Screw North Carolina

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$^$#^ Tar Heels.

First, they bungle the firing of Matt Doherty.
Then they hire Roy Williams from Kansas, who then takes Bill Self from Illinois.

Now, who will coach my Illini??

Hopefully, Crean from Marquette can be lured.....

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My cousin ( a bigtime Kansas fan) and I were discussing the Roy Williams deal and we came to the conclusion that Williams really screwed alot of people in all this. First, the Kansas AD was fired because Williams couldn't stand him and threatened to leave if he wasn't fired. Kansas of course said his firing had nothing to do with all that but you can bet your ass they did it hoping it would keep Roy in Lawrence.

Second Roy, screwed his KU players. 3 years ago he said he didn't want to bail on Hinrich and Collison...but now he has no problems bailing on the current players. Strange stuff. I cannot fathom what changed there. My cousin suggested that it was wierd that Collison/Hinrich were white and the current star players are black. I said it was crazy to think that but I guess only one person knows.

Third, Roy ended up screwing Illinois. I don't blame Self for going to KU. High profile program but I thought Illinois was really starting turn into a powerful team and I expected big things from them next season...bigger things than KU. The coaching domino effect isn't over as another school is waiting for the swing of the wrecking ball to fill the Illinois job. And so it continues.

I don't blame Roy necessarily for taking the UNC job but clearly he screwed alot of people and likely has blown his chance to actually build a lasting legacy which he was well on his way doing in Lawrence.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe Roy Williams went to Carolina because it was the second time the job was offered, and, if he turned it down, there would be no third offer.

I think coaches jump around too much. I feel for the Illinois program and its fans. I think Self had them going in the right direction and now it's time to bring in an entirely new coach and possibly a new plan, etc. UGH.

Hey, Illinois...Bill Frieder is available! :D

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thing that gets me about Williams/UNC is at UNC, he will always be in Dean's Shadow. At Kansas, he could have built a legacy as big as Dean's - but now he will forever be known as Dean's lapdog.

Here's to an 0-30 UNC season!!:thumbup:

Roy did screw a lot of people - and I do feel bad for the guys he left - you're right, AZCB, what does that say to the current players as to how Roy felt about them.

Bill Freider - no thanks, will leave him to "shave" in Phoenix.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dback Jon
The thing that gets me about Williams/UNC is at UNC, he will always be in Dean's Shadow. At Kansas, he could have built a legacy as big as Dean's - but now he will forever be known as Dean's lapdog.

Here's to an 0-30 UNC season!!:thumbup:

Roy did screw a lot of people - and I do feel bad for the guys he left - you're right, AZCB, what does that say to the current players as to how Roy felt about them.

Bill Freider - no thanks, will leave him to "shave" in Phoenix.

Hey screw you! :D
I hope for a 30-0 season for the Heels...
Do you know why the sky is blue?
Because God sure loves his Tar Heels! :thumbup:

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
I guess Roy Williams is going to spend the rest of his life doing what Dean Smith wants him to do. "He couldn't turn Dean down again!" :( Give me a break! Hey Roy! Be your own man. I hope Carolina misses the Big Dance. Again. :wave: