Stadium construction overhead shots!!

Cardinal Bob

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
Thanks for those! Gives me that warm fuzzy feeling seeing this thing come together!

Side note: Being from the Northeast, it's very foriegn to see that much open space. The Coyotes arena looks so small in those photos!

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
The almighty ProFootballWeakly said that the Mob pitched in on the stadium costs. They get dibs on who to bury under the 50 yard line.:p :D :) ;)

Last edited:

AZ Shocker

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Can't wait for the new stadium, but apparently, WORD has gotten out about "where" the stadium is being built. If your a fan of college football too, I suppose they make some good points.

From college footaball board (Ohio St. board I think):
I REALLY do NOT like the idea that the Fiesta Bowl is moving out of Tempe and into the Cardianls new stadium. To me...this just kills everything that is good about the Fiesta Bowl.

First of all...and I'm sorry to say this, but Glendale is East L.A. Full of crime and illegal aliens. I expect after a couple of years of major universities coming out to watch their team play in Glendale, I'm sure we'll hear some rumblings about "why in the world was the game ever moved out here?"

Secondly...ASU is known for it's FIESTA'S! A huge college campus in a beautiful part of the country! Mill Avenue is perfect for celebrations the week of the Big Bowl. Everythings within walking distance and people feel "safe" and happy while cruising up and down the area. It can't be duplicated!

Yes, the "newness" of the new stadium will be welcomed, BUT it sure screws up the whole "dynamic" of the Fiesta Bowl feel. Plus it's 25-30 miles away from where most people will "want" to stay.

This stadium was supposed to be built just North of Sun Devil Stadium, and still very much in close proximity to all what the the ASU campus and surrounding area offers. Unfortunently the Bidwills (who own the Arizona Cardinals) screwed up yet another "good thing".
and then this...
I agree with EVERYTHING you said, MakesSense. 100%

I have been really debating whether I give up my Fiesta tickets that Have had for 15 years when they move or keep them because Free Enterprise usually gets me a small profit...

But GLENDALE? bleah! Like the Rose Bowl moving to East LA...
and this
I wonder if the game would ever come back to Tempe.
Perhaps after the thousands of complaints and the less than desirable reviews from out-of-towners...the Fiesta Bowl officials will consider it.

If I were a parent from a university that was playing in this Bowl game in a few years, I just can't imagine sending my college aged son or daughter with a group of friends down to Glendale. Knowing what I know (because I've visited there), the risk of a mugging or "drive-by" is too high. I think I would reconsider sending my kids and the rest of my family (including myself) to Phoenix. Watching it on tv would be much safer.
one more...
I couldn't agree with you guys more. The Fiesta Bowl became the smashing success it is because of the exceptional setting: beautiful stadium, great atmosphere, tons of pre- and post-game entertainment options within a few blocks, etc. Moving the game to Glendale will completely destroy the atmosphere. It would be far easier for me to skip traveling back to the valley for a game if it were all the way out there.
I wonder if the Fiesta Bowl officials have seriously considered the ramifications this has. I'm sorry, but most people who travel to Bowl games have some money. There a lot of "well to do's" if you know what I mean. Are those folks really gonna spend time and money in S. Glendale? And the bigger quesion is this...

Does our reputation take a HUGE hit when "out-of-towners" start spreading the word about all this? Seems like its already started judging by the above comments. :(
:( :( :)

Cardinal Bob

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
Sounds like 4 less people who'll competing for Fiesta Bowl tickets to me. I wouldn't put much stock in it...then again, I've never been to Glendale.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don't think that anyone stays away from the Colliseum (sp?) in LA just because that's RIGHT NEXT DOOR to the friggin' ghetto.

I don't like the Glendale location because I think that you ought to move TOWARD money (East Valley, or at least North Phoenix/Scottsdale) not AWAY from it. Glendale is mostly mid-priced tract housing. I hope that they have a plan out there, because it's not really the kind of place that I think that anyone wants to hang out. The lack of accessibility (Loop 101 is all right, but not as the only access to the rest of the Valley) is going to compound matters.

It'd be nice if the Fiesta Bowl could work something out so that it could still keep their Base of Operations in Tempe, where all the fun really is, and then move the festivities out to Glendale on game day. Perhaps the Light Rail can be used somehow. That would seem to be an ideal "caravan" trasport for people. You could even have special "Party Cars" for the game day.

pinnacle

Reaction score
talk about a whopper of a lie...quote "stadium was supposed to be next to SDS but the Bidwills screwed it up"

The opposite is almost exactly true..due to the fact that they wanted the stadium in Tempe so bad...- they almost blew the whole stadium process!

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story..

WizardOfAz

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by kerouac9
I don't like the Glendale location because I think that you ought to move TOWARD money (East Valley, or at least North Phoenix/Scottsdale) not AWAY from it.

Yeah, I can't believe the TSA turned down the site in Paradise Valley, North Scottsdale, and all of those other sites that really wanted this built in their area. That's a total shame.

They should have put it on the corner of Tatum and Lincoln!

pinnacle

Reaction score
actually...the rose bowl moving to east LA...that is kind of funny - a big chunk of Pasadena is almost worse than east LA...

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Originally posted by kerouac9
Perhaps the Light Rail can be used somehow. That would seem to be an ideal "caravan" trasport for people. You could even have special "Party Cars" for the game day.

I went to a pro soccer game in Germany where all the trains were packed with people going out to the stadium. It was a blast.

They sold like 14" sausages with about 3" buns. The bun's sole purpose was just to give you something to hold the sausage with. Damn tasty, and kinda funny lookin'.

The home team won, and it was a grand ol' time.

*warning: this thread is about to be hijacked*

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Originally posted by WizardOfAz
Yeah, I can't believe the TSA turned down the site in Paradise Valley, North Scottsdale, and all of those other sites that really wanted this built in their area. That's a total shame.

Hey, I'm not an idiot; I know they had to build it out there, but it might have been better for them to buy a chunk of unincorporated land north of Anthem. What I know is that everyone I sit at for games is from the East Valley. I know that my company cancelled its suites when the Coyotes moved to Glendale. I don't think that the stadium is going to be empty, but the 15,000 East Valley season ticket holders aren't going to renew to see another 5-11 or worse season.

We drove from Tempe to Glendale for Thanksgiving, and it was a long, boring drive. I don't think that you'll be able to recoup all those losses from those living in the massive, low-income housing developments popping up on that side of town.

AZ Shocker

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Sounds like 4 less people who'll competing for Fiesta Bowl tickets to me. I wouldn't put much stock in it...then again, I've never been to Glendale.
I'd like to think that way too (and because I'm a Cardinal fan that scenario usually works out well for all of us in getting better tickets), but...

If this type of talk has already started 3 years before the game is even moved there, then I'm afraid what we're gonna hear by then.

I would guess the Fiesta Bowl hates this move, but they feel complelled to move to a newer stadium in order to keep up with the other 3 BCS Bowls. They're the ones that stand to lose the "luster" and "feel" of their game. The 17-25,000 Cardinal fans make out real well. I wouldn't be surprised if in the coming years...Tempe and ASU renovate Sun Devil to bring the game back to where it belongs.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by WizardOfAz

WRONG

The TSA first select Tempe over John F Long. However Phoenix and Sky Harbor used 9/11 to scare everyone into thinking planes would fall out of the sky into the stadium.

Then Mesa won the stadium. However that crazy old lady didn't want it to ruin her view of the waste treatment facility. So if the stadium was going to be built in Mesa it would have to go to a vote. That wasn't going to happen.

Then the Gila River Indian community was it. However the Maricopa attourney said it would be against the law to put it on Indian Land.

Then Glendale entered the picture and offered a plot of land next to the new Yotes arena. That's where it is today.

So you see it wasn't the TSA that turned down those sites. It was other parties who threw a wrench in the whole process.

100%CardsFan

100% embarrassed
Reaction score
That is one of the funniest posts I have ever seen ..Glendale is far from East LA ..give me a break. Oh no! dont send 18-22 year olds to walk to mean streets of Glendale!! LOL Im sure half of these people have never seen or been to a real ghetto.

AZ Shocker

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So you see it wasn't the TSA that turned down those sites. It was other parties who threw a wrench in the whole process.
So what your saying us that Glendale was LAST on the list. Not very good planning if you ask me.

btw, My friends company also is NOT renewing its suite with the Coyotes. The Cardinals are in deep doo-doo. No one I talk too likes the idea of risking a trip to South Glendale.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by AZ Shocker
So what your saying us that Glendale was LAST on the list. Not very good planning if you ask me.

btw, My friends company also is NOT renewing its suite with the Coyotes. The Cardinals are in deep doo-doo. No one I talk too likes the idea of risking a trip to South Glendale.

Nope. Glendale came in at the very end of the process. It kind of replaced John F Long's site which was the second choice.

The original site in the West valley belonged to John F Long. However he had already said that the whole process was unconstitional when his site wasn't selected and Tempe's was. There he would look like an idiot if he suddenly changed his mind and went after the stadium again.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cardinal Bob
Is Glendale really that bad? How far is it from Tempe?

Not even close to being that bad.

It's about 20 miles from Tempe.

100%CardsFan

100% embarrassed
Reaction score
Originally posted by AZ Shocker

Well no offense but the people you talk to that dont want to "risk" going to South Glendale are acting like a bunch of pansies.