Season Ending Thoughts

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
We'll probably go to the NIT, but even if we do the season is effectively over because that Tournament is largely a drain on finances and energy. And if certain members of the team won't show up for the Pac-10 Tournament there's no way they show up for the NIT so a one and done is most likely there so...

- The game vs. UCLA today was what I predicted: a pillow fight. Both teams are not good and even with Arizona not showing up they were in it for most of the game. Reeves Nelson and Tyler Honeycutt are studs though, UCLA will be back really quick as long as this incoming class is as advertised.

- Sucks that Nic Wise had to go out like this because the streak ending does not fall on him but those above him. He's got his limitations as a player but got a completely raw deal at Arizona and stuck through for all four years. He got to beat the coach who tried to ruin his career on his Senior Day and he'll never have to buy a drink in Tucson for the rest of his life. Thanks Nic, I hope that's enough.

- The streak is over, last time Arizona was not in the NCAA Tournament was 1984. What were you doing then? I was barely 3 years old. Quite remarkable but as we all know all good things must come to an end, glad it happened at an age that I can look back at it with fond memories instead of being bitterly disappointed.

- As to why the streak is over. The three biggest reasons are Lute Olson, Jim Livengood, and Kevin O'Neill. Lute for trying to come back in 2008 when he clearly had no chance. KO for creating an environment that turned many UA die-hards away from the program. And finally Jim Livengood for allowing all of the above to happen. If Lute steps down permanently after his first LOA then our coach is Mike Montgomery and the streak continues to this day. If KO becomes a sane person and treats his position with respect then things continue as planned. Oh well, considering all the screwed up things that went down if this is rock bottom I guess I should be grateful.

- From a personnel perspective, the streak is over also due to the 2007-2008 classes that were recruited under the cloud of uncertainty. The only guys on the roster left from the classes were Jamelle Horne, Brendon Lavender, Alex Jacobsen, Kyle Fogg, and DJ Shumpert. That can't make up your sophomore and junior classes if you want to be successful.

- Today was just another notch in Jamelle Horne's belt of incompetence. I normally don't like bashing college kids but since he's probably leaving anyways I'll say it - he's the most disheartening moron I have ever seen in that jersey. UA Basketball has had their share of freak athletes with low basketball IQ's (Hassan Adams, Will Bynum, Fendi Onobun come to mind) but at least those guys tried hard most of the time. Jamelle shows up every sixth or seventh game. Some say that he's permanently shell-shocked after a year under KO's wrath but he's been given chances to grow up and Jamelle never did.

- The heart of this team is the freshmen, starting with Momo and Williams. Next year's Tournament team will be built around those two guys. And the season following when they are a top 15 team will be based around them as well with Parrom filling the garbageman role and Solo being the catalyst running the offense.

- Let the purge begin! The aforementioned Jamelle Horne and DJ Shumpert will inevitably be gone opening up two more scholarships, plus there will be more. One of Lavender (great kid who works his butt off, but probably not good enough) or Fogg will also likely choose to transfer. I heard AJac's not going anywhere but you never know. Miller will go for a five man class I'd be willing to bet. For the sake of reference, Herb Sendek's second team at ASU only featured two players that played under Rob Evans. I'd expect a similar number for sean Miller's second team and Pennell/Lute guys.

Should be an interesting offseason and feathers will be ruffled, but as long as Miller keeps recruiting his tail off Arizona will be fine. Talent solves all problems and Miller historically has gotten plenty of it. Here's to a new Streak starting in 2011.

Bear Down!

Last edited:

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
:thumbup:

Good stuff. Thanks for all the info over the course of the season and lets hope we end up with either Lamb or McCallum. Next season should be a good one.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
- The streak is over, last time Arizona was not in the NCAA Tournament was 1984. What were you doing then? I was barely 3 years old. Quite remarkable but as we all know all good things must come to an end, glad it happened at an age that I can look back at it with fond memories instead of being bitterly disappointed.

I was living in Glendale.. Back then not every game was shown on cable, if you were lucky enuff to have cable.. We didnt have cable so I could only watch what was shown to me.. It was about this time I started watching college basketball because I saw UofA on an old ghetto tv. I saw Arizona on the jersey and the rest is history.. I was about 8 years old..

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn