Sources: Earl Clark gets promise from Suns

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
http://www.thehoopsreport.com/article.aspx?id=283

According to sources, Earl Clark has received a promise from the Phoenix Suns at No. 14 that they will take him if he's available.

Clark was already one of the favorites to be selected by the Phoenix Suns at No. 14, but now it's a virtual lock if he's still available. Clark pulled out of his scheduled Sunday workout with the Bulls, who hold the No. 16 pick, after working out for the Suns on Saturday. He said it was because he was injured, which may or may not be the case, but it's more likely not the case. There was no report of him injuring himself during the workout and he didn't talk about that to reporters after the workout.

Steve Kerr had nothing but positive things to say about Clark after the workout, discussing how verstaile he is and how well he moves for a 6-foot-10 player. The Suns clearly need a small forward, and they brought in Clark along with fellow small forwards Austin Daye and James Johnson on Saturday. Clark has been abusing Daye with his strength in most of the workouts the two have faced each other in. Johnson did not look good in his first workout in Phoenix, but was much better this time around. He is a possibility if Clark is off the board at No. 14, but Clark is the Suns' man right now.

Clark is likely done with his draft workouts. The top of his draft range wasn't much higher than No. 14, so getting a promise there is good enough for Clark.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
I'm cool with that pick. I just wonder if he'll still be there now. His stock has been rising a bit.

I also wouldn't mind James Johnson. And I'd be o.k. with Daye, but hope we take Johnson or Clark first.

OP
OP
YouJustGotSUNSD

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure our list consists of:

1. Brandon Jennings
  2. Earl Clark
  3. James Johnson
  4. Austin Daye

Not including whatever other Kerrve ball we might see like last year...

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
I sure as hell hope this happens. Give me a draft of Clark in the 1st (trade up if necessary) and find a way to get Gibson in the 2nd and I'll be happy. If we got, say, McClinton in the 2nd as well (as the other thread states) I'd be ecstatic....

Nash-Dragic
JRich-Barbosa-McClinton
(Hill)-Dudley-Clark
Stat-Gibson-Amundson
Shaq-Lopez

Barring any other moves, I'd be good going into the season with that....

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
BTW, we BETTER NOT get Kobe'd on Clark. If he is our guy, the Suns FO better go get him. He's my #1 pick and it's about time the Suns step up to get their guy if he really is it....

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good news if Clark is our guy at 14; Bad news that the Suns can't ever keep the wraps on who they want.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
I'm fine with the promise, but the FO better man up on this and not get undercut. If they gotta move up to #8 to get him, then do it somehow. Just get your guy....

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Im probably wrong on this, but wasn't Ike Diogu the last person the Suns made a promise to?

Ike's stock went through the roof after that....

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Not bad, i like Terrance Williams, but i think were good at SG w/ LB and JRich.

Clark would be a nice addition

the_future23

Registered
Reaction score
Best news I've heard. Dude reminds me a lot of Lamar Odom and if he can be a 3 in this league, this is very very good news. In the future, a line-up of

6'4 Dragic
SG uncertain
6'10 Clark
6'10 Amar'e
7'0 Lopez

That is a tall team.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm ok with Clark, or with Johnson, but I wonder if that promise is contingent on Jennings not being available or would the Suns pass on him? Personally, I'd rather take a front-court player than a guard, so I hope it's either Clark or Johnson.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I like Clark but I don't like making promises. What if someone unexpected slips, promises seem to be pointless.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
stupid to promise, SO STUPID. now if you want to trade up, its that much harder. this front office is the worst.

sunsfn

Reaction score
Im probably wrong on this, but wasn't Ike Diogu the last person the Suns made a promise to?

Ike's stock went through the roof after that....

They never made a promose to Diogu!

HooverDam

Reaction score
stupid to promise, SO STUPID. now if you want to trade up, its that much harder. this front office is the worst.

Are you kidding? This a rumor from a 'source' that the Suns made him a promise, who knows if they actually did. This time of year we'll be hearing about all sorts of rumored promises from lots of teams, they don't mean a whole lot.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you kidding? This a rumor from a 'source' that the Suns made him a promise, who knows if they actually did. This time of year we'll be hearing about all sorts of rumored promises from lots of teams, they don't mean a whole lot.

Unless the rumor is true. A lot of fans seem sold on Clark. Maybe the FO is as well.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Unless the rumor is true. A lot of fans seem sold on Clark. Maybe the FO is as well.

But its irrelevant if its true or not, other teams have no way of knowing if its true unless the Suns come out and say it or have a major leak.

scotsman13

Reaction score
i like clark but i dont believe that the front office made a promise to him. there is to much open in this draft to make a promise to a player in the middle of the first round. after about 5 players can be anywhere.

i will say this right now by the time that the suns pick there will be at least one players picked who someone is going to say "where the heck did that come from."

Reaction score
I like Clark but I don't like making promises. What if someone unexpected slips, promises seem to be pointless.

The article just quoted "sources". I agree the Suns have little to gain from revealing this promise (if they did). However, what if the leak came from Earl Clark's camp? He would have the most to gain.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But its irrelevant if its true or not, other teams have no way of knowing if its true unless the Suns come out and say it or have a major leak.

However, it is relevant to the Suns FO and the team if the Suns did indeed make a promise to Clark at #14 (which I don't think they did). If the Suns did make a promise to Clark, it would tie their hands if someone they liked better fell. Maybe it is just semantics. :)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It's not like the Suns have the monopoly on making promises to draft picks. This happens every year with most of the lottery teams, so I'm not sure what the big deal is, since this was reported by "sources". Might as well have come from Gambo's golf buddies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort