So Who In The Hell Will Our Coach Be?

scXfreakX

Huh?
Reaction score
I want EJ. I just have a good feeling about him. Listening to him during the games, I feel he has a real good idea about the game and would be a good coach. Obviously he played in the league, and me saying he might be a good coach isn't worth much, but I have a good feeling about him as a coach. I also think that he is kinda low key as well, which was what Mike was like on the Suns.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
I want EJ. I just have a good feeling about him. Listening to him during the games, I feel he has a real good idea about the game and would be a good coach. Obviously he played in the league, and me saying he might be a good coach isn't worth much, but I have a good feeling about him as a coach. I also think that he is kinda low key as well, which was what Mike was like on the Suns.

I would feel better about a booth guy if they had a track record.

scXfreakX

Huh?
Reaction score
I wouldn't rule EJ out. Some guys I have a good feeling about, and at this point, he is the ONLY one that I have a good feeling about. Defensive guys are great for defensive teams, but you can't teach an old dog new tricks, and not many of the guys on our team are great defensive players. So, I don't think it makes sense to get Thiba-whatever his name is.(I can't spell it :p)

However, I think hiring a guy like EJ, who said that he would LIKE TO INTERVIEW FOR THE JOB, gives me the feeling he is interested and has confidence in his abilities. Plus, he's an offensive guy and I think he can maximize some of our team's strengths which is obviously offense. But of course we need to get some defensive strategy in there as well.

Just my take.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
I think the Suns team can pretty much play on their own offensively and dominate without much interference. However its the defense that we need help on. We have too many weapons on offense to fall back a lot just because of a coach. He isn't the one shooting the ball.

cly2tw

Reaction score
I want Tom. 10 out of 15 years that he has been coaching the team he was on was the top defensive team in the NBA. I doubt that is coincidence.

I second that thought. Watching how SAS and NO adjust their offense and defense on the go, I believe we really need a coach that thoroughly prepare the team for all kind of defensive variations as the foundation of the game plan. With Shaq/Amare/Diaw post plays and Nash with fresh legs from dribbling less for a whole season, plus a healthy Hill, our individual talents on offense should be as good as any team's in the league to bust through any series.

cly2tw

Reaction score
I think the Suns team can pretty much play on their own offensively and dominate without much interference. However its the defense that we need help on. We have too many weapons on offense to fall back a lot just because of a coach. He isn't the one shooting the ball.

Agree totally. I should have read to the end of the thread first before posting.:thumbup:

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
With a veteran team, you have to bring in a veteran coach. A rookie coach will struggle to get veteran players to listen and to buy into his philosophy, and when things don't go right, players will turn on him. Especially players used to winning 55-60 games a season. You need a coach that will command respect. When Westphal was fired, they brought back Cotton. You don't hand the reins of a veteran, playoff team over to a rookie coach. Not until the team start rebuilding, and that will not be for another two years.

And yet, reading all the articles, the most frequently mentioned names are:

• Vinnie Del Negro: no coaching experience at any level
  • Eddie Johnson: no coaching experience at any level
  • Steve Kerr: no coaching experience at any level
  • Dan Majerle: no coaching experience at any level
  • Tom Thibodeau: long time assistant coach in the NBA, but no head coaching experience

Some of these guys would probably make good assistant coaches, but none of them are qualified enough to take over a veteran team like the Suns. This will be Ainge all over again (we all know how well that worked out).

Also, not surprisingly, most of the names mentioned are people already on the Suns payroll. But with D'Antoni heading over to NY, the Suns are off the hook for his salary. Will that money that D'Antoni was due be used to hire a new head coach? If not, where will it go?

OP
OP
B

btimsah

My Name Is Robert!
Reaction score
I'm gonna go with Avery Johnson.. if we can get him..

Ollie

Croissant Eater
Reaction score
ESPN Daily Dime said:
Dallas assistant Mario Elie's name has already been floating around the league as one of the people the Suns have a particular interest in.

:eek::confused::doi::trout::bang: :barf:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although it is not applicable now, I think Raja Bell would make a good future head coach. He understands the natural flow from defense to offense and he is very much the competitor.

Elle may be from the same mold so I can understand the Suns interest.

Last edited:

OldDirtMcGirt

Reaction score
Although it is not applicable now, I think Raja Bell would make a good future head coach. He understands the natural flow from defense to offense and he a very much the competitor.

Elle may be from the same mold so I can understand the Suns interest.

Raja does seem like a future coach. Plays hard, is a good motivator, and like a lot of other coaches had a pretty unheralded playing career.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
EJ has nothing for my liking. I don't even know why his name is being mentioned. I don't think dirk was the reason avery left....I think other players may have had a problem with him and the performance wasn't up to par. I don't think kidd was a problem unless avery never wanted the trade in the first place which I would have no problem with. but the one thing avery kept saying was that he didn't have to micromanage kidd like he did harris. so I don't think avery would micromanage nash considering nash is a better PG overall and they have played together and avery has coached nash in the past.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EJ has nothing for my liking. I don't even know why his name is being mentioned. I don't think dirk was the reason avery left....I think other players may have had a problem with him and the performance wasn't up to par. I don't think kidd was a problem unless avery never wanted the trade in the first place which I would have no problem with. but the one thing avery kept saying was that he didn't have to micromanage kidd like he did harris. so I don't think avery would micromanage nash considering nash is a better PG overall and they have played together and avery has coached nash in the past.

I won't even get into the Avery coaching angle, but I think the Mavs made a terrible mistake getting rid of Harris, Diop and two first round picks for Kidd. IMO they made a greater reach than Phoenix in getting Shaq. Phoenix was undone earlier in the year when they moved KT, James Jones and two first round picks for nothing.

Actually, I take it all back. Phoenix moving KT, James Jones and two first round picks for nothing was a worse move. Now the Shaq trade... well it seems bad too. Let's just say the Mavs and Suns did more harm than good for their team. At least the Mavs only made one crazy move while the Suns made two, so I will sit quietly in the corner for awhile.

:D

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I won't even get into the Avery coaching angle, but I think the Mavs made a terrible mistake getting rid of Harris, Diop and two first round picks for Kidd. IMO they made a greater reach than Phoenix in getting Shaq. Phoenix was undone earlier in the year when they moved KT, James Jones and two first round picks for nothing.

Actually, I take it all back. Phoenix moving KT, James Jones and two first round picks for nothing was a worse move. Now the Shaq trade... well it seems bad too. Let's just say the Mavs and Suns did more harm than good for their team. At least the Mavs only made one crazy move while the Suns made two, so I will sit quietly in the corner for awhile.

:D
both teams made panic moves...when in reality both teams were better before the trades. and the coach's take the blame when in reality the GM and owners need to admit fault as well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
both teams made panic moves...when in reality both teams were better before the trades. and the coach's take the blame when in reality the GM and owners need to admit fault as well.

Most definitely. Actually the owners and GM deserve most of the blame. The chemistry on both teams were destroyed by their antics.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Most definitely. Actually the owners and GM deserve most of the blame. The chemistry on both teams were destroyed by their antics.
very true. but for some reason the coach failed? wonder why?

AnotherHOMER

Reaction score
Anybody think Lute Olson?

I have seen him at games. Maybe give him a shot.

(Just an idea..)

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn