Seahawks at Cardinals gameday thread 1-9-2022

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you ask your ILB to cover the slot WR...?

He's NOT covering the slot WR he's covering the TE, who lined up next to the RT and Simmons bailed out he wasn't even looking when Wilson hands the ball off he guess pass play. The TE isn't even across the LOS and Penny already has teh ball. He didn't even see the fake by Wilson because he stopped looking and turned and ran after the TE, on a run play, creating a MASSIVE hole that led to a 62 yard TD to ice the game.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I've been saying ot since he was drafted, and everyone tries to argue with me. DJ Humphries is a complete joke. He is the most overpaid LT in the league, and he should not have been extended. Beacham is better than him.

Also, our defense gave up at least 10 plays of 20+ yards. Seattle is crap this year, and they made us look horrible.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It is a RUN Play, he literally turns and runs to the WR when Penny already has teh ball. That entire TD is his fault he created the hole Penny ran through

He's not a CB he doesn't have to assume pass he has to actually watch the ball but instead he turns and runs to the WR , who isn't even running a route, and created a 62 yard TD run to ice the game
How do you think an ILB can cover a slot WR from inside and honor the run first? How is that even possible? HE can't. Maybe he lined up inside incorrectly, but outside of the that, there is no way he can cover that WR if he doesn't bail right away.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you think an ILB can cover a slot WR from inside and honor the run first? How is that even possible? HE can't. Maybe he lined up inside incorrectly, but outside of the that, there is no way he can cover that WR if he doesn't bail right away.

Again look at the still pic I posted he is NOT covering the slot WR he's covering the TE, who is still behind the LOS after the ball has been handed off and Penny is steaming through the giant hole Simmons created by turning and running after a TE, on a run play.

He is NOT covering the slot he was covering the guy lined up outside the RT.

Kennard right next to him read the play, held the edge and turned him into his ILB, who was covering the TE. I assume you are going off your memory on the play because yuo keep defending him with the same excuse where if you looked at the pic, you'd see you're wrong. Hamilton has the slot WR, Simmons has the TE but again they had already handed it off before he started chasing the TE. Hicks misread the play too the cutback fools him but the entire play happens because Simmons isn't watching the ball he guesses pass and takes off.

You must be registered for see images attach

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Honestly, if you want to go into next week with any optimism, don’t watch today’s game. I’m serious.
I will wait then, it was a great date, don’t want to be all pissed off and moody now — funny how this team can change the whole states mood, all ichy and morbid.

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Of course the football gods had to pit K2 against McVay in 1st playoff game. It just makes too much damn sense. This team going to have find a way to slay that dragon & prove its future worth

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Again look at the still pic I posted he is NOT covering the slot WR he's covering the TE, who is still behind the LOS after the ball has been handed off and Penny is steaming through the giant hole Simmons created by turning and running after a TE, on a run play.

Kennard right next to him read the play, held the edge and turned him into his ILB, who was covering the TE. I assume you are going off your memory on the play because yuo keep defending him with the same excuse where if you looked at the pic, you'd see you're wrong. Hamilton has the slot WR, Simmons has the TE but again they had already handed it off before he started chasing the TE. Hicks misread the play too the cutback fools him but the entire play happens because Simmons isn't watching the ball he guesses pass and takes off.

It looks to me like we have two players in good position to stop him. And both failed. Sure IS could have looked back, but dang man..... this aint the play to highlight IMO.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Ughh? What ? HIGHLY doubt our 3rd year QB(w 1 year of college experience) is calling the plays with the so called hire of an “offensive guru”.

Your weird hatred for Kyler and defense for a never successful coach os weird. Any Kliffy strands of hair in your closet there?
You don't think a high level NFL QB has more control over an NFL offense than a HC? Really?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ughh? What ? HIGHLY doubt our 3rd year QB(w 1 year of college experience) is calling the plays with the so called hire of an “offensive guru”.

Your weird hatred for Kyler and defense for a never successful coach os weird. Any Kliffy strands of hair in your closet there?
How long are people going to use lack of experience? HE’S AT THE END OF HIS THIRD SEASON IN THE LEAGUE AND DOESNT UNDERSTAND A HURRY UP OFFENSE.

THats a massive failure on both Kyler AND Kliff.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

This is my bad. Yes, he is covering the TE. HE is in man coverage from an inside position. He plays the same technique that every other CB is playing. They all funnel outside and turn and run. Like...I don't know how you can ask him to do that and then honor the run play.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will wait then, it was a great date, don’t want to be all pissed off and moody now — funny how this team can change the whole states mood, all ichy and morbid.
Yeah dude. Go in blind next week. You don’t want to watch the up and down and ultimately dumpster fire this week was.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
How long are people going to use lack of experience? HE’S AT THE END OF HIS THIRD SEASON IN THE LEAGUE AND DOESNT UNDERSTAND A HURRY UP OFFENSE.

I agree that Kliff is partially responsible for Kyler lack of ability in those situations.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You don't think a high level NFL QB has more control over an NFL offense than a HC? Really?
There are a few but let’s not act like QBs are all out there calling their own plays geesh. They typically run the plays that are called. I hate the argument that a young qb should just run what he sees instead of the play that’s called. Yes that can work for Brady or Rodgers, Manning etc. but for most it’s an occasional check out of a play bit alll the time.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks to me like we have two players in good position to stop him. And both failed. Sure IS could have looked back, but dang man..... this aint the play to highlight IMO.

It ended the game that TD ended the game for us. Yes others made mistakes, yes the defense scored a TD and set up another. But we gave up 3 TD's today on just completely blown assignments 2 of them by Simmons. People keep saying this defense is too complicated, the blown pass play to the WR down the sideline that one you can say maybe it's too complicated Simmons thought the CB had that the CB thought Simmons had it, but the run play is completely on Simmons. He isn't even looking at Wilson when he hands the ball off.

Kennard did his job he held the edge and made Penny run inside, Hicks took the wrong hole but that's because when he starts into the middle he doesn't expect that Simmons is going to completely abandon his run assignment and cover a TE on a run play where the RB already has the ball.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
P
I agree that Kliff is partially responsible for Kyler lack of ability in those situations.
Partially? It’s the coaches job teach all the players to things like that! I would say a lot of Kylers short comings is lack of quality coaching. They at minimum should have a QB guru QB coach or something as Kliff surely not getting it done. And Vance has to go period that whole side of the ball is terrible this year and past years, not the right guy for this team.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
H
It ended the game that TD ended the game for us. Yes others made mistakes, yes the defense scored a TD and set up another. But we gave up 3 TD's today on just completely blown assignments 2 of them by Simmons. People keep saying this defense is too complicated, the blown pass play to the WR down the sideline that one you can say maybe it's too complicated Simmons thought the CB had that the CB thought Simmons had it, but the run play is completely on Simmons. He isn't even looking at Wilson when he hands the ball off.

Kennard did his job he held the edge and made Penny run inside, Hicks took the wrong hole but that's because when he starts into the middle he doesn't expect that Simmons is going to completely abandon his run assignment and cover a TE on a run play where the RB already has the ball.
How can you say Devon did his job holding the edge but Simmons didn't taking the TE to the flat?

DK is looking right at the guy, and doesn't make the play. Hicks saw the handoff, and took the wrong hole.

We need Phillips, Watt, and friends back for us to make any noise next week.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is my bad. Yes, he is covering the TE. HE is in man coverage from an inside position. He plays the same technique that every other CB is playing. They all funnel outside and turn and run. Like...I don't know how you can ask him to do that and then honor the run play.

He's not the CB on that play he's the ILB. His man is literally lined up on next to the RT. he has to make sure where the ball is but he guessed pass, bailed out and gave up a 62 yard TD to ice the game. THat's not a mistake by the DC, that's not complicated defense, it's not even a tricky play, Wilson did fake he still had the ball but Simmons doesn't even see that he's not looking he guessed pass and took off.

ANd the worst part is he didn't even really run back not that he was going to catch him but he just took about 4 steps and gave up. Hicks is inside and he turned and ran and is the 2nd closest guy to him after Budda misses the diving attempt and Hicks is slow as molasses. Simmons runs a 4.4 40 and after completely opening the gate to let Penny into the secondary he didn't even try.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
H

How can you say Devon did his job holding the edge but Simmons didn't taking the TE to the flat?

DK is looking right at the guy, and doesn't make the play. Hicks saw the handoff, and took the wrong hole.

We need Phillips, Watt, and friends back for us to make any noise next week.

Because that's Kennard's job there hold the edge make him cut it back inside to the LB's and the DL. The problem isn't Kennard it's the guy who is supposed to be in that hole, the guy who lined up there, is Simmons. Simmons lined up inside of Kennard, the problem is he chases their TE. If you watch the whole play their linemen are all blocking left and that's what Hicks is keying on but again Hicks assumes his ILB is going to be in the hole he lined up in instead of running to the left to cover a TE on a run play.

We often talk about CB's getting caught looking in at the QB, this is a play were Simmons should have been doing the first job on the play which is who has the ball? He turns his head and starts running because he guessed pass.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I’m not using lack of experience for an excuse for Kyler - I honestly think he could call a better game. I am saying they likely won’t let him take the reigns due to his experience, but even more so because Kliffy is as hired as the GURU!

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
He's not the CB on that play he's the ILB. His man is literally lined up on next to the RT. he has to make sure where the ball is but he guessed pass, bailed out and gave up a 62 yard TD to ice the game. THat's not a mistake by the DC, that's not complicated defense, it's not even a tricky play, Wilson did fake he still had the ball but Simmons doesn't even see that he's not looking he guessed pass and took off.

ANd the worst part is he didn't even really run back not that he was going to catch him but he just took about 4 steps and gave up. Hicks is inside and he turned and ran and is the 2nd closest guy to him after Budda misses the diving attempt and Hicks is slow as molasses. Simmons runs a 4.4 40 and after completely opening the gate to let Penny into the secondary he didn't even try.
You can't ignore an outside flare route in man coverage regardless of your position playing inside leverage. He HAS to turn and run with the route because he has zero help outside as those players also have their backs to the play.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I’m not using lack of experience for an excuse for Kyler - I honestly think he could call a better game. I am saying they likely won’t let him take the reigns due to his experience, but even more so because Kliffy is as hired as the GURU!
Now we are claiming that people aren't letting our franchise QB play the way he wants to? This is where we are at?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can't ignore an outside flare route in man coverage regardless of your position playing inside leverage. He HAS to turn and run with the route because he has zero help outside as those players also have their backs to the play.

So you think penny was going to throw the ball? it's a run play they have already handed the ball off, he just guessed wrong which cost us a TD.

the reason the others have their back to the play is they are CB's, it's their job to cover the WR they don't have run responsibility at that point, Simmons does.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
and Simmons can't read to the the RB when his read is outside. His alignment literally forces him to have his eyes outside to the TE and not inside through to the RB. Again, if he should have been aligned over the TE so he could read through his man to the RB that is different, but that wasn't the case. There wasn't even a chip by the outside player. Pure man run-and-chase coverage.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Now we are claiming that people aren't letting our franchise QB play the way he wants to? This is where we are at?
I don’t even think Peyton Manning was calling his own plays regularly by year 3… where’s your point? What world are you living in?