Slightly OT: The Browns on MNF

RedRob

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The vast ineptitude of the Browns last night made me reflect on how far the Cardinals have progressed. I remember the days when we were lucky enough to get a MNF game (once every 3 years) and the description years ago of our team by the analysts was similar to the Browns...organization needs direction, they have to develop and stick to a plan, pick a QB and give him time to grow, find an identity, etc.

That was one of the worst displays of offensive football that I can ever remember, however the defense played well. That Rodgers guy is a STUD, terrible to hear his W/L record was something like 33 to 81!!!

Brighteyes

Super Bowl!
Reaction score
Worst game ever - I remember playing the Chiefs in Kansas City many moons ago. We were so awful that Vermeil actually took pity on us, and stopped scoring. He even talked about the injuries on our team.

Pity and excuses from your opponent -- ouch.

ANDY440

Registered
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Quinn could not throw inbounds on 2 hail mary passes, shockingly bad,far worse than anything I have ever seen here.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
The vast ineptitude of the Browns last night made me reflect on how far the Cardinals have progressed. I remember the days when we were lucky enough to get a MNF game (once every 3 years) and the description years ago of our team by the analysts was similar to the Browns...organization needs direction, they have to develop and stick to a plan, pick a QB and give him time to grow, find an identity, etc.

That was one of the worst displays of offensive football that I can ever remember, however the defense played well. That Rodgers guy is a STUD, terrible to hear his W/L record was something like 33 to 81!!!

Not really his fault. Remember he has played for the Lions and Browns. He is the perfect 3-4 NT. I would love to have him on this team. Give him an offseason with John Lott and he'll never be in better shape in his life. Largely, his production falls into obscurity because he has only played for the Browns and Lions.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I heard that the Browns have scored 5 offensive TDs in the last 15 games.

That is a stunning stat -- and I can think of no worse fate as a fan than to not just have a bad team, but a bad team that cant score.

As soon as the other team scores 10 points you know that the game is over.

The other thing I found interesting was that the Browns have invested a fair amount in their offensive line: Joe Thomas was a top 5 pick, Alex Mack as a high pick, Steinbach vet guard --- yet Brady Quinn often barely completed his drop before he had people in his face.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought we had one of the very worst teams I've ever seen in 2003. That team was last in points scored and points allowed that season. But, we were never THAT bad as what Cleveland is doing right now. Even that miserable year Boldin put up his huge rookie numbers and we beat Green Bay and minnesota at home, knocking the Vikings out of the playoffs on the McCown-poole miracle TD. The Browns fans have NOTHING to enjoy. Even their single win was as miserable as a victory can be.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Worst game ever

In the cobwebs of my mind, I seem to remember a Monday nighter back in the 70's that was against the Giants, maybe.

I think about 10 field goals were missed and we lost 9-6 in OT or something like that. The game went until after midnight & Cosell made the remark "welcome to Tuesday morning football"

ghastly/dreadful

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the cobwebs of my mind, I seem to remember a Monday nighter back in the 70's that was against the Giants, maybe.

I think about 10 field goals were missed and we lost 9-6 in OT or something like that. The game went until after midnight & Cosell made the remark "welcome to Tuesday morning football"

ghastly/dreadful

You mean the offenses were actually in position to attempt that many FGs? Sounds like a total barnburner compared to last night's game.

Osbern61

Insomniac
Reaction score

ghastly/dreadful

1983 and it ended in a tie, 20-20. I also remember that that night my friend told me he overheard my girlfriend saying she was going to dump me. And, 5 days later....

Last edited:
OP
OP
RedRob

RedRob

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Not really his fault. Remember he has played for the Lions and Browns. He is the perfect 3-4 NT. I would love to have him on this team. Give him an offseason with John Lott and he'll never be in better shape in his life. Largely, his production falls into obscurity because he has only played for the Browns and Lions.

That was my point, the guy is a beast, feel sorry for him having to play on those teams; would LOVE to see him in Cardinal red...Boldin for Rodgers anyone???

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Quinn could not throw inbounds on 2 hail mary passes, shockingly bad,far worse than anything I have ever seen here.

McCown used to chunk the ball way out of bounds like that on occasion.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
At one point the commentators tried to prop Quinn up (pretty sure it was Gruden) and talked about how he was a Warrior who played for Tyrone Willingham and Charlie Weiss. Really? Two of the worst coaches in ND history? Thats how bleak this browns team is... and then to lose their one bright spot of the season on a junk play. Just wow. Honestly, I don't think the Cards ever had it this bad.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1983 and it ended in a tie, 20-20. I also remember that that night my friend told me he overheard my girlfriend saying she was going to dump me. And, 5 days later....

Date and score were off by me. Maybe it is a memory my subconscience is trying to suppress.;) Come to think of it, maybe it was Dandy Don who made the comment about Tuesday morning also.

Story about g/f is funny

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
The OC never gave Quinn a chance. Every pass play called was a short pass out to the right or left in the flat or some type of screen pass. Did you see the half time graphic on where the Browns passes went. None in the middle of the field at any range. Absolutely horrid play calling. Their staff doesn't trust Quinn to throw the ball down field or even anywhere in the middle. I am no Quinn fan but good God man you have to let him try to make a play or two. After a while I don't think Baltimore even defended the middle because the Browns never threw here.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he was a Warrior who played for Tyrone Willingham and Charlie Weiss. Really?
Makes sense to me. If you come out of a program that's been horribly coached as a top QB prospect, it means YOU are doing something right. On the flip side, how many times have QBs come out of Spurrier's system and flopped because they were in a fantastic system but didn't have the chops for the NFL?

I feel bad for Quinn. He may never make it as a starter, but he's getting jobbed in Cleveland. Last year they at least had Winslow and Edwards (neither without their faults, but at least they're playmakers on occasion). Now Quinn is being asked to get a W by throwing 3 yard slants to Massaquoi? But, at least he can hand it off to a 105 year-old grinder of a running back. Good luck with that, kid.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave