SSOL = A new dragic?

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Dragic was brought here to be groomed as steve nashs, replacement and while so far its been a grade A failure do you guys think the new offense could help him out a bit?

I never really saw a problem with dragics decision making, more just his shooting, but thats not going to get better over night, for example tony parker was a terrible shooter when he first entered the league but over the years has become more respectable in that area.

personally im hoping that with the offense opening up and turning into more of a "any open shot is a good shot" will help build his confidence rather than him haveing to worry about wether or not he should be shooting.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dragic was brought here to be groomed as steve nashs, replacement and while so far its been a grade A failure do you guys think the new offense could help him out a bit?

I do know Dragic likes to run the floor and can take the ball to the rim. Whether this translates to the court, I don't know. However, an uptempo game should play to his strength and give him less time to think about his shooting.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
he just flat out sucks. there isn't anything special about him. i see nothing.

Errntknght

Reaction score
One of my typical disagreements with Suns coaches over the years is that they didn't look ahead and see what needed to be done then do it and take their lumps. For years we've needed a backup PG and if we don't acquire one then Dragic needs to be put in that slot, come Hell or high water. Its totally pointless to go into the playoffs with Nash worn to a frazzle so there is really nothing to lose. Its very likely the case that Kerr et al seriously misjudged his readiness to play in the NBA but thats beside the point now since we've put ourselves in the position of having to rely on him. One of the good things about human nature is that when you rely on someone they usually bust their butts trying to justify your faith in them. Goran does have some of the skills needed so its by no means a hopeless situation - confidence seems to be his worst problem and steady playing time is often a good fix for that. Yep, he may fall apart at the seams like Barbs did in a similar situation but we're out of options, so it has to be done.

I give Porter a little credit for giving Dragic an opportunity early in the year but then that might have been Terry trying to please Kerr. At the time I thought the team would finally get some vet in for a backup and there was a remote chance that Barbs would thrive as Steve's backup under a new coach. When neither of those eventuated Terry should have just bitten the bullet and played Dragic as many minutes as Nash needed to rest.

In case you're wondering - if it would have been within my power I'd have forced D'Antoni to use Banks in exactly this fashion. And I don't believe, even now, that it would have been a mistake.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
SSOL = Steve Nash.

Nash made this work with his incredible vision and basketball IQ. You can't just plug some crappy rookie PG in there and expect it to work.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
SSOL = Steve Nash.

Nash made this work with his incredible vision and basketball IQ. You can't just plug some crappy rookie PG in there and expect it to work.
Neither can u just plug in Gentry coaching this roster and expect the SSOL offense to purr like it did under DA. I think some of you are going to be very dissappointed if you're expecting this team to all of a sudden start blowing teams out and improve record-wise simply if they start running again.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Neither can u just plug in Gentry coaching this roster and expect the SSOL offense to purr like it did under DA. I think some of you are going to be very dissappointed if you're expecting this team to all of a sudden start blowing teams out and improve record-wise simply if they start running again.

I agree that's why I used the word "made" in my post instead of "makes" or "will make"

I think the Suns will be moderately more successful playing to their players strengths but they just don't have the talent to return to the glory days.

cly2tw

Reaction score
One of my typical disagreements with Suns coaches over the years is that they didn't look ahead and see what needed to be done then do it and take their lumps. For years we've needed a backup PG and if we don't acquire one then Dragic needs to be put in that slot, come Hell or high water. Its totally pointless to go into the playoffs with Nash worn to a frazzle so there is really nothing to lose. Its very likely the case that Kerr et al seriously misjudged his readiness to play in the NBA but thats beside the point now since we've put ourselves in the position of having to rely on him. One of the good things about human nature is that when you rely on someone they usually bust their butts trying to justify your faith in them. Goran does have some of the skills needed so its by no means a hopeless situation - confidence seems to be his worst problem and steady playing time is often a good fix for that. Yep, he may fall apart at the seams like Barbs did in a similar situation but we're out of options, so it has to be done.

I give Porter a little credit for giving Dragic an opportunity early in the year but then that might have been Terry trying to please Kerr. At the time I thought the team would finally get some vet in for a backup and there was a remote chance that Barbs would thrive as Steve's backup under a new coach. When neither of those eventuated Terry should have just bitten the bullet and played Dragic as many minutes as Nash needed to rest.

In case you're wondering - if it would have been within my power I'd have forced D'Antoni to use Banks in exactly this fashion. And I don't believe, even now, that it would have been a mistake.

Agree on all accounts! The coaches we have are all too myopic. Pop, Sloan, JVG, and other old-schools would give their bench players time and intentionally limit the starters' time, to be prepared for the long run and particularly for playoff games.

Even Banks could have been useful. Dragic is definitely talented. He has very good ball handling and court vision and is a good defender. When I think the likes of Eisley and Vaughs could become more than serviceable PGs under Sloan, Dragic could too. That being said, it speaks about management's judgment when they wouldn't sign a guy like Dooling or Jarret Jack for only a little more than what they paid Dragic!

shazaam6

Censor this
Reaction score
No one can run the offense like Nash. However Nash's defense
You must be registered for see images
isn't good, he can take a charge though. Dragic will not run the offense like Nash but he is a better defender so it won't be too big of a problem. I also think resting Nash by playing a backup helps Nash and will help aclimate Dragic. Play him.:thumbup:

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
Dragic isn't any worse than LB was running the Point... seriously, just 3 years ago I wanted to poke my eyes out when LB was running the show with Nash on the bench. But they stuck with LB because.... he could score. Let's face it. The Suns organization is just about one thing, and one thing only. Offensive productivity NOW... screw defense, screw development, screw the long term.

At the end of the day, we were sold a bill of goods during the draft that was an outright lie. Robin Lopez is terrible, and Dragic was and is a stretch of epic proportions to think he is a future starter in the league. I would love to eat my words, but I won't be forced to anytime soon.

Hat

Return of the Dragon!
Reaction score
I am really hoping Dragic will become a great backup for Steve. He possess a lot of skills that can make him a great PG, like court vision and passing, but is timid because he's new. Give him a couple more years and he will be a good starter. It takes a while for most rookies to adjust to the NBA.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Dragic is definitely talented. He has very good ball handling and court vision and is a good defender. !

oh c'mon, that's just bologna! you're just regurgitating the front office's spin that they used in attempts to sell him on us. his ball handling is subpar, i have yet to see his court vision and he is NOT a good defender. he may develop all that, but right now, he has NONE of that. i even have yet to see his ability "to take the ball to the hole" - just bs.

dbUNIT16

Registered
Reaction score
I believe the rookies, and Dudley will see more playing time in this fast pace offense that Gentry will bring back. I'd like to at least see Lopez, Dudley and Dragic given a chance.

That was my number one complaint of D'Antoni. Not that he the team didn't play defense, but that we never gave any of the rookies a chance to improve. I'm willing to give these guys a shot. Then if they don't work out we can at least say we tried.

In D'Antoni's defense, Porter hasn't given the rookies and Dudley and time either.

Errntknght

Reaction score
oh c'mon, that's just bologna! you're just regurgitating the front office's spin that they used in attempts to sell him on us. his ball handling is subpar, i have yet to see his court vision and he is NOT a good defender. he may develop all that, but right now, he has NONE of that. i even have yet to see his ability "to take the ball to the hole" - just bs.

You're going a bit overboard but it's true that Dragic hasn't shown much but fright. But its necessary to cut Steve's minutes and our best bet at this point is to gamble on Goran. I read something about Gentry planning to do it and I just hope he doesn't get weak in the knees too quick - you know there will be some ugly stretches.

(Or look at it this way, wouldn't you rather be betting on Dragic than on Lopez?)

cly2tw

Reaction score

It's interesting how opinion could differ so much while watching the same player playing the same game. On defense, he gets beat by the super quick PG from time to time but he recovers to bother them very well. Other issues are too subjective.

You're going a bit overboard but it's true that Dragic hasn't shown much but fright. But its necessary to cut Steve's minutes and our best bet at this point is to gamble on Goran. I read something about Gentry planning to do it and I just hope he doesn't get weak in the knees too quick - you know there will be some ugly stretches.

(Or look at it this way, wouldn't you rather be betting on Dragic than on Lopez?)

Exactly. It's about look at the bright side. Porter seems to have the rare talent to get the worst out of his players that make them look worse than they really are. Everyone except Shaq maybe. It's supposedly a clean new chance for everybody.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Dragic is slow, can't shoot and, too often, has his head down while dribbling.

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score

Yeah, well you booed Steve Nash and Shawn Marion so what do YOU know? :D

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like what I see out of Dragic defensively. I hope he can get his offensive game straightened out.