Spider-Man 3

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What evil lurks within Spidey's next adventure?
By Mike Snider, USA TODAY

After handling Doc Ock, director Sam Raimi is now wrestling with several more of the webhead's famous foes, looking for those worthy of Spider-Man 3, expected in the summer of 2007. (Related story: Sam Raimi's stickier moments)

Will Peter Parker's old friend Harry Osborn (James Franco) emerge as his next arch-enemy?

Having finished the Spider-Man 2 DVD, Raimi is set to begin work on a screenplay with Alvin Sargent (Spider-Man 2, Unfaithful). For now, Raimi will only name-drop some classic Spidey villians, including the Green Goblin — possibly resurrected by Harry Osborn (James Franco) — the Vulture and Kraven the Hunter.

"I'm trying to figure out what (Peter Parker) is going to be learning on this next adventure," Raimi says. "Once I know this journey and the conflicts to put in, I would choose the villain that best represents those conflicts."

CQ

Recovered WoW-aholic
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WOO HOO!!!! Long live Spidey! Hubby will be happy to hear about this!

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Filmstew.com interview

Spider-Man 2 brought in big bucks at the box office, grossing in excess of a billion dollars in combined domestic and international release. Fans and reviewers alike appreciated that Raimi and his team of writers focused more on the personal nature of the story – the tremendous price Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire) paid to swing through New York City as Spider-Man – than on the superhero derring-do and action sequences, not that he stinted on the latter, either.

Raimi notes that he steered his collaborators towards delving deeper into what people responded to in the first film and before that, the comic books, and that’s that Peter Parker is really every one of us.

“He’s a human being,” Raimi says. “He’s kind of an outcast, an unpopular kid, kind of a geek. He doesn’t have much money. He comes from a broken home. He’s a very identifiable person. And that’s what always made Stan Lee’s character so unique, that he didn’t come from the planet Krypton.”

“Peter Parker really was you or I, and you identify with this character as he strives to be responsible and strives to use these powers for good, while still having to return every night to do his homework or pay his gas bill,” the filmmaker continues. “So we tried to delve deeper into the human part of Peter Parker and get more into the dramatics of his problems, his desires, and his heartbreak to bring forward the thing that made Stan Lee’s character unique in the first place.”

Since Raimi took time out from penning Spider-Man 3 in order to conduct this interview, it begged the question – what can be expected from the ‘trequel?’ He and his brother, Ivan, developed a basic story, which they’re about to hand off to screenwriter Alvin Sargent, who received sole screenwriter credit on Spider-Man 2. Once Sargent does his bit, Raimi and company will steamroll toward production and a May 4, 2007 release date.

Raimi notes that he’s not yet chosen a villain or villains and, further, he points out that Spider-Man 3 will mine its comic book source less than either Spider-Man or Spider-Man 2.

“I’d say, when we made the first film, that David Koepp, who wrote the screenplay, and I and the other writers who contributed to the first film, like Alvin Sargent, pulled 90 percent of the material directly from the comics,” Raimi says. “Once that movie existed and it came time to make a sequel, we had to not just pull from the comics because the movie had its own reality and its own story.”

“Now, we had an obligation and a need to follow through on the story that the movie audience had come to see, which had diverged slightly from the comic books,” he adds. “But most of the material still came from the comic books.”

With two stories under his belt and a divergence from the comic books now clearly delineated, Raimi is looking more now to wrap up the strands of the first two movies than remain tied to Stan Lee’s original narratives. “I think the audience has been tracking this love story with Mary Jane Watson [Kirsten Dunst] and Peter Parker, and now they’re together. The way they got together and the reality of the movies is slowly becoming more dominant of a guiding force than the books, just because so many unique things have been set up in the movies that have now got to be completed in the third part, that there’s a demand to do that.”

“But I would say the source material is 50 percent from where the first two movies have been heading,” Raimi continues. “In trying to come up with a logical conclusion, wherever possible, we’re also pulling the ideas from the books. It’s about 50-50 on this one.”

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:thumbup: I hope they keep Venom out of it. I'm sure they could do a kick arse job of him in CGI, but I think he's too over-the-top for a mostly family-movie.

Vulture'd be cool. So would Kraven. I'd also like to see some of the others in his original rouges gallery--Scorpion, Electro...Mysterio might be neat; I gues I'd also like them to stay away from Rhino (for the exact opposite reason I think they should stay away from Venom--Rhino is too childish). OOH-OOH-OOH --I know who I want: The Sandman. He'd look super-cool in the movies.

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
Is the Silver Surfer in the Spiderman comic? Is he bad or good? I just remember some ice dude in the cartoon when I was a kid. I'm "comic book" dumb. :wave:

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BendCardfan said:
Is the Silver Surfer in the Spiderman comic? Is he bad or good? I just remember some ice dude in the cartoon when I was a kid. I'm "comic book" dumb. :wave:

Silver Surfer is another Marvel property, and a movie is being talked about.

The cartoon from the 80's featured Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends...Iceman and Firestar. :cool:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BendCardfan said:
The Surfer would more likely show up in a Fantastic Four movie if he were to make a guest appearence. He's a cosmic dude, originally one of Galactus' heralds (Galactus is a really big guy who basically "eats" worlds--sucking them dry of all of their energy). Silver Surfer scouted planets for him, reluctantly.

But, I do think there has been talk of his own flick.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
The cartoon from the 80's featured Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends...Iceman and Firestar. :cool:
Was that the cartoon where they all awkwardly moved in together in Peter's aunt's basement? They would pull the trophy and the walls would move and electronic equipment would be there?? That kinda creeped me out for some reason

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
Was that the cartoon where they all awkwardly moved in together in Peter's aunt's basement? They would pull the trophy and the walls would move and electronic equipment would be there?? That kinda creeped me out for some reason
Yeah, that's the one. I l;oved it when I was younger, but you're right, looking back on it it was a little strange. Even for a show about a guy who walks on walls a chick who shoots flames out of her hands and a frozen guy.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forgive any ignorance, but won't any storylines involving the suit or the various creature manifestations be dependent on coming up with some explanation to replace the Secret Wars?

<ponders big screen adaptation of the Secret Wars>

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
I figured the last movie left it open for Harry Osborn to be the HobGoblin. I ain't that exstatic about that. Green Goblin was alright but, I want to see someone different.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
Yeah, that's the one. I l;oved it when I was younger, but you're right, looking back on it it was a little strange. Even for a show about a guy who walks on walls a chick who shoots flames out of her hands and a frozen guy.

Anyone else have the hots for Firestar?

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WaywardFan said:
Forgive any ignorance, but won't any storylines involving the suit or the various creature manifestations be dependent on coming up with some explanation to replace the Secret Wars?

<ponders big screen adaptation of the Secret Wars>
Secret Wars would be too cool. I'd pee my pants if I heard they were making that (but unless it's animated, it'll never happen). Same thing with DC's Crisis on Infinite Earths.

I'll bet they'd explain the suit (which later becomes Venom, for those not in the know) differently. I heard a rumor about a script submitted for Spider-Man 3 that John Jameson (j. Jonah's kid, the astronaut that almost married MJ) comes back from a space mission with the symbiote alien attatched to the ship. Spider-Man helps avert the ship from disaster somehow and comes into contact with it then. Like I said, though, just a rumor, and not a very plausible storyline if you ask me. Superman saves space shuttles, not spidey.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
Secret Wars would be too cool. I'd pee my pants if I heard they were making that (but unless it's animated, it'll never happen). Same thing with DC's Crisis on Infinite Earths.

I'll bet they'd explain the suit (which later becomes Venom, for those not in the know) differently. I heard a rumor about a script submitted for Spider-Man 3 that John Jameson (j. Jonah's kid, the astronaut that almost married MJ) comes back from a space mission with the symbiote alien attatched to the ship. Spider-Man helps avert the ship from disaster somehow and comes into contact with it then. Like I said, though, just a rumor, and not a very plausible storyline if you ask me. Superman saves space shuttles, not spidey.

Secret Wars would be great. It would have to be animated.

Recently, they updated the Avengers (there's a thread in the book forum) to a team which now includes Spider-Man, Wolverine, Captain America, Iron Man, and possibly Daredevil... making it too costly to ever make an Avengers film. :D

FWIW: John Jameson is also the Man-Wolf.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
I thought Iceman might, but he was always a little cool towards her.

Ugh!

I just remember the one episode where he tried to pull off having an "Iceman's Sense"

You know what might be a cool (but dark) sequel for Spidey? Cloak & Dagger.

Oh, does anyone know if the MTV Spider-Man is going to continue?

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
Secret Wars would be great. It would have to be animated.

Oh, come on. Why not think big. Let's have the Secret Wars done live action.

Piddle-inducing indeed.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WaywardFan said:
You know what might be a cool (but dark) sequel for Spidey? Cloak & Dagger.

Ah, with a Silvermane plot?

How about some Smythe Spider-slayers? :shrug:

Black Cat...Lizard...Owl...Puma...White Dragon...:shrug:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
Ah, with a Silvermane plot?

How about some Smythe Spider-slayers? :shrug:

Black Cat...Lizard...Owl...Puma...White Dragon...:shrug:
I would think the Lizard is a slam dunk for SM3. They already introduced Doc Connors.