pleasant surprise. Not up to the same quality as the 3rd season of Picard, but still better than anything they've done with Discovery. The Lower Decks and Musical episodes were really great and the episode that just aired (2nd to last) was really good too. The Gorn younglings seem like CGI versions of Randall from Monsters Inc, but I did like the adult Gorn that Spock and Chapel dispatched on the broken saucer section. Good moments for all the cast, and the surprise introduction of a new one!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave