Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sound of Freedom

Release date: July 4, 2023
Studio: Angel Studios
Director: Alejandro Monteverde
MPAA Rating: PG-13 for thematic content involving sex trafficking, violence, language, sexual references, some drug references and smoking throughout
Screenwriters: Rod Barr, Alejandro Monteverde
Genre: Action | Biography | Drama

Starring: Jim Caviezel, Mira Sorvino, Bill Camp, José Zúñiga, Kurt Fuller, Eduardo Verástegui, Gerardo Taracena, Scott Haze, Alanna De La Rossa

Plot Summary: The incredible true story of a former government agent turned vigilante who embarks on a dangerous mission to rescue hundreds of children from sex traffickers.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NOPE! Crying during a trailer means I am not going to the theater! :)
I think we're going to see it tomorrow afternoon. Get out of the hot air and support a Jim Caviezel passion project? Yes, please.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Looks interesting, but the company is heavy Christian, so I'm not sure there's not going to be a significant amount of preaching in it.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks interesting, but the company is heavy Christian, so I'm not sure there's not going to be a significant amount of preaching in it.
Well, the last "Christian" film we saw was Jesus Revolution and that was really well done.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why the quotes?
Good point. Guess they aren't needed. The film wasn't always straight with the facts, but the true parts of the story they fleshed out were really well done. Kelsey Grammer was great in it.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s my problem with most of these films. They can’t help but manipulate the narrative or facts because the goal isn’t really to tell the story as much as it is to take advantage of a story.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We also saw (on streaming/Amazon Prime) On A Wing And A Prayer with Dennis Quaid. That one was okay. Another based on real life events. Felt much more like a made-for-TV-film. The thing that stuck out most was how diverse the cast was - other than Dennis Quaid's character's entire family. People of all races helped the family when they found themselves in the air without a pilot due to a heart attack. Then, since it was based on a real-life event, in the end credits they showed the real people involved next to the actor that portrayed them and the real-life people all happened to actually be white. Kind of an odd choice to do that, IMHO. Then it just felt like diversity for the sake of diversity.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s my problem with most of these films. They can’t help but manipulate the narrative or facts because the goal isn’t really to tell the story as much as it is to take advantage of a story.
I can sort of see that, but for years there has also been a movement to get more Christian films out there to tap into that audience. There are many Christians that are not moviegoers simply because of the content of many of the films out there. The makers of these films and these studios want to put out good family films and have great turnouts so that more Christian films can be made and released in theaters.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can sort of see that, but for years there has also been a movement to get more Christian films out there to tap into that audience. There are many Christians that are not moviegoers simply because of the content of many of the films out there. The makers of these films and these studios want to put out good family films and have great turnouts so that more Christian films can be made and released in theaters.
I get Christians wanting faith based stories. It just feels like most of the time they just can’t leave it alone. I don’t need them to manipulate the narrative to understand a character is impacted by his faith or draws strength from their faith. At that point it’s just preachy and I am out.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not preachy at all, IMHO. About 5 references to anything faith-based spread throughout the entire 2 hours and 15 minutes. It tells a very specific story and is about a very dark and serious subject - child sex trafficking. It can be depressing and a gut-punch at times. It had sexual situations, cussing, drinking, smoking, drug references, etc. so it never felt like a Christian film at all. There was a special in-credit message from Jim Caviezel, but even that was focused on child sex-trafficking awareness and was not religious in content.

The majority of the film is in subtitles which didn't bother us at all - because I've been seeing films with subtitles since Das Boot and my wife doesn't mind them, especially when the spoken language is Spanish.

It is very disquieting and as one reviewer said in his review - which I watched after seeing the film - "It's probably a one-watch film because of the subject matter, but you should at least see it once."

The makers of the film want people to see this and have provided free tickets in a pay-it-forward movement to ensure that people who might otherwise not be able to attend can go and see the film.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the review I referenced:

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Angel Studios first original release is coming out in December and they played a trailer for it before Sound of Freedom. It's called The Shift. Great cast and a cool sci-fi plot. It features one of my wife's favorite Hallmark actors - Kristoffer Polaha - as well as Neal McDonough, Sean Astin, Rose Reid, John Billingsley, and Emily Rose. I'll post an actual trailer for it once it is posted - currently they only have vlogs and some spec footage available.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
This seems interesting, but I'm honestly a bit put off that the trailer is closer to an infomercial and it seems like it could be ripe for emotional manipulation for an outside groups benefit

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It can be said for other movies as well. They try to deliver a message that sometimes falls flat.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Ugh, looks like the Q vibes that were coming off this are for good reason

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Angel Studios first original release is coming out in December and they played a trailer for it before Sound of Freedom. It's called The Shift. Great cast and a cool sci-fi plot. It features one of my wife's favorite Hallmark actors - Kristoffer Polaha - as well as Neal McDonough, Sean Astin, Rose Reid, John Billingsley, and Emily Rose. I'll post an actual trailer for it once it is posted - currently they only have vlogs and some spec footage available.
Posted the trailer for The Shift in its own thread. Looking forward to that film in December.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea my boys and I enjoyed it. It’s a heavy heavy topic. It’s heartbreaking but very well done and a rough topic to put on film. But they succeeded.

Last edited:

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Yeah.

In fairness, pretty much everything I've heard in this is that it's a pretty straightforward story, really doesn't have a ton of religious tones and virtually no preaching and doesn't go into the Qverse at all.

Just the infomercial nature of the trailer was a bit off putting. I really haven't given Caviezel a moment of thought since Passion. I had zero idea of his views, etc.

During this film promotion he's going on about adrenochrome, DNA and all sort of conspiracies. There is also a lot of "this is the movie they don't want you to see".

I may check it out when it hits streaming, but not really excited here

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Just the infomercial nature of the trailer was a bit off putting. I really haven't given Caviezel a moment of thought since Passion. I had zero idea of his views, etc.
Person of Interest

One of my favorite tv shows ever. When I heard about him being in the Passion of the Christ, I just could not picture him in that role from the character he played in Person of Interest.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard