Sergio Rodriguez

Nash

Reaction score
I read this article about Sergio on truehoop. It pisses me off that we let him slip.

from truehoop

http://www.portlandtribune.com/sports/story.php?story_id=116890276832190500
Consider what Kerry Eggers writes:
In the second quarter, the 20-year-old Spanish point guard was the best player on the floor, collecting 13 points on 6-of-8 shooting to go with six assists. The brilliant 12-minute burst turned a 12-point deficit into a seven-point halftime lead. Throughout the game, the 6-3, 170-pound Rodriguez created open shots for himself and teammates. He hit 11 of 14 from the field and collected four rebounds and three steals in an All-Star-like 30-minute performance that was duly noted by the opposition.
“He played great,” said Denver superstar Allen Iverson, who scored a game-high 32 points. “If you can judge him off of tonight’s game, I mean, wow. It’s a long, grueling season, but if he stays with it, the sky’s the limit for him. This one will do a lot for his confidence. It’s a game that can make him feel good about himself and know that he can play and be successful in this league.”
George Karl knew very little about Rodriguez going into the game. The Denver coach knows more now.
“He was a dominating player,” Karl says. “He controlled their offense and our defense in the second quarter. He looks like he’s going to be a player.
“We wanted him to go to the rim more than shoot a jump shot, but he’s clever. He finds guys open. A big part of NBA basketball is the pick-and-roll, and he seems to have a knack for it already, which for a young player is unusual.”
Ex-Blazer Steve Blake was busy having the biggest night of his career, going for a career-high 25 points against his old team in a first start for his new club. But he also took notice of the guy wearing No. 11 for the home team.
“I was impressed with his court vision,” Blake said. “He obviously understands the game, and he was knocking down shots, which made it easier for him to find open teammates. If he can consistently do that, he’ll be a very good player in this league.”
I just watched every Rodriguez offensive possession (make, miss, or assist) on Synergy Sports. What it made clear is that if you want to run an up tempo, Phoenix-style offense, Rodriguez can be your point guard. Eggers points out that Rodriguez already trails only Steve Nash league-wide in assists per minute. And like Nash, in the half-court Sergio Rodriguez can feast on the pick and roll. (In this game he was running it with Jamaal "why get me open?" Magloire and Raef "I used to like to shoot" LaFrentz. I wonder why they don't have him pick and roll with LaMarcus Aldridge or Zach Randolph once in a while? He can get them 15-footers all night, and they can hit them.)
Of course, Zach Randolph is about the last player you'd want to use on your fast-breaking team, and it's telling that he had by far his worst game of the season with Rodriguez running the show for the injured Jarrett Jack.
Nate McMillan wants Rodriguez to play better defense to earn minutes, which is fair enough. You can treat rookies like that. But soon enough, like, say, a year from now, Sergio Rodriguez and LaMarcus Aldridge are going to have to be out there, learning from their flaws.
But when it is Sergio Rodriguez's time to get some burn with the regulars, I'm certain that shooters like Martell Webster and Juan Dixon will blossom (much like Raja Bell, Quentin Richardson, Leandro Barbosa etc.) as will mobile big men like Alrdridge.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:bang:

I know that there were a lot of us pimping Rodriguez before the draft, including yours truly.

I still to this day not think of a better match for a backup PG to learn under Nash.

:bang:

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
Yeah but money was saved and guys like Eric Piatkowski, Sean Marks, and Marcus Banks were all signed and have had much more impact on this squad then a low cost draft pick would've.

And the Suns were put into a better financial position for the upcoming future when extensions of Barbosa and Diaw kick in.

Plus now that Nash's minutes have been lowered to an acceptable level he'll be much more rested when the POs arrive.

:rolleyes:

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think D'Antoni has some issues with young guards that he's not willing intimate in public. I think he probably looked at Sergio and saw all of his weaknesses (his size) and little of his potential.

Ironically, that's what caused Steve Nash to drop to us at #15.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I think D'Antoni has some issues with young guards that he's not willing intimate in public. I think he probably looked at Sergio and saw all of his weaknesses (his size) and little of his potential.
I think D'Antoni has a problem with young players in general, in that he's not willing to give them any minutes to develop even if it means going through some struggles. Just an observation of course, I've never read or heard anything to back that up. At some point though if he hopes to coach the Suns for a long time he's going to need to play young players. Remember how quick he used to take out Barbosa a couple years ago?

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
I think the book is still out on Mike D'Antoni the GM. He really hasn't made a decent move yet.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
That was my guy, too. :shrug:

IIRC, the Suns told Sergio they wanted him to stay in Spain for another year. When he said "no"...

MastersofCombat

Basketball Junkie
Reaction score
First off a low first rounder is only about a million a year..... So that is about what we paid for Pia. That wouldve been a no brainer....

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
One curious note is how McMillan maintains Sergio's doghouse status despite good performance. He had Dickau (whom I wouldn't mind the Suns trading a second rounder for once Jack is healthy:)) starting.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think the Suns scouting team has not done well last year. Not sure they would have drafted Rodriguez had they kept the pick. The players they liked haven't really done much this season (or gotten the chance to). Rodriguez had been impressive in limited minutes with Portland, but I guess the Suns thought they'd rather have a more experienced player in that role, so they got Banks instead. That wasn't as bad as trading away Deng. Hopefully they will make up for it this year.

Errntknght

Reaction score
The Suns scouting team hasn't done well for a long time. Probably most the blame falls on the 'brain trust' because they throw away picks like used gum wrappers - and every time they do its a vote of no confidence in the scouting team. If we feel frustrated about what the Suns do with their draft picks, imagine how the scouts feel - and they don't even get to piss and moan about it like we do. (At least, not where the brass might get a sniff of it.)

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Ironically, that's what caused Steve Nash to drop to us at #15.

They liked Rodriguez and wanted to draft him, but did not think he would make a contribution this year. They did not think any rookie drafted at that point would. They asked him to remain in Spain another year and they would draft him. He refused.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I think the Suns scouting team has not done well last year. Not sure they would have drafted Rodriguez had they kept the pick. The players they liked haven't really done much this season (or gotten the chance to). Rodriguez had been impressive in limited minutes with Portland, but I guess the Suns thought they'd rather have a more experienced player in that role, so they got Banks instead. That wasn't as bad as trading away Deng. Hopefully they will make up for it this year.

You mean trading away Andre Iguodala. :(

Or this season Marcus Williams and Sergio Rodriguez, even Farmar, Lowry or Rondo.

In 2005 we passed on Johan Petro, Luther Head, Jarrett Jack, Francisco Garcia, Jason Maxiell, David Lee, Monta Ellis, Mickael Gelabale, Andray Blatche, Ryan Gomes all pretty decent players some with star potential (Ellis).

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
You mean trading away Andre Iguodala. :(

Or this season Marcus Williams and Sergio Rodriguez, even Farmar, Lowry or Rondo.

In 2005 we passed on Johan Petro, Luther Head, Jarrett Jack, Francisco Garcia, Jason Maxiell, David Lee, Monta Ellis, Mickael Gelabale, Andray Blatche, Ryan Gomes all pretty decent players some with star potential (Ellis).
All of that is heindsight, but yes your right...

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What's really impressive is Sergio's been able to get 7-10 assists in limited minutes in a couple of games ON THE BLAZERS. Tom Chambers said that the Blazers are Zach Randloph and a bunch of CBA players. Sergio was hitting his shots last night too and was a real spark for them off the bench, but he really doesn't fit in well with that Blazer team at all. He wants to run and his coach is making him slow the game down on every possession and he has to get a play to run from the coach before every possession. Sergio is an improvisor like Nash and he would really thrive on our team, whereas Banks would do much better in Portland. We really need to find a way to get him back and getting rid of Banks would be a bonus.

There really aren't any decent trade scenarios with Portland to make that happen though because Banks makes so much money. There are trades that work, but I don't think Portland would do any of them.

Suns trade Marcus Banks, 1 of Burke/Jumaine/Marks, own 1st rd pick, own 2nd rd pick
Suns receive Sergio Rodriguez, Martell Webster (doubt they'd give up Webster, but the only other matching salaries are Roy & Dickau and I don't see them giving up 2 pgs in 1 trade)

Trade that I wouldn't want to see happen:
Suns Trade: Banks, KT
Suns Receive: Rodriguez, Magloire

Last edited:

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
Wow, after watching the Nuggets video, Sergio looks exactly like Nash.

As much as I'd love to see him backing up Nash, it's not going to happen. Though McMillan is not seeing Sergio's potential.

Do I fault the Suns for trading him? No. There weren't any indications Banks was going to do this bad. And honestly, I'd probably have made the same decision. A solid veteran PG, coming off a nice year over an unproven rookie...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard