Smart Thermostat in arizona

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by BigRedRage, Jun 24, 2019.

1. BigRedRage

BigRedRage Reckless Contributor

I am googling left and right after some comments from @Covert Rain about his smart thermostat but not having a ton of luck. Does anyone know some good links to information on how this works, especially and specifically for 2 story AZ homes?

I am curious of things like:
    1) If I add motion sensors to the bedrooms, it seems it would mostly ignore the bedrooms until you go in there and focus on cooling the rest of the house which could possible reduce my HVAC use. But then, lets say everyone is in bedrooms, is it now cranking overdrive trying to cool upstairs? It seems like it could save me money but could also cost me more based on what it is monitoring. Also, if you are sleeping and sleeping still, do the motion sensors not realize you are there after 30 minutes? What about if you just go in the room for 5 minutes and head back downstairs? It would just stop worrying about that room?

2) There are two teenagers in my house that work different schedules every day so it would not be able to "learn a schedule" and stop using AC when we arent home based on that, would the sensors be enough to do that?

3) honestly I am less interested in motion activation than I am in just getting the HVAC to work less often because it knows temperatures for the whole house instead of just where the thermostat is. At the same time, I imagine this could raise my cooling bill because now the house knows the upstairs is hot where right now it does not.

2. Covert Rain

Covert Rain Father smelt of elderberries!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  3. Covert Rain

#1 - It will ignore the bedrooms that are hotter until someone goes in there and triggers the sensor. If everyone is ONLY in the hottest rooms it will run until those rooms reach the average temperature of those sensors based on the Thermostat set temperature. For my situation that rarely happens so I don't have to worry about that scenario. In terms of sleep there is a specific comfort sleep profile you can setup. So for example if you are sleeping on your comfort profile setting Ecobee doesn't care about movement on the sensors. It will average whatever sensor temperatures you include in that profile to make those rooms comfortable. So for example if you have sensors for another hot room that nobody sleeps in you can exclude that one when you setup your sleep profile and it won't impact the running of your A/C. You can also just run it without taking any of the sensors into consideration when you sleep and go by Thermostat only. It's customizable.

#2 - there are multiple modes. You don't have to use the "Learn" feature. You can also set manual schedules and tell it when nobody will be home. In terms of the sensors they would be activated via motion if you wanted that. So you could keep your thermostat at say 78 degrees even though those two rooms normally say are 79 to 80. Unless someone goes in those rooms the A/C will work normally and those rooms will be hotter. If someone goes in those rooms it will stay on a bit longer until those rooms reach target temperature.

#3 - if you only have one A/C unit and the upstairs is hot it COULD raise your bill but only if you want the sensors always active. Again, you can tell it to ignore the sensors upstairs by creating a profile (schedule) that either uses motions sensors or ignores them all together for certain parts of the day.

Hope that helps.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  4. puckhead

puckhead Waxing Gibbous Contributor

That sounds really cool! :groan:

What happens if your home network goes down or if Internet service goes out?

5. BigRedRage

BigRedRage Reckless Contributor

thanks covert. Maybe if I do it I can make a guide for arizona people on the benefits and how I maximized them. I'm still torn on if it would really do much for me. My house is too populated for a lot of the features.

6. devilalum

devilalum Heavily Redacted

The self destruct feature deploys.

Duh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Covert Rain

It doesn't need the internet (except for the Weather functions and remote app functions). The Sensors and and Thermostat talk directly to each other.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Site Owner Administrator Staff Member

I use ecobee with several remote sensors. Those sensors dont need you to be in the room to average out the temp between all the rooms. It's been a great thermos.

9. Covert Rain

Yep. You can set them to "follow" you or just use them to even out the temps. It's a great option. I love the sensors.