Sign and Trade for Gooden?

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1152866239318090.xml&coll=2

The Cavaliers settled their major off-season issue by signing LeBron James to an extension earlier this week. Now their focus is directed on signing restricted free agent Drew Gooden, but the negotiations are dragging.

The Cavs have not offered Gooden a contract. Gooden would like to sign a five- to six-year deal, but the organization may have something else in mind.

General Manager Danny Ferry said Thursday night there has not been any progress. Gooden's agent, Calvin Andrews, spoke with Cavs officials on Thursday and talks will resume today.

Gooden, meanwhile, would like to continue his career in Cleveland.

"I hope everything works out so I can stay in Cleveland," Gooden said. "LeBron was signed and that shows the organization's commitment to bringing a championship to Cleveland. I want to be a part of that. "

If the Cavs and Gooden don't come to an agreement, he could sign a one-year deal and become a free agent after next season or request a sign-and-trade. Rumblings of a sign-and-trade have begun - Phoenix, Chicago, Boston and Philadelphia are interested in Gooden, according to several league sources.

Until it comes to that, Andrews said he will follow the Cavs' lead throughout the negotiations.

"Drew wants to remain with the Cavs and we'll do our best to make that happen," Andrews said.

Intresting. Maybe a possible KT-like guy who can eventually replace him. Averages 10 PPG, 8 RPG. Only 25 Years old (Born in '81)

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Interesting...

Me really like these numbers 10 PPG, 8 RPG. Only 25 Years old...

asudevil83

Reaction score
let see, chicago i couldnt imagine what chicago is offering, and what would match up with Cleveland's needs. additionally, i dont see Chicago and Cleveland trading with one another because they are both contenders in the same conference.

Boston is probably offering a combination of one of their PG's and Ratliff for Gooden and possibly Jones

Philly is probably offering Dalambert and a draft pick.

the suns are probably offering Thomas and a draft pick.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
With all the S&T's going on and the rumors of Phoenix, this is the one I'd want to do. Screw Jeffries. If we can get Gooden at the same price, I'd definitely take him over Jeffries. Even if it took a $1 mil more.

BleedRed

Registered
Reaction score
I like Gooden too, and I don't think he's reached his full potential yet. He's athletic, young, can run the floor and is a decent rebounder. I think he could thrive with the Suns.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How much are you willing to pay Gooden? KT is making around 7 mil a year. Are you going to pay him that?

Seems to me that Gooden doesn't help any more (probably less) in the short term than KT. And he ties us up more than KT in the long term.

The key is what type of contract Gooden is willing to take. He would be our 8th or 9th man, after all.

HooverDam

Reaction score
I'd rather have KT, even at his age. Gooden seems pretty lazy and full of "potential" thats never reached. If D'Antoni can light a fire under his ass, he could thrive in the Suns system, but it is somewhat of a gamble.

scoutmasterdave

Board Certified Suns Fan
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:
How much are you willing to pay Gooden? KT is making around 7 mil a year. Are you going to pay him that?

Seems to me that Gooden doesn't help any more (probably less) in the short term than KT. And he ties us up more than KT in the long term.

The key is what type of contract Gooden is willing to take. He would be our 8th or 9th man, after all.
Gooden would be our 6th guy, maybe 7th:

Nash, Bell, Marion, Diaw, & Amare start, with Gooden, Barbosa, Jones off the bench.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
scoutmasterdave said:

Nash, Bell, Marion, Diaw, & Amare start, with Gooden, Barbosa, Jones off the bench.
So you're slotting Amare at the starting center?? Don't forget how much he loves playing center ;). And Diaw is too small to play there the whole season.

Gooden would be slotted at starting center. This would also, likely, spell the end of Barbosa as the money would be tied up in Gooden and Diaw.

Next summer KT will have one year left on his contract so someone will be happy to take him - if not by the tade deadline. If they keep all 3 draft picks expect marion to be traded as well. Hopefully, they'd package them to a team for a top 3-5 pick. Then Marion might be able to be to stick around.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
BillsCarnage said:
So you're slotting Amare at the starting center?? Don't forget how much he loves playing center ;). And Diaw is too small to play there the whole season.

Amare's dislike of playing center was from 3 years ago. 2 years ago, he was just fine with it--and there was no other way to do it, because Q easily was our 5th starter. Amare became the newfangled "point center" we've all talked about, and it looks like he may fit that role even more now.

Gooden would be slotted at starting center. This would also, likely, spell the end of Barbosa as the money would be tied up in Gooden and Diaw.
What, and have Diaw come off the bench? No way that will happen.

NastyOne

Suns 4 Life...Probably...Maybe
Reaction score
scoutmasterdave said:

If we got Gooden i'd start him and bring Diaw off the bench.

Diaw can play 4 positions, and he would still get his 30+mpg coming off the bench.

And people really underrate Gooden's rebounding.

The guy averaged 27mpg last season and still pulled down almost 9rpg, and in 2005 he played 30mpg and grabbed 9.2rpg.

Give Gooden 30+mpg and he will grab 10+rpg. And in our system that might even go up since we lead the league in possesions per game, and Gooden grabs 3 offensive boards per game.

So i could see Drew Gooden averaging 14ppg/11rpg in 32mpg, and he has the potential to average even more boards if we didnt have Marion and Amare also cleaning the glass.

Rebounding would actually become one of our biggest strengths.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Diaw would most likely be paid MORE than Gooden, and you want him to come off the bench? Yeah, right, not for a budding all-star like Diaw.

NastyOne

Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Diaw would most likely be paid MORE than Gooden, and you want him to come off the bench? Yeah, right, not for a budding all-star like Diaw.

Why does it matter how much he'll be paid?

Diaw can play 4 positions, Gooden is a PF/C.

It makes more sense to bring Diaw off the bench and backup multiple positions and still get his 30+mpg, than bringing Gooden off the bench.

All that matters is the lineup on the floor when the games on the line, and everyone knows Diaw will be in then.

NastyOne

Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Starting Diaw causes matchup problems from the start.

It also will probably make Diaw play more passive with Amare in the game.

I rather Diaw asserting himself on the floor with the second unit, and he'll still play with the starters in the 4th quarter in crunch time.

He'll still play 30+mpg.

This would just give us more balance throughout the lineup, and this way we avoid the drouts we usually had when Nash and other starters went to the bench.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
NastyOne said:
It also will probably make Diaw play more passive with Amare in the game.

I rather Diaw asserting himself on the floor with the second unit, and he'll still play with the starters in the 4th quarter in crunch time.

He'll still play 30+mpg.

I just don't think Diaw will be a bench player next year, with or without Gooden.

By your reasoning, Kurt Thomas will also start before Diaw, correct?

NastyOne

Reaction score
Chaplin said:
I just don't think Diaw will be a bench player next year, with or without Gooden.

No, Gooden gives us that option to bring Diaw off the bench, Thomas doesnt.

Kurt Thomas will get injured again if he plays more than 20mpg in our system.

Gooden can log 30+ per game easily, and he plays better with more minutes.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Amare's dislike of playing center was from 3 years ago. 2 years ago, he was just fine with it--and there was no other way to do it, because Q easily was our 5th starter. Amare became the newfangled "point center" we've all talked about, and it looks like he may fit that role even more now.

It was only last summer that Amare exercised his GM role and told the Suns to go get KT to play center. Not 2 or 3 years ago.

Chaplin said:
What, and have Diaw come off the bench? No way that will happen.

Why not, his contract will still be low so $$ won't need to be justification for him starting. The 07/08 Suns could have a front line of Diaw/Amare/Gooden.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Chaplin said:

If KT is here, yes. Diaw's extension won't kick in until 07/08 so your claims of Diaw getting paid more are incorrect for next season and unknown after that.

scoutmasterdave

Board Certified Suns Fan
Reaction score
BillsCarnage said:
Why not, his contract will still be low so $$ won't need to be justification for him starting.
You don't start someone or bring them off the bench because of their salary - that's ridiculous. You start them or not for purely basketball reasons.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
BillsCarnage said:
Why not, his contract will still be low so $$ won't need to be justification for him starting. The 07/08 Suns could have a front line of Diaw/Amare/Gooden.

That's not what I meant. I meant if Diaw is being paid more, doesn't that justify that the front office thinks enough of him to be a starter in the NBA?

asudevil83

Reaction score
remember, this is a coach who starts the best 5 players. he doesnt play a conventional lineup. this team is looking to score.

IMO, Diaw starts. Amare/Diaw/Marion/Bell/Nash.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
asudevil83 said:
remember, this is a coach who starts the best 5 players. he doesnt play a conventional lineup. this team is looking to score.

IMO, Diaw starts. Amare/Diaw/Marion/Bell/Nash.

Exactamundo.

NastyOne

Reaction score
BillsCarnage said:

This is what i see happening too

If we get Gooden, in 07/08 we can trade Marion and Diaw moves into the starting lineup with Amare and Gooden.

So for the guys saying we would lose Barbosa cause his money would go to Gooden, no, cause if Marion is moved to a team under the cap for draft picks and players on their rookie contracts, we would beable to afford Barbosa,Diaw and Gooden.

But for 06/07 Amare,Marion,Gooden and Diaw would be a unstoppable frontline.

Nash would average 15apg :D

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
scoutmasterdave said:
You don't start someone or bring them off the bench because of their salary - that's ridiculous. You start them or not for purely basketball reasons.
No you dont, but do you think Sarver is going to want to pay one player $7-8mil to sit on the bench?

Gooden is just a big softie when it comes to D, though.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave