Sonos

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got an arc with the sub. Figuring out what I want to do with my rears...
I ran SLs. I do hear the fives are even better but it seems unnecessary. Especially with the $700 price difference for two.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the rear channel, bring more effect than loud sound, the SL are plenty. I was just playing with the system and even on "full" surround vs ambient, the rears do not have huge sound coming from them.

I had dark side of the moon crankedx to 85% volume and it still sounded very clean

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I think the rear channel, bring more effect than loud sound, the SL are plenty. I was just playing with the system and even on "full" surround vs ambient, the rears do not have huge sound coming from them.

I had dark side of the moon crankedx to 85% volume and it still sounded very clean

Yeah, only the front sound stage (LCR) is supposed to have huge sound. The surrounds and heights are more for effect and filling in the sound.

@BigRedRage now that you have surround try the 5.1 version of Darkside. I've had a couple amazing experiences listening to it.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, only the front sound stage (LCR) is supposed to have huge sound. The surrounds and heights are more for effect and filling in the sound.

@BigRedRage now that you have surround try the 5.1 version of Darkside. I've had a couple amazing experiences listening to it.
That's what I had on to my knowledge through spotify

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5.1 on YouTube, at least through my Xbox seems to not work but I've tested a lot of Spotify and it sounds friggin great

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
That's what I had on to my knowledge through spotify
Ok, cool. I hadn't seen that spotify has it. I'll have to check that out. My copy is a little odd right now since I ripped the SACD but then 8 years ago I couldn't play it through my AppleTV so I made a movie that was a black screen with Dark Side as the audio track. I've been meaning to do a cleaner version of it so that I can have a visualizer or something playing too. If the streaming services are carrying it now then that makes it easier.

I've been wanting to get Yes's Fragile and a couple others in 5.1 too. So maybe they're up too.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, cool. I hadn't seen that spotify has it. I'll have to check that out. My copy is a little odd right now since I ripped the SACD but then 8 years ago I couldn't play it through my AppleTV so I made a movie that was a black screen with Dark Side as the audio track. I've been meaning to do a cleaner version of it so that I can have a visualizer or something playing too. If the streaming services are carrying it now then that makes it easier.

I've been wanting to get Yes's Fragile and a couple others in 5.1 too. So maybe they're up too.
Yeah Spotify is def playing 5.1. to add visuals, I play everything through the xbox so Spotify and YouTube can play at the same time. They I just hit the Spotify setting and turn off "game volume" on the slider. This will IE let you have trippy fractals, volcanoes, whatever on the TV with no sound while your music plays

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Yeah Spotify is def playing 5.1. to add visuals, I play everything through the xbox so Spotify and YouTube can play at the same time. They I just hit the Spotify setting and turn off "game volume" on the slider. This will IE let you have trippy fractals, volcanoes, whatever on the TV with no sound while your music plays

Yeah, that's what I do on my AppleTV. I put music playing through the Music app for my collection or use Pandora or Spotify for the audio. Then there's an awesome app called Electric Sheep that I use for visuals. It's an open source project that I know is around for Mac, Windows, Linux, ATV, and Android. I won't if they have an xbox build too. If they do I'd highly recommend trying it out.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I do on my AppleTV. I put music playing through the Music app for my collection or use Pandora or Spotify for the audio. Then there's an awesome app called Electric Sheep that I use for visuals. It's an open source project that I know is around for Mac, Windows, Linux, ATV, and Android. I won't if they have an xbox build too. If they do I'd highly recommend trying it out.
I've 100% watched electric sheep videos on youtube