Since I Promised My Round 1 Preferred Selection

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right now I'm kind of leaning towards cornerback Kyler Gordon out of Washington.

Can never have enough UW defensive backs.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Calvin Ridley makes sense because of his ability to separate as Kyler has not shown the ability to throw players open or anticipate breaks.

So if the Cards get an Edge or a CB in round 1 and are sitting there in round 2 would they call Atlanta and say our 2nd for Ridley? That's the reported price for him. He wants a new contract and he just sat out much of the season for mental health so there's risk but he's a really good WR and only 27.

It's amazing with all the WR's we've drafted recently that we are in this position.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
To be fair, I clearly said I wanted receiver, passrusher, or olinemen in no particular order.

I also think your post here completely misrepresents my point. My point is I don’t think it’s any more or less possible to get a top player at any position other than QB using trades or free agency. I don’t think the position matters much as I indicated naming top end players that were available via trade. So what’s the difference if we trade for hop or a Mack or a Trent Williams to get top talent at that position? I brought up golden to point out that you can get a mid-level passrusher via free agency the same way you can get a mid-level receiver (say an AJ Green) in free agency. They are equivalent players. If you want to prove otherwise let’s see some examples.
I apologize for misunderstanding the intent of your post. Are you saying you can’t get a top edge, like Jones, via trade?

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Calvin Ridley makes sense because of his ability to separate as Kyler has not shown the ability to throw players open or anticipate breaks.
Kyler shows that can make great throws as very few in the league with amazing touch
The problem happen when he does not trust his line and start to play totally confused
Obviously his height does not help seeing all receivers routes when he is in the pocket so he has to be more a scrambler thrower, like Mahomes
His stats dropped from great to slightly above average after Hopkins injury
If u think is fair working with one of the slowest receiving corps( questionable hands too) in the league and its all in Murray u are wrong
Im not blind i know he need a lot of work to do and being more professional, yes studying film is part of it so the recent interview was not a good look for him
I can understand if u don't like him, but i have the feeling yours is pure hating sometimes and this make u less objective

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I apologize for misunderstanding the intent of your post. Are you saying you can’t get a top edge, like Jones, via trade?
No. I’m saying it doesn’t matter the position, you can get any position other than QB via any mechanism (draft, trade, or fee agency). All the examples I provided show you can get any of those players via trade. I’ve also shown you can sign mid level players at every position in free agency.

You made the comment to the effect that drafting a receiver in the first round is silly bc you can get them elsewhere so we should take a passrusher in the draft. My point is you can get any position (again, other than QB) elsewhere so draft the most talent player of WR/passrusher/olineman.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Kyler shows that can make great throws as very few in the league with amazing touch
The problem happen when he does not trust his line and start to play totally confused
Obviously his height does not help seeing all receivers routes when he is in the pocket so he has to be more a scrambler thrower, like Mahomes
His stats dropped from great to slightly above average after Hopkins injury
If u think is fair working with one of the slowest receiving corps( questionable hands too) in the league and its all in Murray u are wrong
Im not blind i know he need a lot of work to do and being more professional, yes studying film is part of it so the recent interview was not a good look for him
I can understand if u don't like him, but i have the feeling yours is pure hating sometimes and this make u less objective
No one is saying it is all on Kyler. It isn't but QBs have the most influence and impact of any position on the NFL field. Kyler controls the offense. The fact that he has to see a player open prior to delivering a ball vs throwing a WR open is one major aspect that goes into catches being contested which results in more opportunities for the defense to make a play.

Reaction score
The biggest failure of the Keim era is probably his inability to have our cap dollars result in top end players. His drafting has been crap but the draft is hard.

Of our top 8 contract hits this year.
#2 - DJ Humphries
#5 - Justin Pugh
#6 - Jordan Phillips
#7 - Devon Kennard
#8 - Jordan Hicks

None of those players is anywhere close to being considered dominant.

Next year?
DJ - 19 mil
Pugh - 12 mil
Phillips - 13 mil
Kennard - 9 mil
Hicks - 9 mil
add Watt - 15.9 mil

Just crazy how many players we are paying large dollars and causing us to lose value while our conference is paying Aaron Donald, Cooper Kupp, Jalen Ramsey, Trent Williams, Nick Bosa, and George Kittle.

Where are they at compared to their peers? Are they paid at the top for their position? Middle? Bottom 3rd?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Where are they at compared to their peers? Are they paid at the top for their position? Middle? Bottom 3rd?
it is tough because most contracts fall into per year average.
DJ - 11th
Pugh - 9th
Phillips - 19th
Kennard - 40th (6.8 avg)
Hicks - 30th (4.5 avg)

The tough part is how Keim has structured these and then how he extended them out to lower cap hits.

I can't find where to see the rank in a given season. The 2022 contracts are all high if you take that given year vs the avg dollar of others.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I can't even imagine the Cards drafting a RB early in the draft. If they don't sign Conner, I will be really po-ed. Just can't fathom Cards letting him walk. I would feel like walking out the door with him, that's for sure.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
To be fair, I clearly said I wanted receiver, passrusher, or olinemen in no particular order.

I also think your post here completely misrepresents my point. My point is I don’t think it’s any more or less possible to get a top player at any position other than QB using trades or free agency. I don’t think the position matters much as I indicated naming top end players that were available via trade. So what’s the difference if we trade for hop or a Mack or a Trent Williams to get top talent at that position? I brought up golden to point out that you can get a mid-level passrusher via free agency the same way you can get a mid-level receiver (say an AJ Green) in free agency. They are equivalent players. If you want to prove otherwise let’s see some examples.
Okay I think I’ve got it now and we do disagree. Let’s take the edge position. You site Golden as an edge example. He’s a decent complimentary edge, but IMO he succeeded primarily because Jones is drawing all the double teams. If Golden were the primary rusher or one of two medium rushers I doubt he’d exceed 5 sacks. The WR position already has Hopkins locked in. He draws the double teams so the other WRs only typically face zone or single coverage. If the Cards don’t get a power edge I expect they will get eaten up in the passing game. I realize you said you could trade for this position and they did with Jones, but that circumstances is situational. As to the current situation I don’t know of any key rusher who is available for trade and if their was one it would likely cost the Cards their first since it’s so low. As to FA, most observers have Jones on top that list. Again the dollars would destroy the cap space. The draft is still the most cap friendly way to fill key slots.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Right now I'm kind of leaning towards cornerback Kyler Gordon out of Washington.

Can never have enough UW defensive backs.
I am not so sure about UW DBs myself. They produced multiple high DB picks during the Chris Petersen era, such as Sidney Jones, Kevin King, Byron Murphy, Budda Baker, Taylor Rapp, etc, but now of them panned out to be great except Budda (with his own limits).

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No one is saying it is all on Kyler. It isn't but QBs have the most influence and impact of any position on the NFL field. Kyler controls the offense. The fact that he has to see a player open prior to delivering a ball vs throwing a WR open is one major aspect that goes into catches being contested which results in more opportunities for the defense to make a play.

I think that's SOME of it, but some of it he doesn't trust Wr's as readily as other QB's do so he won't throw them the ball if they're not open because he doesn't trust them.

We've seen that with Isabella for example but with others. He clearly trusts Hop and Kirk and will throw to them even when not clearly open. The odd thing is he did that fairly regularly with Green downfield and AJ made some really nice catches on contested balls. The problem was AJ hung him out to dry on shorter balls several times.

one of the nice surprises for me was how quickly Kyler trusted Ertz

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Okay I think I’ve got it now and we do disagree. Let’s take the edge position. You site Golden as an edge example. He’s a decent complimentary edge, but IMO he succeeded primarily because Jones is drawing all the double teams. If Golden were the primary rusher or one of two medium rushers I doubt he’d exceed 5 sacks. The WR position already has Hopkins locked in. He draws the double teams so the other WRs only typically face zone or single coverage. If the Cards don’t get a power edge I expect they will get eaten up in the passing game. I realize you said you could trade for this position and they did with Jones, but that circumstances is situational. As to the current situation I don’t know of any key rusher who is available for trade and if their was one it would likely cost the Cards their first since it’s so low. As to FA, most observers have Jones on top that list. Again the dollars would destroy the cap space. The draft is still the most cap friendly way to fill key slots.
I think you’re still missing my point.

If you want a top player at a position - any position (other than QB) - they come available at likely similar frequency. It can be via trade or FA.

If you want a serviceable player at a position - any position (in this instance including QBs) - they are likely much more available and with similar frequency. Again via trade or FA.

Your comment made it sound like it’s easier to acquire a WR outside of the draft than other positions. I don’t think that’s true. Top receivers are typically only available via trade and those are still rare (hop and Cooper come to mind). Same with passrusher (Mack, chandler jones). Same with olinemen (Trent Williams). Mid level players are also similarly available across position type (Golden, AJ Green, Pugh).

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I am not so sure about UW DBs myself. They produced multiple high DB picks during the Chris Petersen era, such as Sidney Jones, Kevin King, Byron Murphy, Budda Baker, Taylor Rapp, etc, but now of them panned out to be great except Budda (with his own limits).

People said the same thing about Wisconsin RB's - then Johnathan Taylor happened. :)

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
People said the same thing about Wisconsin RB's - then Johnathan Taylor happened. :)
Exactly, the teams should evaluate the talent case by case. A RB should not be dropped from the board just because he was a badger, neither should a DB get drafted just because he went to Washington.

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK here are our picks as of today. 8 picks total:

1 - #23
2 - #55
3 - #87
4 - Baltimore has a #4 from Arizona (2021 draft trade)
5 - Philadelphia has a #5 from Arizona (TE Zach Ertz)
5 - #175 Comp Pick - P. Peterson
5 - #178 Comp Pick - H. Reddick
6 - #200
7 - #240
7 - #256 Comp Pick for A. Blackson

These might change but i doubt it.
Here are the different Scenarios that might happen for the Cardinals to get those Comp 5th rounders.

Possible Altering Scenarios​

• Arizona
    • If the contracts of both A.J. Green and Haason Reddick are valued in the 5th round, Arizona will get a 5th for Reddick instead of a 6th for Kenyan Drake.

• If the contracts of both A.J. Green and Haason Reddick are valued in the 6th round, Arizona will get a higher 5th for Patrick Peterson instead of a 6th for Kenyan Drake.

• If Haason Reddick’s contract is valued in the 5th round and A.J. Green’s contract in the 6th round, Arizona will get two 5ths for Patrick Peterson and Reddick instead of a 6th for Kenyan Drake and a 7th for Dan Arnold.
Link: https://overthecap.com/projecting-the-2022-compensatory-picks/

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA