Shaq to Cleveland talks starting up?

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
Anyone see those trade deadline talks starting up again now that Cleveland is out and the "Role players" around LeBron just let him down? Cleveland's got to be getting desperate to get some pieces to put around LeBron to keep him and I'm wondering if Shaq would be that piece.

Any chance Cleveland pulls the trigger on something like this:

Mo Williams, Ben Wallace for Shaq and Barbosa?

I'd even consider something like:

Shaq, Nash and Tucker for Mo, Wallace, Delonte West and Pavlovic

Any other possibilities with Cleveland?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Ilgauskas pulled his weight fine for the Cavaliers, so it doesn't make much sense for them to sell the farm for O'Neal. A more likely target is Richardson, to provide James with another powerful scoring threat.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Shaq for Williams and Wallace. Suns won't trade Shaq 'and' Nash, never gonna happen.

cly2tw

Reaction score
the trading deadline deal was Wally + Pavlovic + Hicks for Shaq, which would have saved about 35 mil for Suns while winning Cavs two titles, this and next years. They declined and nothing on Cavs now interests Suns enough to give up Shaq, the 3rd team All-NBA center.

greensborohill

Registered
Reaction score
The Cavs goofed by not trading Wally for SOMETHING at the deadline. . . . now they have no real trading pieces.

Shaq for Damp & Stack looks pretty good, if your scrooge of an owner is in cost cutting mode.

They instantly get a 2.447 million dollar savings on incoming contracts versus Shaq's outgoing.

They get another 5 mill in savings b/c Stack can be boughout for 2 million instead of 7 mill.

Plus, Damp will not come anywhere near the qualifiers need to trigger his option for the 2010 year. Thus making Damp a 2009/2010 expirer.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
The reason this failed the first time is the Suns' reluctance to take on Ben Wallace. I'd guess that doesn't change and if anything if the talks are/were renewed the Suns sit in a better position now that everybody knows Cleveland's hand and priority to keep James.

Which if course means the Suns will send their first and Shaq to the Cavs for Ben Wallace and a re-upped Joe Smith.

Sunshooter

Registered
Reaction score
Cavs will get mad if LeBron leave, so the Shaq's trade is sensible.

Shaq = Big Ben + #30

OldDirtMcGirt

Reaction score
Frankly, the Cavs really have nothing to offer, except for Mo Williams, and I doubt they trade him. The Dallas trade is even worse. New Orleans still makes the most sense in terms of trade destinations for Shaq.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Mo Williams is totally overrated, he is a product of Lebron James.

I'd take Wallace, Pavlovic, Hickson, #30 and their 2011 pick unprotected.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Frankly, the Cavs really have nothing to offer, except for Mo Williams, and I doubt they trade him. The Dallas trade is even worse. New Orleans still makes the most sense in terms of trade destinations for Shaq.

Exactly...GBH is living in a fantasy land as usual. Anything short of Josh Howard will be met with the sound of a dial tone.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Ilgauskas pulled his weight fine for the Cavaliers, so it doesn't make much sense for them to sell the farm for O'Neal. A more likely target is Richardson, to provide James with another powerful scoring threat.
The last few games of the ECF the Magic were playing Rashard Lewis on Big Z defensively for large stretches of the game. Safe to say Cleveland will be looking for some sort of interior offensive presence this offseason.

That being said, I agree they do not sell the farm for Shaq. Mo Williams is a undersized SG chucker, we already have one of those in Barbs so no need there. Kerr wanted JJ Hickson (NBA people LOVE this kid's potential) and an expiring at the deadline for Shaq. I'm guessing we might be able to get more than that but not much.

Last edited:

HooverDam

Reaction score
I think Shaq could actually play on the floor w/ Big Z, especially on the offensive end. Shaq in the low post, Z in the high post, shooting jumpers and spacing the floor. The problem would be on the defensive end where they're both rather plodding.

If the Suns do make a move shipping Shaq somewhere, it has to net us a 2010 1st round pick, we desperately need one if we're going to start rebuilding. The problem with Cleveland in that department would be that it would be a very late 1st rounder in all likelihood and I don't trust the Suns to find a gem at that point in the draft.

EDIT: Shaq for Wallace, Pavlovic & Hickson plus their 2010 1st rounder is probably the best deal we can reasonably hope for. Maybe one more pick thrown in there, like a 2nd rounder or their 2012 1st rounder, though that may be asking a lot.

Last edited:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Ask for Cleveland's 2012 1st as well, that pick should be pretty good.

I'm in the trade everybody bandwagon by the way. I'd also like to get some of Portland's talent this offseason somehow. There's gotta be a way to bring Bayless or Rudy and Batum here with Outlaw. Add those guys to Hickson, let them grow a year and with a bunch of cap space in 2010 we probably lure a big name guy.

Everyone discusses LeBron's impending 2010 free agency and his desire to get surrounded by a better supprting cast, there's a similar desire in Portland with Brandon Roy just without the hoopla. And Portland unlike Cleveland has a ton of assets.

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I think Shaq could actually play on the floor w/ Big Z, especially on the offensive end. Shaq in the low post, Z in the high post, shooting jumpers and spacing the floor. The problem would be on the defensive end where they're both rather plodding.

If the Suns do make a move shipping Shaq somewhere, it has to net us a 2010 1st round pick, we desperately need one if we're going to start rebuilding. The problem with Cleveland in that department would be that it would be a very late 1st rounder in all likelihood and I don't trust the Suns to find a gem at that point in the draft.

EDIT: Shaq for Wallace, Pavlovic & Hickson plus their 2010 1st rounder is probably the best deal we can reasonably hope for. Maybe one more pick thrown in there, like a 2nd rounder or their 2012 1st rounder, though that may be asking a lot.

Would Cleveland seriously make a play for a slow, no-defense and fading offense, 37 year old center? Why???

I'm not sold on that at all... Cleveland won 66 games this season. They couldn't however beat the Magic. Why? Howard... Superman kills the Cavs. The Cavs need an answer for Howard and I just don't see Shaq being the answer...

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Shaq's offense isn't fading. His pick and roll defense is horrendous but Cleveland needs him to body up the big guys in the paint in the East with Howard and Kendrick Perkins being the two biggest examples. Not to mention Danny Ferry probably realizes that Shaq is in a contract year playing for a contender so he'd probably get the maximum effort (or the most effort off the court as Shaq has ever been willing to do) out of the big guy.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Would Cleveland seriously make a play for a slow, no-defense and fading offense, 37 year old center? Why???

I'm not sold on that at all... Cleveland won 66 games this season. They couldn't however beat the Magic. Why? Howard... Superman kills the Cavs. The Cavs need an answer for Howard and I just don't see Shaq being the answer...

The Cavs need an answer to Howard, but Shaq isn't it? There aren't 7 foot centers who aren't total stiffs just growing on trees ya know. Shaqs pick and roll defense is bad, but he can still man up Howard and is still a top 5 or so center in the league (which tells you how lousy the position currently is). What other available Center would match up better against Howard?

Shaq gives Cleveland a guy who can score on is own just be LeBron tossing it to him in the post. You don't need a PG to create much for him, and like Mao said, he's in a contract year so he'll be working his butt off. Plus Shaq wants a ring for the thumb.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Shaq's offense isn't fading. His pick and roll defense is horrendous but Cleveland needs him to body up the big guys in the paint in the East with Howard and Kendrick Perkins being the two biggest examples. Not to mention Danny Ferry probably realizes that Shaq is in a contract year playing for a contender so he'd probably get the maximum effort (or the most effort off the court as Shaq has ever been willing to do) out of the big guy.

I disagree... Shaq hasn't avg'd close to 20 points a game since '05 - though he did have a better year this past season than he's had over the last 3-4 years...
And, Howard can and would run circles around Shaq. Howard is way too quick, way too athletic for Shaq. Shaq would foul out before halftime...

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
The Cavs need an answer to Howard, but Shaq isn't it? There aren't 7 foot centers who aren't total stiffs just growing on trees ya know. Shaqs pick and roll defense is bad, but he can still man up Howard and is still a top 5 or so center in the league (which tells you how lousy the position currently is). What other available Center would match up better against Howard?

Shaq gives Cleveland a guy who can score on is own just be LeBron tossing it to him in the post. You don't need a PG to create much for him, and like Mao said, he's in a contract year so he'll be working his butt off. Plus Shaq wants a ring for the thumb.

Good point...

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The last few games of the ECF the Magic were playing Rashard Lewis on Big Z defensively for large stretches of the game.

I'll admit I didn't watch the games, but I read that the Cavs had Ilgauskas operating far from the basket in order to leave more room in the paint for James. If Ilgauskas was mainly a perimeter player, it made sense to have Lewis guard him instead of Howard.

Last edited:

HooverDam

Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/news/story?id=4218786

Ben Wallace may be retiring, so Im not sure if that may screw up these Suns trade ideas or not. I suppose the trade could still happen and he could retire, its not like the Suns would be really counting on him for much more than a salary matching number, he's declined a ton recently. On the other hand maybe to some degree he can mask Amares defensive liabilities, but I doubt it.

cly2tw

Reaction score
The last few games of the ECF the Magic were playing Rashard Lewis on Big Z defensively for large stretches of the game. Safe to say Cleveland will be looking for some sort of interior offensive presence this offseason.

That being said, I agree they do not sell the farm for Shaq. Mo Williams is a undersized SG chucker, we already have one of those in Barbs so no need there. Kerr wanted JJ Hickson (NBA people LOVE this kid's potential) and an expiring at the deadline for Shaq. I'm guessing we might be able to get more than that but not much.

that's a sensible assessment. Cavs are stuck with what they have and the only thing they could do is probably Ben for Carter.