Sexson to cost draftpicks

CatBoxBackFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
az central

The Diamondbacks must decide today to which of their 11 free agents to offer salary-arbitration rights, but the only player likely is first baseman Richie Sexson.

Sexson is expected to sign elsewhere, but by offering him arbitration the Diamondbacks would receive two high draft picks, including the first-round pick held by the team that signs Sexson to a deal.

Beginning Wednesday, teams won't forfeit draft picks when a player they chose not to offer arbitration signs with another club.

Arizona was considering offering arbitration to right fielder Danny Bautista, and still may decide to do so today. But if Bautista accepts the offer, it would hurt the club's aggressive pursuit of free agent David Dellucci, who could agree to a two-year deal as early as Wednesday.

Philadelphia and Florida have also offered the Texas Rangers' outfielder a two-year deal. Other teams interested in Dellucci include Colorado, Los Angeles and Texas.

Bautista could be close to a multiyear deal with Tampa Bay or Florida.

The Diamondbacks aren't expected to offer arbitration to free-agent pitchers Matt Mantei, Shane Reynolds, Steve Sparks, Mike Fetters, Jeff Fassero or Scott Service, nor are they likely to offer it to position players Carlos Baerga, Greg Colbrunn and Quinton McCracken.

A few of those players, namely McCracken and possibly Colbrunn, could end up back with the organization. Arizona could be willing to offer them minor league deals with an invitation to camp and a chance to win a spot on the 40-man roster.

The Diamondbacks plan to have a face-to-face meeting this week with free-agent shortstop Royce Clayton and his agent, Rick Licht. Arizona would forfeit a second-round pick to the Rockies, Clayton's former team - if Colorado offers him arbitration, he declines and then signs here.

Players have until Dec. 19 to decide to accept arbitration. If a player declines and by Jan. 8 still hasn't re-signed with his old team, that club loses its ability to negotiate and sign the player until May 1.

Arizona also has offers on the table for free-agent pitcher Russ Ortiz of the Atlanta Braves and free-agent third baseman Troy Glaus of the Anaheim Angels.

Randy rumors

Alan Nero, one of the agents for pitcher Randy Johnson, said Monday that he didn't know of any movement on the Diamondbacks' part to deal the five-time Cy Young Award winner, adding he hasn't heard from club officials in recent days.

The Yankees reportedly ended trade talks last week with the Diamondbacks - at least for the time being - after Arizona was alleged to have asked for multiple players and cash for the left-hander.

The Diamondbacks were said to have requested pitchers Javier Vazquez and Tom Gordon, pitching prospect Brad Halsey, $18 million in cash, and at least one pitcher from another team that the Yankees could acquire and then flip to Arizona.

Anaheim, St. Louis and Boston are also said to be interested in acquiring Johnson, 41, who has one year remaining on his contract at $16 million - $6 million of which is deferred for five years.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Good move, but every time I see Sexson I will get sick. The D-Backs got burned on this guy. He received $8.6 million for his 23 games last season -- and he cost the D-Backs 6 players.

Last edited:

DbaxJ

I was lost but now I'm found
Reaction score
Scott MS said:
Good move, but every time I see Sexson I will get sick. The D-Backs got burned on this guys. He received $8.6 million for his 23 games last season.
He may have gotten the 8.6 million, but the DBacks didnt have to pay it.... they carry insurance on their players just for this reason and the insurance covered 130+ games in which he missed....

Kolo

Reaction score
I was just writing a post about how if Sexson leaves and we get a 1st and a sandwich pick--considering how well we seem to have drafted lately-- the trade wouldn't look so bad. But halfway through my post, I realized it was completely irrational. The trade sucked in every respect, and always will.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Hugh Jass said:
I was just writing a post about how if Sexson leaves and we get a 1st and a sandwich pick--considering how well we seem to have drafted lately-- the trade wouldn't look so bad. But halfway through my post, I realized it was completely irrational. The trade sucked in every respect, and always will.
Are you forgetting how desperately we needed a legitimate power hitter behind Gonzo at the time?

If Sexson (who played every inning of every game with the Brewers the season before) had not gotten injured, I don't think anyone would have been dissing the trade.

At the time, it was the best thing to do. A freak injury (rather than an ongoing condition) is not reason to regret it now.

I supported the decision then. I'm not going to feel otherwise now.

But I wish Major League training included -- don't try to reverse your swing half-way through. It's just not worth it.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BC867 said:
Are you forgetting how desperately we needed a legitimate power hitter behind Gonzo at the time?

If Sexson (who played every inning of every game with the Brewers the season before) had not gotten injured, I don't think anyone would have been dissing the trade.

At the time, it was the best thing to do. A freak injury (rather than an ongoing condition) is not reason to regret it now.

I supported the decision then. I'm not going to feel otherwise now.

But I wish Major League training included -- don't try to reverse your swing half-way through. It's just not worth it.

And with our recent drafts getting 2 high draft picks for that bunch of scrubs isnt too bad anyways.

Djaughe

Reaction score
Dumb question folks...but would other teams looking at sexson back off in trying to sign him because they would have to give up draft picks as compensation?

Djaughe

Reaction score
For example seattle can be considered to be an old team that really can't afford to give up draft picks.

Wouldn't the draft pick compensation hurt Sexson's market price and hurt the Mariners by driving up the overall cost of the deal?

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt it. All Arizona cares about now is that somebody signs him (and somebody definately will) and we get our picks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn