Scouting report on the Cardinals

Houdini

Registered
Reaction score
The article may or may not interest you. I always consider them interesting, but not gospel. I just hope both teams come out of the game healthy. If they meet again in the playoffs, I think it will come down to if Warner is hot or not. Below was what a few others thought.

Green Bay — Where the Arizona Cardinals' unlikely jaunt through the National Football League playoffs took them last year is what the Green Bay Packers have in mind this year.

The Cardinals (10-5) and Packers (10-5) will meet Sunday in Phoenix in a regular-season finale that could hold little or no significance. By Sunday night, Arizona might be holding its current No. 4 seeding in the NFC playoff format and Green Bay still might be No. 5, necessitating a rematch between the two teams in a wild-card game right back in the desert.

Some scouting executives and assistant coaches with teams recently matched against the Cardinals have no idea how coaches Mike McCarthy of Green Bay and Ken Whisenhunt of Arizona will handle their personnel. But two of the three favor Green Bay.

"If everybody has the same emotions, all things being equal, I would lean toward the Packers," one personnel man said. "A lot of people don't believe this, but Green Bay easily could be the best team in the NFC right now. Or the Eagles. I like all aspects of what their football team is doing."

An assistant coach said this Arizona squad was stronger than the one that beat Atlanta, Carolina and Philadelphia as the No. 4-seeded team in January before falling to Pittsburgh, 27-23, in Super Bowl XLIII.

"I think they run the ball a lot better than last year," the coach said. "I think they play defense a little better than they did last year. And they have improved a great deal on (special-teams) coverage teams from last year."

That coach is confident that the Cardinals, 18-7 in all home games under Whisenhunt, will beat Green Bay.

"I'd take Arizona at their place," he said. "I still think Green Bay has some real holes. I still think their offensive line is a little suspect and their quarterback (Aaron Rodgers) holds the ball a little bit. Against a good defense you have some problems there."

The Cardinals, a topsy-turvy 9-7 in 2008, have been more consistent in reaching the 10-victory mark for the first time in 33 years.

"Arizona's good but not a great team," another assistant said. "At the end of the day, if you want to make it a physical game, you can and you can get after them. Their scheme is difficult to handle at times (but) they're not the most physical defense you'll face.

"I think Green Bay is a better football team, I really do. I have so much respect for Dom (Capers). I think Dom will have a good scheme. They'll be able to get a rush. Green Bay will match up well."

OFFENSE

SCHEME

Coach Ken Whisenhunt, coordinator in Pittsburgh from 2004-'06, assumed the play-calling duties after coordinator Todd Haley went to Kansas City. The ascent of rookie Chris "Beanie" Wells has led Whisenhunt to use more two-TE sets and rush substantially more in the last eight games. He likes bunched-WR formations. The Cardinals rank 10th in points (24.5), 12th in yards (354.9) and tied for 29th in turnovers (33).

RECEIVERS

No team can match this WR corps. In order, it includes Larry Fitzgerald (6 feet 3 inches, 217 pounds), Anquan Boldin (6-1, 217), Steve Breaston (6-0½, 189), Early Doucet (6-0, 212) and Jerheme Urban (6-3, 207). Fitzgerald is a brilliant all-around threat who has been dogged by more concentrated coverage of late. He plays with power, aerial artistry and both strong and soft hands. Boldin is one of the game's most dominating players after the catch. On short passes, he uses his bulk to power through tacklers. Breaston, a fifth-round pick in '07, is quicker than fast and works hard to free himself from the slot. Doucet, a third-round pick in '08, took the No. 4 job from Urban about a month ago. He's another tough inside receiver with so-so speed. No slouch himself, Urban is capable of the acrobatic catch. TE Ben Patrick (6-3, 264), a first-year starter who should be back from a concussion, runs pretty well (4.74 seconds in the 40) and has picked up his blocking. Former Jet Anthony Becht (6-5, 270) is a blocker only.

OFFENSIVE LINE

LG Reggie Wells (6-3, 312), C Lyle Sendlein (6-4½, 305) and RG Deuce Lutui (6-3½, 338) all rank as slightly above-average starters. They're more effective than RT Levi Brown (6-5½, 324) and LT Jeremy Bridges (6-4, 326). Wells, a six-year starter, and Sendlein, a starter since '08, are highly consistent. Wells, a respectable athlete, is tenacious and steady. Sendlein, who wasn't drafted out of Texas in '07, is a limited athlete but is playing with more punch than a year ago and seldom makes a mistake. Lutui, a second-round pick in '06, is the prototypical RG with his thick calves, mauling tendencies and great natural strength. He doesn't recover very well but doesn't often put himself in compromising positions. Brown, the fifth pick in '07, seems to have settled down after a poor September-to-November in which he couldn't handle up-field rushers. Bridges, the replacement for injured Mike Gandy (pelvis), also lacks quick feet and isn't very physical, either.

QUARTERBACKS

At 38, Kurt Warner (6-1½, 214) ranks 12th in passer rating at 93.3. He's courageous in the pocket and tough as an old boot. He gets the ball out in a hurry. He has been killing blitzes. He has exceptional touch and accuracy, especially on the deep ball. And he has no obvious physical impairments. On the downside, he is no threat to run, gets balls batted and fumbles way too much (11). Matt Leinart (6-5, 232), a fourth-year left-hander, has a 72.2 rating in 17 starts.

RUNNING BACKS

Wells (6-1, 232), the 31st pick in the draft, has overtaken Tim Hightower (6-0, 222) as the lead back. Wells is an athletic pounder with 257 yards and a 5.3 average in the last three games. He has pick-and-slide, sub-4.5 speed, an upright running style and a good brain (22 on the Wonderlic test). Marginal in the passing game, Wells gives way in the spread offense and on most third downs to Hightower, a surprise as a fifth-round pick in '08. Hightower is another physical runner who has improved his receiving and pass blocking and plays faster than he times (4.59). Blocking FB Dan Kreider (5-11½, 250), a longtime Steeler, should be back from a neck injury. Hightower (five fumbles) and Wells (four) are major ball-security risks.

DEFENSE

SCHEME

After firing risk-taking coordinator Clancy Pendergast, Whisenhunt promoted LB coach Bill Davis, a Green Bay assistant in 2000 and a Dom Capers disciple in Pittsburgh and Carolina from 1992-'98. Davis employs a 3-4 one-gap front with Cover 3 as a base coverage. The run defense has been weak since midseason. The Cardinals are tied for eighth in takeaways (28), 10th in points (19.5) and 20th in yards (346.5).

DEFENSIVE LINE

LE Darnell Dockett (6-3½, 285) is a penetrating, havoc-producing, high-energy player. A tremendous athlete with a mean streak, he likes to shoot gaps and disrupt blockers. Long-armed RE Calais Campbell (6-8, 290), a second-round pick in '08, is just 23 but maturing rapidly. He's physically gifted, gives top effort and plays with excellent leverage despite his height. He's a solid rusher at RT in dime. NT Bryan Robinson (6-4, 304) plays a drop-to-the-knee technique and, at 35, still clogs it up adequately. He can't rush at all. He shares snaps with chubby Gabe Watson (6-3½, 329), who's just OK. DEs Kenny Iwebema (6-4, 280) and Alan Branch (6-5½, 338) play extensively and are useful.

LINEBACKERS

For now, the Cardinals have to be content with old pros Clark Haggans (6-3½, 243) at LOLB, Chike Okeafor (6-4½, 256) at ROLB in base and LE in dime, and Bertrand Berry (6-2½, 254) at RE in dime. Haggans, 32, is able to double back on his arc rushes and slip into some sacks. Okeafor, 33, is a converted DE without much creativity or speed as a rusher. He is smart (26 on the Wonderlic) and a hard charger. Berry, 34, uses his hands well and beat Minnesota LT Bryant McKinnie for two sacks in Week 12. Every now and then he turns the corner. WILB Karlos Dansby (6-3½, 250) has outstanding speed (4.65), coverage ability and big-play pelts on the wall. Sometimes his instincts appear off and he's not great at the point. SILB Gerald Hayes (6-1, 246), a four-year starter, is an old-fashioned run stuffer but has been nursing a bad back and hasn't been as formidable. That's a key reason why the run defense has slipped.

SECONDARY

The leader is Adrian Wilson (6-2½, 230), an elite in-the-box safety who plays LB in the dime. Wilson, 30, tackles superbly, blitzes effectively, delivers crushing hits and can be an intimidating presence. In coverage, he will bite on play fakes and will struggle when matched against speed TEs. FS Antrel Rolle (6-0½, 208), a converted CB, has above-average range and likes to hit. Rookie FS Rashad Johnson (5-11, 203), a third-round pick, plays alongside Rolle in dime. He's a smart ball-hawk and so-so tackler. In order, the CBs are Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (6-1½, 182), former Steeler Bryant McFadden (5-11½, 190) and Michael Adams (5-8, 181). Rodgers-Cromartie has 4.30 speed, extremely long arms, phenomenal athletic ability and can mirror almost any WR. However, he gambles too much looking for the big play, takes a me-first approach at times and is a timid tackler. McFadden understands his speed limitations (4.52), plays to his help, is coachable and hits hard. Last month, Adams' superior quickness won him the slot job over veteran Ralph Brown.

SPECIAL TEAMS
Neil Rackers, a top-flight kicker, has missed two games with a torn groin and should return for the playoff opener. Mike Nugent, a bust with the Jets, doesn't have close to Rackers' leg strength. Australian P Ben Graham, who was with three teams in '08, has pretty good leg strength and is tied for fourth in net average (40.5). His nose-down pooch punts have resulted in 39 inside the 20. Breaston should call for more fair catches but is dangerous on punts. Rookie LaRod Stephens-Howling is tiny, tough and not real elusive. Coverage has improved in '09.

rode kardinaal

Registered
Reaction score
Pretty fair scouting report.

And i can also see why some of the coaches favor the Packers. They are dangerous and all-round, with a much better defense than ours, at least statistically. And not to mention hot. I would rather play Dallas. I would rather play New Orleans or Minnesota actually.

Last edited:

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
LG Reggie Wells (6-3, 312), C Lyle Sendlein (6-4½, 305) and RG Deuce Lutui (6-3½, 338) all rank as slightly above-average starters. They're more effective than RT Levi Brown (6-5½, 324) and LT Jeremy Bridges (6-4, 326). Wells, a six-year starter, and Sendlein, a starter since '08, are highly consistent. Wells, a respectable athlete, is tenacious and steady. Sendlein, who wasn't drafted out of Texas in '07, is a limited athlete but is playing with more punch than a year ago and seldom makes a mistake. Lutui, a second-round pick in '06, is the prototypical RG with his thick calves, mauling tendencies and great natural strength. He doesn't recover very well but doesn't often put himself in compromising positions. Brown, the fifth pick in '07, seems to have settled down after a poor September-to-November in which he couldn't handle up-field rushers. Bridges, the replacement for injured Mike Gandy (pelvis), also lacks quick feet and isn't very physical, either.

QUARTERBACKS

At 38, Kurt Warner (6-1½, 214) ranks 12th in passer rating at 93.3. He's courageous in the pocket and tough as an old boot. He gets the ball out in a hurry. He has been killing blitzes. He has exceptional touch and accuracy, especially on the deep ball. And he has no obvious physical impairments. On the downside, he is no threat to run, gets balls batted and fumbles way too much (11). Matt Leinart (6-5, 232), a fourth-year left-hander, has a 72.2 rating in 17 starts.

RUNNING BACKS

Hightower (five fumbles) and Wells (four) are major ball-security risks.

DEFENSE

Rodgers-Cromartie has 4.30 speed, extremely long arms, phenomenal athletic ability and can mirror almost any WR. However, he gambles too much looking for the big play, takes a me-first approach at times and is a timid tackler.

I think that these issues I've outlined will decide our playoffs fate.

We need consistency and constancy from all the above to make another run.

Go Cardinals! :newcards:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think people haven't noticed Beanie's improvement in the passing game in recent weeks.

He's only got 12 catches, but he didn't have a single catch in the first 4 games and has had at least 1 catch in 10 of the last 11. Warner has developed confidence in him, as has Whiz and they're starting to use him.

Had a 25 yard catch against the Rams last week, 24 against SF 2 weeks earlier, and he's averaging 12 YPC. teams still think when he's in, we're going to run, and we're finding ways to burn them with that. He's certainly not a go to receiver but teams can't ignore him anymore, and his pass blocking has improved too. It's been fun to watch he's becoming a more complete back at the same time Hightower has become a better runner.

The thing that jumps out at you about the Packers is all the interceptions, they have picked off 27 passes this year, and only thrown 7, add in 12 fumble recoveries and they're a ball hawking team.

They have 3 wins all year that are impressive, Dallas, SF(hey they beat us twice) and Baltimore. They really only have one bad loss, to Tampa Bay.
They throw the ball very well, they run it well and the defense is pretty solid.

Honestly given their schedule and a + 22 turnover margin it's surprising they only have 10 wins.

Should be a good game if that's who we play in the playoffs.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Honestly given their schedule and a + 22 turnover margin it's surprising they only have 10 wins.

interesting

also interesting is that the Cardinals are -5 and have 10 wins. BTW -- the Cardinals are the only team in the NFC with a negative t/o ratio and a winning record.

It really comes down the this: when the Cardinals take care of the ball, they win.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
I think people haven't noticed Beanie's improvement in the passing game in recent weeks.

He's only got 12 catches, but he didn't have a single catch in the first 4 games and has had at least 1 catch in 10 of the last 11. Warner has developed confidence in him, as has Whiz and they're starting to use him.

Had a 25 yard catch against the Rams last week, 24 against SF 2 weeks earlier, and he's averaging 12 YPC. teams still think when he's in, we're going to run, and we're finding ways to burn them with that. He's certainly not a go to receiver but teams can't ignore him anymore, and his pass blocking has improved too. It's been fun to watch he's becoming a more complete back at the same time Hightower has become a better runner.

The thing that jumps out at you about the Packers is all the interceptions, they have picked off 27 passes this year, and only thrown 7, add in 12 fumble recoveries and they're a ball hawking team.

They have 3 wins all year that are impressive, Dallas, SF(hey they beat us twice) and Baltimore. They really only have one bad loss, to Tampa Bay.
They throw the ball very well, they run it well and the defense is pretty solid.

Should be a good game if that's who we play in the playoffs.

Russ, Very astute comments about Beanie and his blooming pass catching abilities. Defenses cannot afford to ignore him anymore as either a run or pass threat. The fact that they tend to think run when he is in the backfield, is just the ticket for Kurt to Beanie for 12 plus. I like that feature a lot.

Houdini------thanks for the scouting report. Great stuff included.

Last edited:

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Hightower (five fumbles) and Wells (four) are major ball-security risks.

The Packers are outstanding at forcing turnovers. This is something the Cardinals have to be very, very careful with this week. Avoid the turnovers, and Cardinals should be victorious. Turn the ball over via interceptions or fumbles and you almost guarantee defeat in this game.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave