SEA 36 AZ 6 Thoughts

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Sweet 15

Last week I was tempted to write that for the first time that I can remember since becoming a fan of the Cardinals on November 24, 1963, the Cardinals not only won 13 games in the regular season, but they were IN EVERY game.

That kind of consistency in today's NFL is extraordinary.

It is a testament to the arduous daily and weekly preparation that BA, his coaches and the players have put forth since the season ended so bitterly last year in Carolina.

Furthermore, it is a credit to SK for the job he is doing with the roster. When the team has been missing some puzzle pieces---SK has been doing all he can on a very limited budget to make the team as deep and talented as he possibly can.

I didn't write this last week because the regular season wasn't over yet and I wondered whether the Cardinals could make it a clean 16 highly competitive games in a row---which would be an all-time record, as any long-time Cardinals' fan knows.

The Run of 9

I also wanted to wait until the end of the regular season to mention the Cardinals' outstanding, unprecedented nine game winning streak, which happened to take place during the most challenging stretch of their schedule with 5 of those games on the road and, as it turned out, an unprecedented 5 games in prime-time.

In that span, the Cardinals rightfully became the darlings of the NFL. It wasn't just because they went an impressive 5-0 in the prime-time games, it was because of HOW gutsy and fast they played.

Cardinals' Envy

Let's face it---this, more than anything else---is what motivated Pete Carroll and the Seahawks to play this last game like their hair was on fire. The Cardinals this time around didn't give the Seahawks a chance to win the NFC West on the last game of the season.

When the Cardinals wrapped up the NFC West title in Philadelphia---do you think the Seahawks took notice of the Cardinals' NFC West "LOCK" t-shirts?

Not only that, after the Cardinals beat the Seahawks in Seattle---did you notice how the Seahawks, QB Russell Wilson and OC Darrell Bevell turned right around and started to open up their offense?

Stuck Between the Scylla and Charybdis:

BA and the team were stuck between a rock and a hard place in this game. The truth is the Cardinals had closed out the Seahawks a couple of weeks ago, and then they closed out the first round bye.

If anyone actually thought the Panthers were going to lose at home to the Bucs or that there was even a chance, he or she was dreaming.

After the Packers' game on SNF, an exuberant Carson Palmer spoke of how "banged up" the football team was. Palmer was not kidding. The toll of playing 15 high effort, competitive games in a row is enormous---so to ask the players to box another 12 rounds when the fight was already won was excessive and in terms of risking injury to key players, it was potentially reckless.

But, did you notice how quickly Pete Carroll, following the Seahawks' loss at home to the Rams, announced that he and his team were going to go full bore after the Cardinals?

What was BA to do?

Carroll threw down the gauntlet at him.

BA and the players did what any competitor wants to do---they accepted the challenge because they felt they had to.

But, when the reality of risking injury in this far less meaningful game hit home, you could see it in the players' faces---they were playing not to get hurt. And who can blame them? So many of them are nursing hurts and injuries as it is.

Do you think it was a supreme fluke that on the first play from scrimmage a Seahawk took a dive at Carson Palmer's leg?

Was it a fluke that the Seahawks' backup guard took a cheap shot at Cory Redding's knee?

Pete Carroll may have been basking in all his so-called glory in this game in trying to re-establish his team as the team to beat in the NFC...but....what was the potential cost?

They don't get a bye week.

They don't get a home game. Not one.

I can guarantee you that many of his players are real sore today.

They have to recreate this same energy this week at Minnesota. And if that works out for them---they have to go to Carolina to play the one team in the NFC that played competitive football in all 16 games.

Wouldn't it have been wiser to give his key players some much needed rest?

We will see.

Playing Possum?

It struck me very profoundly during this game that while the Seahawks were providing the Cardinals with a tape full of all of their schemes and creative play calling, BA and the Cardinals were being about as vanilla as vanilla gets.

Twice the defense let the Seahawks escape from huge holes---the first was when the Seahawks were backed up because of a holding penalty and they go into their wide double twins formation---which the Cardinals defend by sending twin cover men to both sides---but then right before the snap the Cardinals' FS vacates the middle and comes running up to the left side of the Seahawks' line. Instead the Seahawks run an off-tackle play to Christine Michael to the right side and he breaks through the hole and is off to the races. A total gift.

Next, on a key third and 12, the Cardinals, off of a Seahawks' timeout where the Cardinals were threatening a blitz, decide to go into a 3 man rush. Raise your hand if you think the 3 man rush is a good idea.

Even worse---if you are rushing three, that means you can play man to man on all 5 eligible receivers AND play 3 deep safeties. How in the world, then, is there no deep middle safety there to help Justin Bethel cover Tyler Lockett on a deep post? On a play where the Cardinals gave Russell Wilson all the time he could ever want? Another out and out gift.

Neither of these plays make any sense.

Like on third and eight on the Cardinals' first drive throwing a jump ball to Michael Floyd who is being blanketed by Richard Sherman. It makes no sense.

Like punting the ball beyond the coverage to Tyler Lockett---not just once but two times in a row and the even three times.

Like not even covering the FB on a play action pass. Or the 3rd and 4th string TEs on their basic play action bootlegs.

Like giving Russell Wilson the edge any time he wants it.

It was as if the Cardinals had done zero preparation for the Seahawks.

That's not like this year's team at all---sure, there are some mistakes in every game---but to look so ignorant of what the other team's schemes are is very odd indeed.

Ghostbusting:

If there was one key thing I learned from this game---those Seahawks' dusty gray road uniforms make them look like ghosts. Honest to goodness, when the camera was right behind Drew Stanton when he threw his first interception---even I, at first, had a difficult time seeing Earl Thomas sitting there underneath the route.

Maybe---seeing as the Cardinals play far better against the Seahawks when they play in white---heck, next time at U of P---make the Seahawks wear their blue jerseys. Go with the white. Just a thought.

Malcolm Gladwell---the 10,000 Hour Rule

Interesting that today SK called this game an "outlier."

What SK knows and what I believe we can all appreciate is how hard the Cardinals have worked to put themselves in this position.

In Malcom Gladwell's best-selling book, Outliers, the Story of Success, he talks about how it takes generally 10,000 hours of hard work and practice for anyone or for any group to get real good at their craft.

The Cardinals under MB, SK, BA and his staff have inspired this team to work for every little thing they've earned. Would anyone be surprised at the notion that he Cardinals this year have put in more meaningful hours of work and preparation as any football team on the planet?

The Cardinals have all the motivation in the world---and they also have all the hard work to help push them through. They have the leadership, more so than any other Cardinals' team in ages. They have leaders who are on a mission and coaches who push the players to their limits. They have a GM who is tireless. And they have an owner who a first-class human being, who lives by the mantra: "team is what it takes."

Last edited:

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Hey! Mitch...

Astute write-up. After 5 minutes of the game, I looked over at my wife who is "learning" football, and said they're FLAT! There's NO energy, NO sound, NO nothing! As the game continued I kept saying NOBODY get hurt...it was like a mantra. The out-come of the game quickly became meaning-less and you could tell by the looks/body language that the players were seeing it the same way. Only Swearinger was on "fire" looking to plaster somebody..I think the mic picked him up yelling...WE WANT YOU NOW...at the beginning of the 3rd quarter.

My only concerns at this point are the cheap shot on Cory Redding's knee and Frostee Rucker coming off the field with his shoulder tilted in the 3rd.

Hopefully, they can both heal up before our game.

Take Care, bud.

Mark :)

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It struck me very profoundly during this game that while the Seahawks were providing the Cardinals with a tape full of all of their schemes and creative play calling, BA and the Cardinals were being about as vanilla as vanilla gets.

Excellent post as always, Mitch. I always look forward to your "thoughts" posts after every game.

I think you're onto something with the "possum" thing. I have been thinking the same thing since last night. It first struck me as I listened to his interview in the post-game locker room on the radio on the way out of the stadium last night, then reinforced again today when I saw clips of his comments today. All the talk about "seeing it all week" in the lack of intensity in practices, immediately made me wonder, did he even care at that point? Or did he know this would occur naturally, and if left unchecked, would result in an unfocused, preseason-like performance on Sunday? That's certainly what we got, and he didn't seem upset at all (though we have no idea how he really feels or what went on behind closed doors afterwards). I think he maybe just let this happen, then went with all the vanilla play calls, defenses, etc., and let nature take its course. Now Seattle has no meaningful tape on us, at least not from that game, and could head into the playoffs with a huge case of overconfidence, with that lousy Rams game now completely forgotten.

Bottom line - that stinker will be forgotten long before the ball gets teed up a week from Saturday, and moving forward is all that matters. I think they'll be fine. Time will tell!

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mitch.... your first day as a fan was the Sunday after JFK was killed. Slightly off-topic... but I'm curious....what was the mood of the crowd at the game?

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch.... your first day as a fan was the Sunday after JFK was killed. Slightly off-topic... but I'm curious....what was the mood of the crowd at the game?

It was my very first pro game and so I had nothing to compare it to, Dems. But, the fans quickly got into the game. The first thing I saw when we came through the tunnel and I saw the field, were the Cardinals warming up and it was love at first sight. Really loved #8 FS Larry Wilson---it was like watching an acrobat, leaping and jumping and twisting in mid-air and racing around, getting to the ball on a dime. I loved #12 QB Charlie Johnson and #88 WR Sonny Randle on offense. Very smooth and poised, both of them.

My parents' generation was one where they didn't say too much to kids---like so many dads, including my own, who served in the war and didn't say much at all about it afterward. Men prided themselves in being the strong, quiet types. Yet, I saw so many adults crying the day JFK was assassinated. It was surreal. I loved JFK, even as an 8 year old kid. Heck, he was our hero for giving us presidential badges for passing physical fitness tests. I was always afraid of heights, but I climbed the rope to the top of the gym to get that badge.

As kids, we hated being told every day---"someday you will understand." You know, "when you are old enough."

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Astute write-up. After 5 minutes of the game, I looked over at my wife who is "learning" football, and said they're FLAT! There's NO energy, NO sound, NO nothing! As the game continued I kept saying NOBODY get hurt...it was like a mantra. The out-come of the game quickly became meaning-less and you could tell by the looks/body language that the players were seeing it the same way. Only Swearinger was on "fire" looking to plaster somebody..I think the mic picked him up yelling...WE WANT YOU NOW...at the beginning of the 3rd quarter.

My only concerns at this point are the cheap shot on Cory Redding's knee and Frostee Rucker coming off the field with his shoulder tilted in the 3rd.

Hopefully, they can both heal up before our game.

Take Care, bud.

Mark :)

Thanks, Mark!

Yes---Swearinger brings some of energy and pop we have been missing without the Honey Badger. I think we missed Markus Golden and his energy a great deal---and Josh Mauro seems to play well versus mobile QBs, because he's aggressive and yet disciplines. So it will be good to get them back.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It was my very first pro game and so I had nothing to compare it to, Dems. But, the fans quickly got into the game. The first thing I saw when we came through the tunnel and I saw the field, were the Cardinals warming up and it was love at first sight. Really loved #8 FS Larry Wilson---it was like watching an acrobat, leaping and jumping and twisting in mid-air and racing around, getting to the ball on a dime. I loved #12 QB Charlie Johnson and #88 WR Sonny Randle on offense. Very smooth and poised, both of them.

My parents' generation was one where they didn't say too much to kids---like so many dads, including my own, who served in the war and didn't say much at all about it afterward. Men prided themselves in being the strong, quiet types. Yet, I saw so many adults crying the day JFK was assassinated. It was surreal. I loved JFK, even as an 8 year old kid. Heck, he was our hero for giving us presidential badges for passing physical fitness tests. I was always afraid of heights, but I climbed the rope to the top of the gym to get that badge.

As kids, we hated being told every day---"someday you will understand." You know, "when you are old enough."

Thanks Mitch. I wore a JFK for President button in elementary school. He meant a lot to me too.

On that Sunday I'd gone outside to ride my skateboard..... endlessly.... up and down the street. I had to get away from the TV and the sadness. My mother came out to tell me his assassin had been shot. All I could think was "More violence. It will solve nothing. It won't bring him back."

I think JFK would have approved of people going to a game that day. He loved football too.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Excellent post as always, Mitch. I always look forward to your "thoughts" posts after every game.

I think you're onto something with the "possum" thing. I have been thinking the same thing since last night. It first struck me as I listened to his interview in the post-game locker room on the radio on the way out of the stadium last night, then reinforced again today when I saw clips of his comments today. All the talk about "seeing it all week" in the lack of intensity in practices, immediately made me wonder, did he even care at that point? Or did he know this would occur naturally, and if left unchecked, would result in an unfocused, preseason-like performance on Sunday? That's certainly what we got, and he didn't seem upset at all (though we have no idea how he really feels or what went on behind closed doors afterwards). I think he maybe just let this happen, then went with all the vanilla play calls, defenses, etc., and let nature take its course. Now Seattle has no meaningful tape on us, at least not from that game, and could head into the playoffs with a huge case of overconfidence, with that lousy Rams game now completely forgotten.

Bottom line - that stinker will be forgotten long before the ball gets teed up a week from Saturday, and moving forward is all that matters. I think they'll be fine. Time will tell!

Brak---I was privately hoping all week that BA would reward the Pro Bowl players with a game off, and that he would bill the game as a great opportunity to "play the youngsters." I would have liked to see some of Matt Barkley, Kerwynn Williams, Jonathan Cooper, D.J. Humphries, J.J. Nelson, Troy Niklas, Brittan Golden, Xavier Williams, Alani Fua, Shaq Riddick, Corey White, etc.

I thought that would not only have taken the air out of Pete Carroll's tires---who cares if he tries to beat up a team's young players---but I also thought that it would have kept the psychological edge the Cardinals have had when Carson Palmer has played them.

However, I respect what BA did---it was a very difficult scenario. And actually maybe this bitter taste is what the Cardinals need, for they have never had so many bandwagoners in the media and across the nation.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Thanks Mitch. I wore a JFK for President button in elementary school. He meant a lot to me too.

On that Sunday I'd gone outside to ride my skateboard..... endlessly.... up and down the street. I had to get away from the TV and the sadness. My mother came out to tell me his assassin had been shot. All I could think was "More violence. It will solve nothing. It won't bring him back."

I think JFK would have approved of people going to a game that day. He loved football too.

Beautifully said, my friend. Very true, all of it.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I observed a very vanilla approach to this game.

As BA said, we didn't get Wilson on the ground until the 4th quarter. Very few blitzes.

Nice consolation prize Pete! You guys only finished 3 games behind us.

As Kiem said, I SO want the Seahawks again this year.

First things first. Let's get ready for the next one.

Last edited:

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
Sweet 15

Last week I was tempted to write that for the first time that I can remember since becoming a fan of the Cardinals on November 24, 1963, the Cardinals not only won 13 games in the regular season, but they were IN EVERY game.

That kind of consistency in today's NFL is extraordinary.

It is a testament to the arduous daily and weekly preparation that BA, his coaches and the players have put forth since the season ended so bitterly last year in Carolina.

Furthermore, it is a credit to SK for the job he is doing with the roster. When the team has been missing some puzzle pieces---SK has been doing all he can on a very limited budget to make the team as deep and talented as he possibly can.

I didn't write this last week because the regular season wasn't over yet and I wondered whether the Cardinals could make it a clean 16 highly competitive games in a row---which would be an all-time record, as any long-time Cardinals' fan knows.

The Run of 9

I also wanted to wait until the end of the regular season to mention the Cardinals' outstanding, unprecedented nine game winning streak, which happened to take place during the most challenging stretch of their schedule with 5 of those games on the road and, as it turned out, an unprecedented 5 games in prime-time.

In that span, the Cardinals rightfully became the darlings of the NFL. It wasn't just because they went an impressive 5-0 in the prime-time games, it was because of HOW gutsy and fast they played.

Cardinals' Envy

Let's face it---this, more than anything else---is what motivated Pete Carroll and the Seahawks to play this last game like their hair was on fire. The Cardinals this time around didn't give the Seahawks a chance to win the NFC West on the last game of the season.

When the Cardinals wrapped up the NFC West title in Philadelphia---do you think the Seahawks took notice of the Cardinals' NFC West "LOCK" t-shirts?

Not only that, after the Cardinals beat the Seahawks in Seattle---did you notice how the Seahawks, QB Russell Wilson and OC Darrell Bevell turned right around and started to open up their offense?

Stuck Between the Scylla and Charybdis:

BA and the team were stuck between a rock and a hard place in this game. The truth is the Cardinals had closed out the Seahawks a couple of weeks ago, and then they closed out the first round bye.

If anyone actually thought the Panthers were going to lose at home to the Bucs or that there was even a chance, he or she was dreaming.

After the Packers' game on SNF, an exuberant Carson Palmer spoke of how "banged up" the football team was. Palmer was not kidding. The toll of playing 15 high effort, competitive games in a row is enormous---so to ask the players to box another 12 rounds when the fight was already won was excessive and in terms of risking injury to key players, it was potentially reckless.

But, did you notice how quickly Pete Carroll, following the Seahawks' loss at home to the Rams, announced that he and his team were going to go full bore after the Cardinals?

What was BA to do?

Carroll threw down the gauntlet at him.

BA and the players did what any competitor wants to do---they accepted the challenge because they felt they had to.

But, when the reality of risking injury in this far less meaningful game hit home, you could see it in the players' faces---they were playing not to get hurt. And who can blame them? So many of them are nursing hurts and injuries as it is.

Do you think it was a supreme fluke that on the first play from scrimmage a Seahawk took a dive at Carson Palmer's leg?

Was it a fluke that the Seahawks' backup guard took a cheap shot at Cory Redding's knee?

Pete Carroll may have been basking in all his so-called glory in this game in trying to re-establish his team as the team to beat in the NFC...but....what was the potential cost?

They don't get a bye week.

They don't get a home game. Not one.

I can guarantee you that many of his players are real sore today.

They have to recreate this same energy this week at Minnesota. And if that works out for them---they have to go to Carolina to play the one team in the NFC that played competitive football in all 16 games.

Wouldn't it have been wiser to give his key players some much needed rest?

We will see.

Playing Possum?

Twice the defense let the Seahawks escape from huge holes---the first was when the Seahawks were backed up because of a holding penalty and they go into their wide double twins formation---which the Cardinals defend by sending twin cover men to both sides---but then right before the snap the Cardinals' FS vacates the middle and comes running up to the left side of the Seahawks' line. Instead the Seahawks run an off-tackle play to Christine Michael to the right side and he breaks through the hole and is off to the races. A total gift.

Next, on a key third and 12, the Cardinals, off of a Seahawks' timeout where the Cardinals were threatening a blitz, decide to go into a 3 man rush. Raise your hand if you think the 3 man rush is a good idea.

Even worse---if you are rushing three, that means you can play man to man on all 5 eligible receivers AND play 3 deep safeties. How in the world, then, is there no deep middle safety there to help Justin Bethel cover Tyler Lockett on a deep post? On a play where the Cardinals gave Russell Wilson all the time he could ever want? Another out and out gift.

Neither of these plays make any sense.

Like on third and eight on the Cardinals' first drive throwing a jump ball to Michael Floyd who is being blanketed by Richard Sherman. It makes no sense.

Like punting the ball beyond the coverage to Tyler Lockett---not just once but two times in a row and the even three times.

Like not even covering the FB on a play action pass. Or the 3rd and 4th string TEs on their basic play action bootlegs.

Like giving Russell Wilson the edge any time he wants it.

It was as if the Cardinals had done zero preparation for the Seahawks.

That's not like this year's team at all---sure, there are some mistakes in every game---but to look so ignorant of what the other team's schemes are is very odd indeed.

Ghostbusting:

If there was one key thing I learned from this game---those Seahawks' dusty gray road uniforms make them look like ghosts. Honest to goodness, when the camera was right behind Drew Stanton when he threw his first interception---even I, at first, had a difficult time seeing Earl Thomas sitting there underneath the route.

Maybe---seeing as the Cardinals play far better against the Seahawks when they play in white---heck, next time at U of P---make the Seahawks wear their blue jerseys. Go with the white. Just a thought.

Malcolm Gladwell---the 10,000 Hour Rule

Interesting that today SK called this game an "outlier."

What SK knows and what I believe we can all appreciate is how hard the Cardinals have worked to put themselves in this position.

In Malcom Gladwell's best-selling book, Outliers, the Story of Success, he talks about how it takes generally 10,000 hours of hard work and practice for anyone or for any group to get real good at their craft.

The Cardinals under MB, SK, BA and his staff have inspired this team to work for every little thing they've earned. Would anyone be surprised at the notion that he Cardinals this year have put in more meaningful hours of work and preparation as any football team on the planet?

The Cardinals have all the motivation in the world---and they also have all the hard work to help push them through. They have the leadership, more so than any other Cardinals' team in ages. They have leaders who are on a mission and coaches who push the players to their limits. They have a GM who is tireless. And they have an owner who a first-class human being, who lives by the mantra: "team is what it takes."

Great post Mitch. Love the reference to Outliers, one of my favorite books. I am not sure what to think of that beat down. I am glad we didn't show much, but I really think we are headed for a showdown between Seattle and AZ in Glendale in three weeks. I am confident in the Cards, but this is the best I have ever seen Wilson play -- and that makes Seattle a huge obstacle.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Great job as always Mitch. Love this line; "I was always afraid of heights, but I climbed the rope to the top of the gym to get that badge." It is a metaphor for an American spirit and pride that was celebrated not too long ago but now seems to be frowned upon by the pessimists who buy into the anticolonialist rhetoric.... but I digress.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good analysis Mitch. I was at the game and the season ticket holders that have seats close to me really never got excited about the game. We talked more about hoping the starters especially Palmer would be pulled than what was really happening on the field. It was really like a preseason game. Seahawks fans were really into it but we could care less. I kept my binoculars glued to Palmer making sure that he got up after being hit. IMO Cards along with the fan base will be psyched up for the playoffs. BA will make sure of that.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Very astute observations Mitch. I too noticed that the Hawks dove low on their sack of Palmer, and they dove a shoulder into Corey Redding's knee. I was greatly relieved when BA pulled Palmer at the half.

I can find no fault for the way that the Cards played in this game. If anything at all, it served only to solidify any hatred that our Red Birds have for the wild sideline, (and sometimes on-field), celebrations of Pete Carrol. I don't believe for an instant, that the Cardinals will not be ready and more than willing to engage the Hawks when next they meet. While, to a man, they tanked this meaningless game together, I am convinced that they will be more than ready to take them on again in a meaningful game, all the while knowing that Carrol and Company intended to cause great physical harm to them on Sunday in Glendale.

And to Dems, I am glad that you recalled Mitch's first Cardinals game. That was such a terrible time for ALL AMERICANS, and continuing football as usual had to be of great service to our countrymen at that time. I was 21 at the time and stationed on Guam with a Navy Recon Squadron. We were immediately ordered to set Defense Condition Two, (just next to all out nuclear war), and to preflight all our planes in order to get them into the air so as to avoid being sitting targets on the ground. Although I was a registered Republican, I had voted for Kennedy. He was 'my' President and even today, I feel the tragedy of his loss. I believe that anything connected with normalcy, was much appreciated by Americans throughout our Country at that time.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Brak---I was privately hoping all week that BA would reward the Pro Bowl players with a game off, and that he would bill the game as a great opportunity to "play the youngsters." I would have liked to see some of Matt Barkley, Kerwynn Williams, Jonathan Cooper, D.J. Humphries, J.J. Nelson, Troy Niklas, Brittan Golden, Xavier Williams, Alani Fua, Shaq Riddick, Corey White, etc.

I thought that would not only have taken the air out of Pete Carroll's tires---who cares if he tries to beat up a team's young players---but I also thought that it would have kept the psychological edge the Cardinals have had when Carson Palmer has played them.

However, I respect what BA did---it was a very difficult scenario. And actually maybe this bitter taste is what the Cardinals need, for they have never had so many bandwagoners in the media and across the nation.

Agreed.

I will continue to trust BA and how he knows what buttons to push for this team.