"Significant announcement" @ 11a

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like the McD extension. I feel he has grown in the position. I have no opinion on Jones, I'm not sure what his responsibilities will really be. Not a big deal for me. Wait and see.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I didn't realize that the "significant announcement" included an extension for McDonough. I was going only by what people were talking about in this thread. If his extension and the Jones hire were part of the same press event, that makes more sense.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
So? You have been complaining a lot lately, Eric. How does this hiring hurt the Suns at all?

Yeah, quite the opposite. The Suns are getting praised for bringing Jones in almost everywhere I've read. It's great to have guys like Watson and Jones around. Guys that players respect. Of course money is usually everything, but I'm much happier with this than Blanks, Babby, Hunter...

chickenhead

Reaction score
Are you even saying this? Are you drunk or something? The McD extension is a significant announcement. Hiring Jones is a thing too. Good grief.

I guess the reaction is, if you want him gone you refuse to credit the announcement of his extension as significant? Seems to me an extension is actually quite significant to someone who want him gone...

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Not sure what the role of VP of Basketball Operations plays and if it's a non impact position then fine but wouldn't you want someone with experience in that role if it involves personnel decisions? James Jones is retiring to jump right into that position, just seems odd.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Suns are the Cardinals of the 80's. The last place laughing stock of the league, the team no one wants to be drafted by and no free agent will ever come.
I'd like to see the team win, but the way they're going the needle is pointed down.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The Suns are the Cardinals of the 80's. The last place laughing stock of the league, the team no one wants to be drafted by and no free agent will ever come.
I'd like to see the team win, but the way they're going the needle is pointed down.
Not true.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure what the role of VP of Basketball Operations plays and if it's a non impact position then fine but wouldn't you want someone with experience in that role if it involves personnel decisions? James Jones is retiring to jump right into that position, just seems odd.

The Suns have been interested in hiring Jones for some time and it doesn't hurt he is a close friend of Lebron.

Also the Suns have "mini Lebron" in Eric Bledsoe. :)

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Not true.

Yeah, for the life of me I don't understand how people come up with stuff like this. "Nobody wants to be in Phoenix" may have been true a few years ago, but it's simply not true today.

Having watched both teams since the early, I think it is true.

The Suns are easily one of the irrelevant teams in the NBA. Bad owner. Bad team. Fan apathy. I think McD is turning it around finally, but I have see that Sarver truly has to believe in this team.

chickenhead

Reaction score

I think they're different situations. The average fan of other teams considered the Cardinals a laughingstock at the time. This has never been my experience as a Suns fan living in other NBA cities. If anything the one thing the casual fan knows is that they're extremely young. Also, while I think Sarver deserved to get saddled with a cheap reputation after selling draft picks, think of how many picks the '80s Bidwills would have sold if they could have.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Having watched both teams since the early, I think it is true.

The Suns are easily one of the irrelevant teams in the NBA. Bad owner. Bad team. Fan apathy. I think McD is turning it around finally, but I have see that Sarver truly has to believe in this team.
One of the things he said is that nobody wants to be drafted by the team. Where is the proof of that? That is completely not true. And there is fan apathy on THIS board, but not across the board. Otherwise, they'd get nobody going to the games. The fact that we still post here goes against that as well.

Look, I get being down on the team. But enough is enough--they are on an upward trend. You either enjoy it, or stay on the sidelines until they are more relevant.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
One of the things he said is that nobody wants to be drafted by the team. Where is the proof of that? That is completely not true. And there is fan apathy on THIS board, but not across the board. Otherwise, they'd get nobody going to the games. The fact that we still post here goes against that as well.

Look, I get being down on the team. But enough is enough--they are on an upward trend. You either enjoy it, or stay on the sidelines until they are more relevant.
Recent situations would easily prove that players do still want to get drafted here. Booker got drafted and in his rookie year he stated that he wants to spend his entire career here. Then this draft of course was the whole Jackson cancelling his workout with Boston while they were on the flight to go see him. That screams that he wanted to be here more than in Boston IMO.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Don't forget about Blake Griffin putting Phoenix on the Mount Rushmore of free agent destinations.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't. I was wondering why. Sounds original.
I used to be PHXSPORTS4LIFE. It was a boring name. And it was a dead time of year (I think summer) and there were a LOT more fun people on the cards board. Still arguing, but a lot of FUN and FUNNY people. So made it a contest on the board and Ouchie garnered the most votes.

But that's not why it's a good story. Another poster thought that was a good idea. So he copied me and made it a contest too. He ended up with . . . Assface. The rest is history.